Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
GoDux

Can't find part-please help!

We recently purchased a 2019 328RL. I noticed the lower sheet metal/side panel bowing out and looked underneath and the hand-bendable aluminum strap was that connects the panel to the frame was broke in half. Instead of bugging the dealership who is a couple hours away, I thought someone here might know where to find that material so I can replace it myself? The local home supply store(similar to Home Depot) didn't have any idea where to find it. Thanks in advance for the assistance. If I don't get any ideas looks like the dealer it is.
GoDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
notanlines

Pictures, pictures, pictures. We probably won't know how to replace the exact bracket, but if we saw it we could tell you how to jerry-rig a new, better configuration.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

As best I can tell is they make them out of junk metal - and place about 1/2 as many as they should. My braces have broken 3 times. Every time on a long trip, every time the J wrap panel comes out from under the metal transition stip/molding and bows and every time I'm stuck trying to loosen it all and try to make it work until I can get to a landing place.

At the moment I have repaired the broken ones with 4' aluminum strips that I cut and bend to match the contour of the side panels and the bend at the bottom (mine are primarily problematic on my slides). I have added additional supports on the long stretches that only have 1 support - none had 2. They love screwing them into the fenders. My solution is not the best, nor even ideal, but it's in the shop right now. I intend to fabricate something when I get it back so this doesn't happen any longer.

I have found that, on my trailer at least, the metal transition strip between the side walls and the J wrap at the bottom is screwed into the wall only. It ''tries" to capture the top of the J wrap under it but has never been successful. I figure the screws in the strip were supposed to hit the top of the J wrap but.....they missed. I've had 3 of the 4 long sections come out and they were all the same. Maybe that was the intention...but it wasn't well thought out. What I decided this last time (just repaired again before it went into the shop) is that the screws missing the top of the metal is intentional. The transition strip clamps the top of the metal panel to keep it straight and give a tiny bit of support. The support pieces between the floor and the bottom of the J wrap are essentially what was designed to keep the side supported "up" and to keep it from flopping. If that is so they need more supports - which I will rectify when I get the trailer back.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #4
{tpc}

I haven't had those break but I have had some of the screws back out. I've also had the skirting crack, sometimes split all the way through, but I've been able to patch it back fairly well from the backside so it isn't very noticeable. It made it through this last year, but not sure how its held up through the winter. With the weather we have been having I'm not sure its done being winter yet lol.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I do not post photos, I was looking at reducing the flex also and considered the flex may also be causing fenders to crack. After looking at the supports, I found none were broke, but lacking good support.
I had left over metal corner pieces used on lap house siding. I cut and bent some and screwed them into place and they work really well. At no cost to me and now the flexing is gone. No one will ever know unless they go under the trailer and look. I got them at home depot years ago.
Edit: they are listed as lap siding corner trim at .78 each. I think a walk through HD may turn up many other items that would also work better than the Keystone straps.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
dmcc625

Aluminum Flat

You can purchase 3/4” or 1” wide flat aluminum that is 1/8” thick in 3’, 4’, 6’, and 8’ lengths. This makes excellent material to cut to length and bend at an angle to make new or replacement skirt brackets. I used this to replace my broken brackets and I also added 2 additional brackets on each side to help stiffen the sidewall metal and skirts. I attached the brackets with stainless screws for cosmetic reasons. These aluminum flat pieces can be purchased at Lowe’s, HD, and even tractor supply
dmcc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Bullet Boy

That strapping is just aluminum stock. It can be found at Home Depot or any good hardware store. Pay close attention to the tek screws location, I had to remove my strapping as to inspect under the clorplast for a leak. Turns out it was the screw holding the skirt strap and it was to the inside edge of vehicle frame and my FW tank sits on that, they managed to shoot the screw into my tank. It pays to be handy when owning an RV. You can also use rigid galvanized pipe strap, it does equally the same job.
Bullet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote