Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
ftm

12 Volt Disconnect on Raptor 300

Because I am a newbee, have been using this quite a bit and it sure has been helpful. The 12 Volt disconnect switch inside the unit, when should it be diconnected. The owners manual leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks
ftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftm View Post
Because I am a newbee, have been using this quite a bit and it sure has been helpful. The 12 Volt disconnect switch inside the unit, when should it be diconnected. The owners manual leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks
GOOD Question, here is how I look at this crazy switch in our Raptor. It opens the circuit from the batteries to the 12 VDC power distribution panel/Converter. Therefore if you want to disable the majority of 12 VDC devices in the coach you use this switch. Remember when that key switch is turned to the label Battery Disconnect (Horizontal) position key will not come out and the battery is now connected to the power distribution panel. In the vertical removable position the battery is disconnected. This labeling makes no sense to me but that is what it is. Keep in mind even if this switch is in a position to disconnect the battery, there are devices that continue to have 12 VDC applied to them such as front landing gear, break away switch, CO, Propane, and fire Alarms, etc. Basically these devices are wired directly to the batteries and not feed from the power distribution panel. As stated in other posts using this switch to disconnect the battery will not prevent the battery from running down. One of these days I will walk around and see what is not disabled.

Now that being said, if you are connected to shore power and the switch is in a position to disconnect the batteries/Converter. Your converter will feed all 12 VDC devices BUT since the circuit open to batteries Converter will not charge them NOT GOOD

Not my favorite switch. Hope that helps in a few words
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
hoffbrew

So is it good to leave switch on when plugged in at camp grounds? I have been turning it off after all settled in. When at home plugged in, I have it on for a week, then unplug and turn switch off for a week, then again and again... Just an excuse to grab a beer and check on rig.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
ftm

12 Volt disconnect

Thanks PARAPTOR,
What you are saying makes me realize that maybe I need to leave it on even when it is hooked up to shore lines.
ftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #5
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
So is it good to leave switch on when plugged in at camp grounds? I have been turning it off after all settled in. When at home plugged in, I have it on for a week, then unplug and turn switch off for a week, then again and again... Just an excuse to grab a beer and check on rig.
Mine stays in the backyard plugged in when not traveling. I have never had a reason to use a battery cutoff switch, but when storing it someplace with no electric it might be useful, but as PARAPTOR said, it does NOT shut off everything 12V, so you still have to disconnect the battery IMO. I'm not sure why you are turning the switch off while using the trailer though. I can find lots of excuses to grab a beer, there's always a supply in the fridge since it's always plugged in.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
hoffbrew

When I looked at this switch I figured it shut off batteries, instead of disconnecting a battery. My old Raptor did not have this switch and if I did not disconnect a battery it would drain and fast. Why have this switch then? I was told by dealer I could turn off switch while plugged in and everything works and wont drain batteries?? Maybe I miss understood? Thats it.. I am selling it!!! lol
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
canesfan

I don't understand why they did what they did. It doesn't make sense to me to have a battery shutoff that doesn't shutoff the battery from EVERYTHING. Maybe somebody can come up with a good reason, I can't.

I think your dealer doesn't understand. The battery is charging while you are plugged in, why would you want to disconnect it???
Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I don't understand why they did what they did. It doesn't make sense to me to have a battery shutoff that doesn't shutoff the battery from EVERYTHING. Maybe somebody can come up with a good reason, I can't.

I think your dealer doesn't understand. The battery is charging while you are plugged in, why would you want to disconnect it???
I;m not trying to "justify" Keystone's thinking.... I'm not sure even they understand what they think all the time..... But I'm sure safety has a lot to do with how the battery cutoff switch is wired.....

Somewhere along the way, the RV manufacturers decided to add a switch to cut off the battery. They concluded that the trailer brakes needed to remain hooked up, then someone else suggested the propane detector needed to also stay connected.... on and on, and now we have "half the trailer' that stays connected and half that gets disconnected. I've no doubt the halfs aren't the same at Forest River, or Airstream or ???? So, there's no real explanation other than to think that it's a "whim decision"..... If you really want it disconnected, you can do like I did and put an additional battery cut-off switch on the negative terminal of the battery. That way, EVERYTHING is disconnected..... Good Luck in trying to figure out their "logical reasoning !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
hoffbrew

Is it possible that the batteries can overcharge while plugged in and parked? OR will it stop charging when complete, like the golf carts? I am liking JRTJH explanation the best!!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
Is it possible that the batteries can overcharge while plugged in and parked? OR will it stop charging when complete, like the golf carts? I am liking JRTJH explanation the best!!
Did you sell your Battery Disconnect Switch yet Our Converters are supposed to be multistage so should reduce to a trickle charge when batteries are charged.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
hoffbrew

lol.. I meant selling the trailer...
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #12
Drew Waller

12 Volt issues

Reading everyone else problems with the 12 volt system verifies there's nothing wrong with mine! If you get what I mean. I've already gone thru one set of batteries. Yesterday I found a way to turn off that Amp for the stereo by going thru all the fuses and pulling them one at a time. I found 2 that would disconnect the amp and one of the alarms. Its a pain but that has to be done before letting the camper sit idle for a few weeks. I'm looking into installing a switch off the battery that kills everything! Those batteries cost too much to have them freeze in the winter because they lose their charge from draining.

2015 Chevy Crew Cab 3500
Duramax/Allison Tran.
2013 Raptor 332 Toy Hauler
TrailAir Tri-Glide
2 Honda ATV's for climbing
mountains & getting muddy.
Traveling Partners: Dozer & Zeus
Drew Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #13
canesfan

Hoffbrew, Your converter "should" keep the batteries charged and stop charging them when they are full. You "shouldn't" have to worry about over charging them. You do need to check the water in them from time to time.

I think I agree with JRTJH also. Good explanation!!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Waller View Post
Reading everyone else problems with the 12 volt system verifies there's nothing wrong with mine! If you get what I mean. I've already gone thru one set of batteries. Yesterday I found a way to turn off that Amp for the stereo by going thru all the fuses and pulling them one at a time. I found 2 that would disconnect the amp and one of the alarms. Its a pain but that has to be done before letting the camper sit idle for a few weeks. I'm looking into installing a switch off the battery that kills everything! Those batteries cost too much to have them freeze in the winter because they lose their charge from draining.
Sad to say but that is the only way to find out what goes where and document it, KS did not. Unfortunately we can not share that information, factory would not dare make two units of the same year and model the same I still am convinced factory workers have meetings through out the day to discuss "HOW are we going to make this next one" I am bored

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
canesfan

My fuses are "documented" right there on the panel...one says ~ls:", another say )~/*(, another says weater, etc.