Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 07:25 PM   #1
Nwad

Stolen - ?

Neighbor is trying to sell me a cougar rv - the price is too good to be true. It’s looks fairly new in good shape. He has no title, it’s not registered and he doesn’t have insurance on it. Told me he would give me a bill of sale.

I don’t trust him. I heard through the grapevine before he brought it out here to the country that someone may have had it stolen because they couldn’t afford it anymore so that the insurance would pay it off and that it being out here in the country, no one would ever find it. Either that or it was stolen and he bought it from the person who stole it. so anyway, I tried to find Vin number on it when he wasn’t looking and I found a couple of different labels. I don’t know what the numbers mean on either label but I would hope it helps track it down or if there is a way for me to find out if this is a legit deal or if he’s trying to get rid of a Stolen Rv.

I will post photos of the labels. I took pictures of the only tags/labels I could find that were on this RV. Maybe someone can help me backtrack them or point me in the right direction that if this was a stolen for insurance or if this was stolen to sell or something because I do not want to buy something That someone had stolen or that someone stole.

The one photo you could tell they took the dealership name off, which I think said
“ Demontrond” . I believe the RV came from somewhere in or near Houston or South Texas area.

If it was an insurance scam, I will gladly give you the persons information who is in possession of this RV which I think is stolen and I believe he knew it was stolen when he bought for a really cheap price.
This is what his ex mentioned in a round about way…

it if there’s a way to figure out if it was stolen in some shape or form that would be great.

Thanks in advance
dmg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6709.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	46115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6708.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	46116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6710.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	46117  
Old 01-30-2024, 07:44 PM   #2
xrated

The only comment I'll make about this is.....the VIN on trailers are similar to one that you have on cars and trucks. It will be a 17 digit, alpha-numeric sequence and is normally located on the side of the trailer, up front, on the street side.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 01-30-2024, 07:58 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Yup. There is a trailer VIN on the street side forward corner of the trailer. If that VIN plate has been removed, the VIN is also engraved in the trailer A-frame (for travel trailers) or in the pin box (for fifth wheels). The VIN decal will look something like this photo. Take the VIN to the state police or city police or to the Vehicle Registrar's office and any of them can run the VIN to tell you the "title/registration status" of the trailer. If it's stolen, it'll be in the nationwide database. If it has a "rebuilt title" in the database, that means it was previously declared a "total loss" and the insurance company salvaged it. It could have been rebuilt or it could have been repaired. Either way, it may not meet your insurance company's requirements for insurance protection. You'll need to ask your insurance agent about that, but first you need to get the current "title and registration status" from a state agency.

I wouldn't buy it even if he was selling it for pennies on the dollar. You simply don't want the police knocking on your door at midnight with a search warrant and a set of handcuffs to take you in, book you for vehicle theft and then let your attorney try to explain what happened next week.....

Steer clear until you know the status of the trailer !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PASSPORT 2810we VIN STICKER.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	46118  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-31-2024, 05:26 AM   #4
notanlines

DeMontrond RV is an RV Dealer in six Texas cities. One visit to one of these dealerships (not a phone call) will answer your questions. However, I would make a visit to my local sheriff AND then run as far away from this deal as possible. It walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck. Guess what's for dinner.....yep, duck!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-31-2024, 05:35 AM   #5
jasin1

nope staying out lol
Old 01-31-2024, 11:50 AM   #6
LHaven

Ask him straight out for the VIN so you can "run it through Carfax for the repair history, which I do on every vehicle I buy."
Old 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
is normally located on the side of the trailer, up front, on the street side.
...until your dip*t detailer buffs it right off the decal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3337.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	46136  
Old 01-31-2024, 02:12 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Aside from looking on the frame for an engraved or stamped VIN. Try looking inside the main entry door for a yellow sticker on the hinge-side of the door frame. It is often a second location for the VIN and loading info.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
Old 02-01-2024, 02:08 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I have a 2002 and the decal on the front driver side is totally illegible but the VIN is stamped on the driver's side of the pin. Without the VIN, you can't determine if the camper was ever totaled by an insurance company (read flood) and if it has been, insurance will be hard to come by.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 02-01-2024, 06:44 PM   #10
TXiceman

Call your local DMV and ask them to run the VIN.

Ken
Old 02-01-2024, 08:54 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Call your local DMV and ask them to run the VIN.

Ken
As I understood it based on earlier posts, he can't find it. The VIN will be stamped on the pin or A frame on a bumper pull.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
Old 03-04-2024, 11:18 AM   #12
Nwad

I know what a vin is and I google where to find it on this cougar rv - it’s no where to be found. I was underneath with a flashlight, looked on tongue inside of it and outside….looked under sink - nothing but the two stickers I posted.
No title or registration…
I’m not going to buy it but the guy has been starting crap with me so I want to report it stolen or I’m sure it was used in an insurance scam.

The two stickers I posted won’t be able to help me? Should I email the company on the sticker? Email keystone? Thanks

When he called the law on me for blocking the road I told the officer it was stolen - he said unless it was reported stolen - nothing he could do.

This guy bought it in houston for $3500 from his friend who was helping sell it for the owner so I’m guessing he could get insurance to pay it off and still make a little money and not be stuck with an rv they didn’t want any longer. The guy who bought it in houston. (Harris county) brought it to sargent texas (matagorda county).
Old 03-04-2024, 01:10 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I would recommend not trying to imitate Dick Tracy or Colombo. If you suspect the trailer was stolen or if you just want to "get even for past aggressions" I would urge you to simply contact the local law enforcement and give them your suspicions. If there is something to follow up, it'll be law enforcement, not you that enforces the law.

About all you can do as a private citizen is "get in the way" or "screw things up so their trail of evidence becomes useless in court"....

Stay out of the amateur detective role and let the professionals handle it.

If you and he are "at odds" and he called LE on you for "blocking the road" there is likely an escalation of friendly/unfriendly emotions. The LAST thing you want is for him to get physical. I'd steer clear and STOP trying to get even.....

This forum is not a means to "get advice to enforce a personal vendetta against anyone.

YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-04-2024, 07:10 PM   #14
Nwad

Law is useless in BFE.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM   #15
Nwad

No vin located anywhere. I searched high and low
Old 03-04-2024, 07:17 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwad View Post
Law is useless in BFE.
The "law may be useless in BFE" but this forum is not I REPEAT NOT a place to carry out a personal argument with someone over what you think may be a stolen trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Closed Thread