Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2024, 08:53 AM   #1
Randallt

HEAVY rain, small water leak, 23 Bullet

Hi folks. If you are reading this today in the eastern US, you are probably chuckling at the title, as in “not shocked”. A small leak has revealed itself at the inside decorative seam on the front wall. When looking closer, I discovered the twin USB ports under the wardrobe are rusty, suggesting this isn’t the first time. I bought the camper new 6 months ago but this is the first time anything inside got wet.

Before contacting my Camping World dealer and pursuing a warranty fix, I thought I would come in and ask around for advice on approaching this and what to expect from the dealer. I imagine the fix involves re-sealing an exterior seam up top somewhere after a close inspection. The storms are out of here by late afternoon and I am planning an initial look up top before I call, but I would be thankful for advice going forward. In the photos you can see that the width of the leaking section is only a few feet wide and I realize that the interior leak point is not necessarily related to the exterior leak point’s location. Thanks in advance. Stay safe out there today!
Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 AM   #2
Randallt

Old 01-09-2024, 09:31 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You stated: "...and I am planning an initial look up top before I call"

I'd ask, "Have you ever inspected the roof seals and seams since you've owned the trailer" ????

If not, then you have a "mandatory inspection that has not yet been done"...

If you read through this forum and any other RV forum, you'll quickly identify a significant issue with "unsealed seams and missing/damaged sealant".

I'm not "blaming you for the leak" but rather suggesting that "If you haven't inspected and resealed any questionable areas" then you haven't fulfilled your obligation to maintain your trailer's warranty. The 2023 Owner's Manual "maintenance requirement chart" establishes a "roof inspection/seal/reseal" requirement be done every 3 months".

The Owner's Manual states: "- Any water leaks or related consequential damages that are a result of your failure to properly maintain the exterior seals as required in the Owner’s Manual."

Now, WHY am I taking time to type all of this???

You need to be prepared when you talk to the dealership to establish that you have not voided your 1 year warranty by failing to inspect the roof after 3 months of ownership... I would suggest that you not bring up the topic of "roof leak warranty", but let the dealership "guide the conversation" and you be prepared to state that you are aware of the roof inspection requirement and that you completed it as required by the maintenance chart in the Owner's Manual.

If, when you talk to them and they ask when you inspected/resealed the roof and your answer goes something like, "It's covered for the first year, I haven't inspected the roof until I saw the leak" then you've potentially opened a denial of repair situation.

How you handle this could either result in a denial of repair or result in Keystone approving repairs.

So, read your Warranty exclusions as well as the inclusions and make certain that you're able to confirm that you have completed all required maintenance.... Saying the "wrong thing" to the service writer may void your warranty and make you responsible for all inspection/repair charges....

Choose your words wisely !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:52 AM   #4
Randallt

Thanks John, I understood my responsibility for the roof after reading the owners manual and warranty guide when I first purchased the camper, but thanks for leading with that. I had noticed the Warranty Guide was very clear about his. I have climbed on top every six to eight weeks to spray off leaves and twigs and I never observed anything suspicious. I did make a note of those in my owners manual notes section along with my early water heater issues. I realize now that I didn’t use the Warranty Guide’s Maintenance Log, just the Manual’s “notes” pages in the back. I hope that is going to be acceptable. During the fall, I also climbed to the edge all around and used a leaf blower every week. I haven’t been back up top since mid November. That’s about it. Am I missing something? Thanks again for your reply.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:07 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

That's about all you could have done, Randall. My concern was just that you not "deep six any warranty claim" by calling the dealership, requesting an appointment for warranty work and then when they asked you when you last inspected the roof, you didn't answer that it's not your job until after the first year.......

I don't think it really matters HOW you document the inspections/maintenance as much as it is that you document it "somewhere".... As long as you can show that you've done your part, then the rest should be up to the dealer to move forward to Keystone. As long as you've got some "proof you checked the roof and it appeared OK" then you should be covered.

It sounds like you've got your "bases covered" and hopefully the dealer's service will get you in quickly. Make sure you stress that you've done everything to keep the warranty requirements met and you expect this to be a warranty repair... That way the dealership and you start on the same page. Then, it's a matter of what they report to Keystone.

Good Luck.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, leak, water, water leak