Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 AM   #21
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Where you at? Livingston Texas or Livingston Montana? I'll assume Livingston Texas and maybe Escapees.
Where did you buy it?
I think your service shop choices are Holiday World, with the Willis shop being closer, or the Keystone dealer in Nacogdoches. I think I would call both them and judge their reaction on which one to use.
Please keep us posted. This has been a continuing problem and one would have thought Keystone had solved it by now.
We are based in Livingston, TX. Yes we are Escapees. At this time we are in New Hampshire and likely will be until the first of June. We plan to go to Burlington VT from here. We are spending time with family while we can.

I am thinking about determining how much flex I have from the pin box to the frame in an attempt to find out if I have main frame problems. If I don’t have main frame problems I will search around to find someone that can remove some of the fiberglass as others have done to find the problem. I hope at worst I will have to do some aluminum frame repair around the slide as well as reenforce it, then do the fiberglass repairs. If I have main frame problems I will have to come up with a new plan.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #22
ChuckS

I think I would contact Keystone directly. This has been an on going issue with some of the Alpines. 2016 and 2017. See if they won’t good will repair and I’d also take it to the factory for repair.
If the verbiage is done right with calmness you might be able to arrange a repair date and they might put you up in accommodations.
Maybe not but I’d have to get that fixed quickly. You already have delamination under the skin and it’s only gonna get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #23
Tbos

Find out who Brad2388 talked to at Keystone. You never know, lets hope they cover it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #24
dcg9381

I'd do this differently... I'd want a dealer to document it as pre-existing stress from "frame flex" if possible and get that in writing. Then push Keystone.

The other option here is to just eat it - drop the belly pan, figure out how they are bracing those frames and then take that crack to a fiberglass/boat repair place for patching... Or leave it - it appears to be coated in a sealant anyway (I assume that's not factory).
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #25
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
I'd do this differently... I'd want a dealer to document it as pre-existing stress from "frame flex" if possible and get that in writing. Then push Keystone.

The other option here is to just eat it - drop the belly pan, figure out how they are bracing those frames and then take that crack to a fiberglass/boat repair place for patching... Or leave it - it appears to be coated in a sealant anyway (I assume that's not factory).

You would probly be best to fix it yourself.
You can buy sheets of filon and redo the front portion yourself.

I spoke with service about our pinbox flex earlier today. Btw the new wall is in and on the camper. They are reskinning every slideout so everything matches.

She went and spoke with the techs over my camper and the flex is normal/within specs. So even though my wall broke the flex it ok.

I didnt sound to thrilled when she told me but she said flex has to be in there to keep from breaking the interior floor and roof.

The problems are in the wall where the slideouts are cut in and not braced properly. They are stuffing the tubes with wood and driving 12” long bolts up from the bottom for strength.

This means the fron cap has to come off.

brad2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
dcg9381

Ugh.. (if that bracing is cut).

This is one of those that I push really, really, really, hard to get warrantied. It's going to need to start with a dealer documenting that this occurred due to a factory defect.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #27
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Ugh.. (if that bracing is cut).

This is one of those that I push really, really, really, hard to get warrantied. It's going to need to start with a dealer documenting that this occurred due to a factory defect.

When i asked about a structure warranty they said they look at them case by case.
Even out of warranty.

I started with keystone care. Than they sent me to a dealer to repair it. They tried twice and failed both times. I pushed keystone to come get it the last time and they did.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #28
brad2388

I will add that ours broke on july 21 2017. And its just now being fixed right.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #29
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I think I would contact Keystone directly. This has been an on going issue with some of the Alpines. 2016 and 2017. See if they won’t good will repair and I’d also take it to the factory for repair.
If the verbiage is done right with calmness you might be able to arrange a repair date and they might put you up in accommodations.
Maybe not but I’d have to get that fixed quickly. You already have delamination under the skin and it’s only gonna get worse.

I am going to try to contact Keystone this week. I tried to contact them through the customer contact link on their web page but it doesn’t work. I need to find another way.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
Don_T

I found the Lippert document titled Upper Deck Flex Measurement and made the measurements as best I could without removing fiberglass. Measurements show 1/2” of flex on the door side and 3/4” flex on the off door side. Unfortunately Lippert does not give tolerances on the document so I don’t know if I have a problem or not. I do know the 3” long crack does open up a bit with the weight on the hitch instead of on the landing jacks. I have included the document if it works for me.

Thanks for all the input. This is the best place I have found for Keystone questions and answers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upper Deck Flex Measurement With Dimensions.pdf (211.3 KB, 407 views)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #31
Micslam

Don Chuck and Brad

Don Chuck and Brad. Or anyone else with this crack. Are you still on this thread?????
Micslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #32
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micslam View Post
Don Chuck and Brad. Or anyone else with this crack. Are you still on this thread?????
I am still here. I have done nothing about this as I have not moved the camper in over a year. I talked to Keystone and they said I am on my own as it is out of warranty. I am going to talk to the people at the Keystone Service Center about taking it to them this fall. I guess it costs what it costs to fix it. I just hope they don’t overcharge and under repair it.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Don,

Which Keystone Service Center are you referring to? An independent facility or a "factory sponsored repair center" (other than a dealership) ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #34
brad2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micslam View Post

Sorry yes im still here. I had trouble logging in to the site.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #35
CWtheMan

Our Everest developed similar cracks from the corners of the bedroom slide. We took it by a Keystone service center in FL. They would have repaired them but the down time was too long because it was our only home and we were constantly traveling. I stopped drilled both cracks and observed them for about a month. When I was satisfied they were not going to crack beyond the stop drill holes I prepared some light 5052 aluminum sheet metal and lap-patched them. Years later the patches are still there.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #36
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Don,

Which Keystone Service Center are you referring to? An independent facility or a "factory sponsored repair center" (other than a dealership) ???
I believe it is the Keystone Service center in Goshen Indiana. As I understand, it is a Keystone Factory repair center. Please correct me if that is wrong as I was told by a fellow RVer that is the best place to go as it is part of Keystone.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_T View Post
I believe it is the Keystone Service center in Goshen Indiana. As I understand, it is a Keystone Factory repair center. Please correct me if that is wrong as I was told by a fellow RVer that is the best place to go as it is part of Keystone.
Keystone does have a factory repair center (for Montana RV's only as far as I know) complete with a 3 site camping facility located behind the Customer Service building. I am not familiar with how those sites are managed, whether there is an "open appointment capacity" for service there or if (as I'd suspect) the sites are for "by invitation and prior coordination only" for certain, prearranged customers with previously approved and coordinated repairs. I don't think there is any capability for a customer to 'choose to return to the factory" rather it's the factory that chooses who/what they want brought back for them to inspect/repair.

From what I understand about the factory repair program (very little actually) it's not open to the customer to select that option, it's up to the factory to make the decision based on dealer capability vs factory capability to repair a certain problem... Actually, there's very little on an RV that a competent dealership service department can't handle as well as the factory. The limitations of most dealerships come into play when whole sidewall laminations or similar construction requirements come into play. Dealerships just don't have the equipment to do that sort of construction and there's no way to ship such items to a dealership for installation, so those repairs go back to the factory. I'd guess the number of "factory returns" is much less than 1:10,000. In other words, seldom to almost never......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #38
Don_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keystone does have a factory repair center (for Montana RV's only as far as I know) complete with a 3 site camping facility located behind the Customer Service building. I am not familiar with how those sites are managed, whether there is an "open appointment capacity" for service there or if (as I'd suspect) the sites are for "by invitation and prior coordination only" for certain, prearranged customers with previously approved and coordinated repairs. I don't think there is any capability for a customer to 'choose to return to the factory" rather it's the factory that chooses who/what they want brought back for them to inspect/repair.

From what I understand about the factory repair program (very little actually) it's not open to the customer to select that option, it's up to the factory to make the decision based on dealer capability vs factory capability to repair a certain problem... Actually, there's very little on an RV that a competent dealership service department can't handle as well as the factory. The limitations of most dealerships come into play when whole sidewall laminations or similar construction requirements come into play. Dealerships just don't have the equipment to do that sort of construction and there's no way to ship such items to a dealership for installation, so those repairs go back to the factory. I'd guess the number of "factory returns" is much less than 1:10,000. In other words, seldom to almost never......
Maybe I have a problem then. I have been to four dealers in the Vermont/New Hampshire area and none of them will touch it. They all say it needs to go to the factory service center to be fixed. They all suggested I take it “someplace else” to get it fixed since it is out of warranty. The dealer I bought it from is 2200 miles away, near Galveston Tx. They won’t do anything unless I bring it to them.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Don,

Have you called Keystone in Goshen and talked with them about what the 4 dealerships in your area told you and explained to them that your purchasing dealer is 2200 miles away? If not, I'd urge you to stop relying on "disinterested dealerships" and at least get the "real story from Keystone" as to what they can/will/will not do to help you with the problem. The fact that the trailer is still in/out of warranty (12 months on some trailers and 36 months on those built after a certain date (I think Sep 1, 2017), but it all passes way to quickly) and that warranty is "clicking away every day" could make this situation become more critical as time passes. I'd urge you to get ahead of the problem rather than rely on some dealership that has no commitment to you to have your best interests as their motivation.....

Keystone Customer Service phone number is: (866) 425-4369 They are open Mon-Thur 8AM-5PM and Fri 8AM to 4PM

If you prefer, you can email them by filling out the "customer contact form located at : https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/contact-us/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #40
Jllawd

broken gusset weld
Jllawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, rack, slide