Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #1
BoulderCity

Questions about renting to snowbirds

Hi all,

We bought a lake view RV lot near Las Vegas and want to rent it out when we are not using it... especially during the winter months.

My question is that, typically, how long of a period of time do snowbirds want to rent RV lots? 3 months? 6 months?

Also, what type of improvements to the lot or amenities are most desirable to snowbirds? i.e. outdoor furniture, shed, trees, garden etc?

Thank you for the help.
BoulderCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
Frank G

We are part of the Florida Snowbirds and have no idea of the western snowbird requirements. Advertise what you have and see what happens.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

We go to FL as well but have been out and about in the west/southwest. As far as what amenities.....to me it depends on the pricing/location etc. What do you plan on offering? What CAN you afford to offer? For $300 a month I don't expect much. For $1500 I want a lot more.

As far as the lot; in the desert it would be nice to have a tree(s) somewhere. At a minimum I like a picnic table. Some kind of greenery, shrubs. I've seen places with sheds but have no use for one nor want to pay for it - others I'm sure feel differently.

As far as how long "snowbirds" want to stay.....I think that's all over the map. Some travel all winter and spend a couple of weeks to 6 weeks and move on. Others come in and spend 1/2 the winter in one place then move to another, still others come in and stay months at a time. We stay 3-5 months then get restless. I would guess that at the park we stay at in the winter the majority of the "long term" snowbirds stay 5-6 months. But, that is in FL and the majority of those come from up north; primarily Michigan, Canada, Maine etc. so they can't go back very early unless they want to go home and shovel snow I don't know where the snowbirds in NV come from so..... There are several on here I think that do spend a lot of time in the AZ area so they will be more informed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderCity View Post
Hi all,

We bought a lake view RV lot near Las Vegas and want to rent it out when we are not using it... especially during the winter months.

My question is that, typically, how long of a period of time do snowbirds want to rent RV lots? 3 months? 6 months?

Also, what type of improvements to the lot or amenities are most desirable to snowbirds? i.e. outdoor furniture, shed, trees, garden etc?

Thank you for the help.
We are staying in Bullhead City AZ. at Colorado River Oasis RV park this winter. We pay $450/month plus electric. Check out their website to see what amenities they have. May give you an idea as to pricing your site.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Cbrez

Many RV parks I contacted in Florida start out with minimum 90 day stays. Once reservations fall off, they drop the minimum stay to 30 days.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #6
Alpine

Here is an idea of what the prices and pictures of lots for rent at the resort where Jan & I own. Located 18 miles east of Temecula, California. About 60 miles west of Palm Springs, California. We choose not to lease out our lot.

https://www.ranchorvresort.com/for-rent-by-owner

And an over all look of the resort and what you would get for your money.

Watch the video....

https://www.ranchorvresort.com/

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Cbrez

It looks like a beautiful resort. Congratulations.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #8
Hodgy

Those monthly rates look good for what you get. In a place like that there must be some restrictive covenants on what type of RV you can park on one of those rented lots.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

Those monthly rates look good for what you get. In a place like that there must be some restrictive covenants on what type of RV you can park on one of those rented lots. .
There are restrictions, they're located in the FAQ section of the website. Essentially, as to the type of unit, here's what they say:

"What type of RVs are allowed at Rancho California?

Your rig must be no more than 10 years old, at least 30 feet in length, and either a Class A motor coach or a fifth-wheel trailer. No Class B or C, toy-haulers, or camper-trailers. No park models."

More and more "exclusive" RV communities are being developed. There are several in the Florida keys that restrict membership to luxury motorhomes (those costing over $500K). There are "Airstream resorts", luxury resorts, and even religious resorts.

Restrictions on many resorts aren't that "onerous" but there are some "very, VERY exclusive" resorts (you'd never call them a campground) that simply don't allow "trailer trash" on the property.....

Gone are the days of "6 hippies in a flower painted VW van" and also, gone are the days of "just any RV is welcome" in some places.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
mazboy

a lot of it depends on the park. ask the park what goes on and what the restrictions are.

you should be able to get a pretty good idea about rates and expectations.

what are the rules of renting? does the park want to be involved? such things like that.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote