Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
CWtheMan

Buyer Beware

Let’s look at a lower end Keystone fiver. I chose the Hideout and you’ll soon see why.

This one is fine and dandy - tire wise.

Hideout 276RLS

Shipping weight: 7745#
CCC: 2555#
Published Hitch: 1440#

GVWR = 10300#
GAWR 2 ea = 4450# ea (minimum value)

Tires = ST225/75R15D
Load capacity = 2540# @ 65 PSI

For all of these Hideout models, Keystone is going to use the same size & load capacity tires as OEM. They have done it this way for years and the tires meet the minimal safety standards NHSTA allows in the FMVSS (standards). Here is the one that should be on every prospective buyers PDI list.

Hideout 315RDTS

Shipping weight: 9920#
CCC: 2245#
Published Hitch: 1805#

GVWR = 11965#
GAWR = 2 ea 5080# ea (maximum value)

Tires = ST225/75R15D
Load Capacity = 2540# @ 65 PSI

On this particular trailer, Keystone must set the GAWRs at 5080# ea. Anything higher and the OEM tires would not be legal for them to fit as Original Equipment.

Keystone has made numerous mistakes when certifying trailers with 7000# axles and the recall record for those erroneous actions are on record in NHTSAs data base for all to see.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
mtofell

I'm not totally clear on what you are pointing out. Are you taking into account the roughly 20% of the trailer's weight that rides on the pin.... therefore, not on the tires?
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I'm sure CW is taking all of that into account. In fact if you do the math and the trailer was maxed on cargo, assuming the pin weight stayed the same (I know it won't be, but for discussion purposes) the weight on wheels will be exactly what the tires max load rating equals. No room for variance in load between tires and no room for tire degradation over time. Basically, they put the bare minimum allowed to be legal and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I'm sure CW is taking all of that into account. In fact if you do the math and the trailer was maxed on cargo, assuming the pin weight stayed the same (I know it won't be, but for discussion purposes) the weight on wheels will be exactly what the tires max load rating equals. No room for variance in load between tires and no room for tire degradation over time. Basically, they put the bare minimum allowed to be legal and it's a disaster waiting to happen.
You got it.....
Old 06-18-2017, 04:18 AM   #5
CaptnJohn

Quote:

CW has nothing to do with it. Keystone is covering up their mistake. I would buy tires that are correct and have my lawyer send a letter requesting a new sticker corrected with proper tires. A sticker is cheaper than putting new tires on all those units and cheaper than going to court for one buyer. I'd do it just for fun to see what they would do.
After so many of the same screw up a class action asking for tires instead of a sticker may work. The disclaimer about changes may not hold up after seeing so many. At this time it is either negligence or on purpose. On purpose means is false advertising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:00 AM   #6
captcolour

Going through this myself and having to buy new tires and wheels for a brand new RV, you would think there is a class action suit somewhere in all of this. There is so much info on the web and across manufacturers that it appears they are being negligent on providing consumers safe OEM tires.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #7
Dave W

I hate to say it - but what's new? This is a known shortcoming on almost every brand unless you special order or have a custom build. My quote for Goodyear G614's on a trailer in 2014 was a $1500 premium if I ordered a new 5er and at 2 different dealerships. Budget tires whan you buy and sell the take offs. I sold mine with 5K miles for $225 to a farmer who was happy to get them
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

It seems, if my recollection is sort of working today, that they do a much better job of equipping the smaller trailers with tires that have excess capacity. When the trailers approach or surpass 10k all of a sudden they put tires on them that will barely support it. It's as if they can't spend an additional $25-40 per tire and then adjust the selling price. It just makes no sense to me. I do agree that a potential purchaser of a heavier trailer just needs to figure in the cost of new tires on the initial purchase.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #9
mtofell

Quote:
No room for variance in load between tires and no room for tire degradation over time. Basically, they put the bare minimum allowed to be legal and it's a disaster waiting to happen.
I still don't see what is "wrong". I get it that the GVWR of the trailer tops out right where the tires do. Does that make it wrong? I've never really thought about the equal loading thing on all 4 tires with the max weight and that's a good point. You can rest assured there is a big margin of safety built into tire ratings, likely with uneven loading and other things in mind. If every tire exploded when 1# over it's weight there would be a lot of broken down RVs sitting beside the freeway

I completely agree running everything at its max is not a good way to run an RV... or anything for that matter.

This reminds me of the residential building code. I can't remember if this is in the actual code book or was just a teaching point in a class I took once, but it goes something like this: The code is the bare minimum you can design/built a house to. It's also the maximum you'll ever be required to build to. Some guys in class just couldn't wrap their heads around this concept.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Every manufacturer of RV trailers MUST comply with the safety regulations and standards provided to them by the DOT. The regulations are written to minimal requirements. Sometimes the minimal requirements will also have some wiggle room. For tire fitments that wiggle room is known as “load capacity reserves”.

Lets look at some of the figures I provided for the Hideout 2017 model 315DRTS.

The shipping weight includes all equipment provided and attached to or onboard the trailer as it leaves the factory. In actuality, it’s a ballpark figure in the brochures because it may have options not necessarily listed in the brochures but listed on the CCC label. For this math test it is as reported (9920#).

The cargo capacity is added to the shipping weight to determine the trailer’s GVWR (9920 + 2245 = 11965 = GVWR.

The published hitch weight is subtracted from the GVWR to determine the total GAWR. 11965 - 1805 = 10160 for total GAWR. It is divided by the number of axles which will be the GAWR for each axle (5080#). There is no requirement in the regulations for trailer tires to provide load capacity reserves above the GAWR value so in this case the Original Equipment tires (ST225/75R15D) have a maximum load capacity of 2540# x 2 = 5080# per axle. Remember, all onboard water is cargo. Also remember, a battery provided by the vehicle manufacturer is part of the shipping weight. If provided by the dealer and under 100# it will not be deducted from the CCC label. The owner will have to make note of it. If the dealer adds something else and the combined total is over 100# they will have to change the CCC label before the papers are signed.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Now, "to add insult to injury" to what CW just posted, all ST tires (and most other tires as well) experience degradation with age. I don't have specific numbers, but many reports, even some from tire manufacturers indicate about 10% load capacity degradation each year.

So, in the example of the Hideout that CW used, the tires, when new were "at the load limit" with no reserve capacity. Should this trailer sit on a dealer's lot for a year before sale, it's conceivable that the tires would be 10% overloaded at GVW the first time the new owner towed it to a campground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #12
mtofell

I've got to think tire degradation is "baked in" to the equation. This stuff is all engineered into products. Meaning, it's planned that a product will be used for a given term of service. I never got a degree but did take a bunch of engineering classes and know there is A LOT of safety accounted for in product design and loading.

This is particularly interesting to me since I own just about to the number the 2nd 5th wheel being discussed - GVWR of roughly 12,000# - tires and axles rated @ 2500# each, axles rated at 5000# each. So, 10,000# on the trailer axles 2000# on the pin. I get that it's pushing everything to the limits but am not seeing any negligence or misleading by the manufacturer. My trailer was dry @ 9000#. Rolls down the road around 11,000# at the most. Usually closer to 10,500#. The most I've ever seen on my trailer axles at the weight station is 8800#. Again, I realize it's close and if/when I get new tires I'd undoubtedly go up to more weight capacity just for more breathing room.

I guess I just assume everything with this RV is built to the lowest possible standard. Nothing here is surprising me Great discussion.... thanks.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
MattHelm21

Quote:
The published hitch weight is subtracted from the GVWR to determine the total GAWR. 11965 - 1805 = 10160 for total GAWR
Do I see an error in your way of doing this calculation? No one is likely to ever be at a published dry pin weight at GVWR. 1805 divided by 11965 is only 15 percent pin weight which is below minimum for a fifth wheel. So doing the math while properly loading this trailer at 20% minimum pin weight, 11965 X .2 = 2393. Using your formula, 11965 - 2393 = 9572. 9572 should be the maximum load on the axles and divided by 4 would be 2393(interesting coincidence pin vs tire?). With the tire max load as 2540 and axles rated to 10160 total, that does leave a margin for error. It isn't great but if every part does its job as designed, these numbers should work with this trailer.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
busterbrown

This post is very interesting (and informative) as "most" prospective buyers have no clue what defines 'reserve capacity'. I didn't when I purchased a 35' ultra light TT last year.

OEM Trailer King tires were 205 75 14, LRC, 1760 lbs at 50 PSI.

Bullet 308BHS spec'd out with GVWR at 7600 lbs, Dry weight at 6210, and Tongue weight at 700 lbs. A little math shows me that I had very little (if any) reserve capacity left if I pulled a completely loaded trailer at 7600 lbs. 12% of 7600 is 912 lbs of trailer tongue weight. 7600 - 912 = 6688 lbs carried by 4 tires. At 1672 lbs on each tire, I was darn close to the max capacity of each tire when brand new. 88 lbs of reserve (5%) for each tire is slim margins.

A couple of things to comment on with my trailer. During the walkthrough, I checked tire pressures with my own tire pressure gauge. 3 out of 4 tires were inflated to approx. 44-45 PSI. The 4th was at 48 PSI. I remember this distinctively as I ask twice to have them inflated to MAX PSI, this after the tech told me they were "checked".

Second observation is the fitment of my trailer's OEM tire onto Bullets that have significantly lighter GVWRs. One in particular, a 220RBI. GVWR is 6400, 12% of that on the tongue is 768 lbs. The weight spred across all 4 tires when trailer is loaded is 1408 lbs. Remember, OEM tires have a load rating of 1760 lbs. 352 lbs is the margin of reserve capacity for that smaller coach, a nice comfortable 20%.

Long story short, my Bullet acquired new shoes 4 months ago, increasing my reserve capacity to 45%, a worthy and "necessary" investment.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 AM   #15
bsmith0404

As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with putting tires on with little or no load reserve is the assumption of equal loading. When was the last time anyone weighed each tire individually? We don't because it's pretty much impossible without a set of mobile scales. When was the last time anyone weighed the axles individually? Most of us haven't gone through the hassle to do that either and again, you would need to find a scale sized correctly so you could get each axle on different segments of the scale without having any other weight on them. The manufacturer is installing the minimum tire required to meet requirements. I've seen some statements that say depending on how the trailer is loaded and slide location, the weight difference from wheel to wheel could be as much as 2.000 lbs. I personally think that is a bit extreme and can't see how it could be that drastic with most RVs, but I suppose it's possible. I'll look a my 5er as an example. In the drivers side I have 3 slides which includes the bedroom, kitchen, and living room with a sleep sofa. The driver side also has the hot water heater, bathroom, all of the kitchen cabinets, and both propane bottles. The passenger has the dining room slide which includes a free standing dinette and two recliners. I would be a fool to think there isn't a significant difference of weight between the 2 sides. That means the tires on the drivers side are carrying more than 25% of the weight on wheels each. Are they carrying an extra 200 lbs, 500 lbs, 1,000 lbs each? I don't know, but I'm going to have tires with excessive reserve to make sure they are sufficient to account for the difference even if Keystone doesn't think it's necessary to do it with the OE setup.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-19-2017, 08:19 AM   #16
CWtheMan

The RV trailer manufacturer’s specs are most easily described as flexible. They are target figures. However, they must be workable because they may actually fit the finished product.

Vehicle certification is a serious safety action initiated by the DOT that must be complied with by all vehicle manufacturers. The labels on your trailers are supported by documentations sent to NHTSA with the identical information. Violations may cause vehicle recalls. Some manufacturers will incur stiff monitory penalties for providing false information on the vehicle labeling.

Authorized changes in vehicle labeling are allowed before a vehicle’s first sale. After that it’s a violation to change anything on the labeling. Of course there are exceptions but they normally involve the addition of an authorized auxiliary label.

That “first sale” action is a transfer of authority. The new owner is then responsible for all weight and balance conditions of the trailer. The new owner has all the figures. Everything needed to properly maintain the trailer is in the owner’s manual, on the certification label, cargo label and tire placard.

A side note: Original Equipment tires fitted/installed on motor vehicles such as your car, pick-up truck, SUV etc. MUST have a percentage of load capacity reserves. Even though the same numbered regulation is used for those and RV trailer tires the load capacity reserves are not required with the RV trailer tire fitments/installations.

Load capacity reserves are not an unknown value built into the tire. They are provided by manipulating the tire’s inflation pressures to provide the desired recommended load capacity. The TRA approves the use of tire inflation charts/tables for that sort of action. Even though each tire manufacturer may provide their own tire charts/tables they all provide standardized values in increments of 5 PSI.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #17
Hoojs12840

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, one of the problems with putting tires on with little or no load reserve is the assumption of equal loading. When was the last time anyone weighed each tire individually? We don't because it's pretty much impossible without a set of mobile scales. When was the last time anyone weighed the axles individually? Most of us haven't gone through the hassle to do that either and again, you would need to find a scale sized correctly so you could get each axle on different segments of the scale without having any other weight on them. The manufacturer is installing the minimum tire required to meet requirements. I've seen some statements that say depending on how the trailer is loaded and slide location, the weight difference from wheel to wheel could be as much as 2.000 lbs. I personally think that is a bit extreme and can't see how it could be that drastic with most RVs, but I suppose it's possible. I'll look a my 5er as an example. In the drivers side I have 3 slides which includes the bedroom, kitchen, and living room with a sleep sofa. The driver side also has the hot water heater, bathroom, all of the kitchen cabinets, and both propane bottles. The passenger has the dining room slide which includes a free standing dinette and two recliners. I would be a fool to think there isn't a significant difference of weight between the 2 sides. That means the tires on the drivers side are carrying more than 25% of the weight on wheels each. Are they carrying an extra 200 lbs, 500 lbs, 1,000 lbs each? I don't know, but I'm going to have tires with excessive reserve to make sure they are sufficient to account for the difference even if Keystone doesn't think it's necessary to do it with the OE setup.

It is possible at a cat scale to weight each tire separately. Weight it it normal once then circle back around and drive one side on yellow paint on the outside side of the scale and pull forward so your front trailer tire is on the "drive" pad and your rear trailer tire is on the "trailer" pad.

Then repeat on the opposite side.

Jason

Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #18
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
It is possible at a cat scale to weight each tire separately. Weight it it normal once then circle back around and drive one side on yellow paint on the outside side of the scale and pull forward so your front trailer tire is on the "drive" pad and your rear trailer tire is on the "trailer" pad.

Then repeat on the opposite side.

Jason

That's assuming you can get one axle on each pad without the TV tires also being on the pad. I personally have never tried it or thought about it so I don't really remember how the spacing is.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
MattHelm21

Unfortunately, this is not possible on any Cat Scale(including the one I used today) I've been on. They are now putting huge verticle posts on each side if the ingress and egress to the platforms making this an impossibility. I'm thinking the best bet to try and do this would be to see if there is a quarry in the area which might allow this for a fee.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM   #20
kjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It seems, if my recollection is sort of working today, that they do a much better job of equipping the smaller trailers with tires that have excess capacity. When the trailers approach or surpass 10k all of a sudden they put tires on them that will barely support it. It's as if they can't spend an additional $25-40 per tire and then adjust the selling price. It just makes no sense to me. I do agree that a potential purchaser of a heavier trailer just needs to figure in the cost of new tires on the initial purchase.
Our Cougar 21RBS has 225x15's, original, new. Much, much better than our old Jayco 197 with cheesy little 13". I did notice much bigger trailers on the lot with the same tires when we bought ours.