Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2018, 04:13 AM   #1
{tpc}

Wanted: Motorized Trailer Dolly

So I thought what the heck, I'll post it here. Looking for a motorized dolly, doesn't have to be pretty, but able to least push the trailer up the driveway approach and into the yard.

I've seen the plans on ebay to build them with harbor freight stuff, but having access to welding equipment and doing all that really isn't my thing. I've seen new ones for over $1k, and used ones that have sold on other forums for $400ish.

I'm not rich lol so new ones are out. I'd just like to be able to get this thing in the backyard for once at the new place.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #2
Pull Toy

Hi Tony,

If you mean "up the driveway", as in any incline, I would seriously advise against a dolly of any type. If it ever got away from you it could kill someone. To the best of my knowledge, these towmotors don't use your trailer brakes, and would be unstable except on the absolute flat and level.

If the trailer will fit where you want it to go, with a little "backing" practice, your truck is equipped to safely get the job done. Find an open area, and lay out a course using plastic milk, or soda bottles. You'll master it in no time with no damage (except maybe to the plastic bottles LOL). You will also now have the skills to get out of a situation away from home.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
{tpc}

I understand all of that, and appreciate the concern. Some units I have seen actually do plug into and can utilize the brakes, and some have their own built in braking.

The driveway itself isn't really that steep of a grade, and the approach, while steeper, is short. There isn't enough ramp on that approach to cause a significant issue.

The real issue is that we now live in a more urban area I guess you would say. This added a fire hydrant on the left side of the approach if facing it, about 3 inchs from that approach, and a pine tree in the neighbors yard on the other side. Aside from that, I literally block the entire street, and from my only real attempt (which failed lol), I've found that I don't think I can swing the truck without climbing the curb on the other side, onto the neighbors right of way.

We leave on a street with a school, and there is enough traffic that blocking the street for an amount of time could be an issue, not to mention the people that will literally zoom around you, inches from your bumper while in the midst of doing this.

This would at least alleviate my truck being in the way. I've considered buying some orange cones and placing them in the roadway prior to doing this, but I feel the local police may take issue with it.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
Bisjoe

One alternative that makes it easier for some cases is to add a hitch to the front of your truck and push it in. Like the dealers handle them at the yards, but using a forklift with a ball.