Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
elcaminonut69

Getting started on the mods for my new Sprinter 299RET

After picking up my new trailer I started making a list as to the mods I wanted to do. My lovely wife immediately commented on the tires. Having owned a 2000 HR tt that was heavy I always had tire problems so I decided to go to a 16" wheel with LT tires which solved my tire problems. So the first thing in order was a set of 225/75/16 Bridgestone Duravis R500 HD tires. I still have plenty of clearance and the tires should last until they die of old age lol. More mods to come.
elcaminonut69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
Chillaxin' III

Interesting choice on the LT tires. Pics would be great! Keep us posted on the other mods!

2015 Keystone Bullet 310BHS
EZ Lift W/D Hitch + Sway Control
2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LTZ 4x4 Z71 Package
Chillaxin' III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
elcaminonut69

Sorry for the delay. I will get some pics up as soon as I get some. I just carried the camper to Orlando for a couple of months for work and the tires performed flawlessly. I've already straightened out a few things myself like the ac ductwork which was barely blowing in the bedroom. The divider inside the ac unit itself had come loose and the air was just recirculating through the ac. Overall I really like this camper especially the residential fridge.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
elcaminonut69

Re: Getting started on the mods for my new Sprinter 299RET

Here is a picture of the tires I had installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	11293  
Old 10-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
elcaminonut69

I took the AC work a step farther and taped the transitions up inside the unit itself. Anything that I thought could be smoothed out I hit it with the aluminum tape. Oh what a difference it made. The sound from the AC unit is barely noticeable now. It is very quite and it helped even more with the air flow. I will try to get some pics up on what I did.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
elcaminonut69

I also installed a ProPride hitch which is amazing the difference it makes. Installation was a little tricky because of the front cap extending out far enough to cover the bottles.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
bartbill

Interesting thought on the LT's. I blew a Carlisle on I-25 in the south edge of Denver yesterday. Its a real hoot to change a tire on about 8' of roadside against a 10' concrete wall. Limped over to Discount Tire on Lincoln St. Got into a discussion with those folks about LT tires because of what I've been reading on this site. They were adamant that LT's were a bad idea and Carlisle was doing a much better job with their tires now. Thing is I cant remember exactly why LTs were a bad idea. Ended up just putting on another Carlisle. Got time to decide before the trip to Alaska next year. BTW - little damage to the trailer
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 AM   #8
elcaminonut69

Glad to here you didn't hurt your trailer Bartbill. Well I have around 5,000 miles on my LT tires and they look like new. I did step up to a 16" rim to get the capacity I wanted but still have plenty of room.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #9
elcaminonut69

My next concern is cold weather camping. After being in 15 degree weather I am having problems with some pipes freezing. I guess if I can make it through this winter I will take the underside apart and try to insulate it better. I can see me in zero degree weather on occasion with this camper so I will try to insulate it accordingly. I had no problem staying warm inside the camper unlike my old TT but all the plumbing was inside the coach so I had no problems with it freezing pipes
Old 01-22-2017, 05:49 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartbill View Post
Interesting thought on the LT's. I blew a Carlisle on I-25 in the south edge of Denver yesterday. Its a real hoot to change a tire on about 8' of roadside against a 10' concrete wall. Limped over to Discount Tire on Lincoln St. Got into a discussion with those folks about LT tires because of what I've been reading on this site. They were adamant that LT's were a bad idea and Carlisle was doing a much better job with their tires now. Thing is I cant remember exactly why LTs were a bad idea. Ended up just putting on another Carlisle. Got time to decide before the trip to Alaska next year. BTW - little damage to the trailer
This is a pretty good explanation and is most likely what the DT folks were telling you. One thing I don't like about the video is the weight capacity comparison, I wish he would have used the same size tire with the same load range to show the difference, but the concept that he is talking about is accurate, LT tires do not have the same load carrying capacity. My personal opinion, the sidewall difference that he demonstrates is the biggest difference and the main reason I stay with an ST tire, especially with a trailer with a large side profile such as an RV. Not as critical with a utility trailer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
elcaminonut69

I Have been running LT tires for years. As long as you buy an LT tire that is rated for as much as the trailer tire you should not have any problems. In the video he did not say anything about the sidewall on the E rated tire. In order to get a comparable LT tire I did have to step up to a 16" tire. It might be luck but I have never had a flat running Lt tires. I have been through numerous trailer tires due to separation or blowouts. My previous RV was 32' long and my current one is 36' and I have no problem with sway.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
elcaminonut69

Just to give an update on my mods that I have done in the last year. After spending 2 winters in various locations and having problems with frozen water lines I have rerouted my water lines. I picked up some electrical track with covers and ran the lines in the camper. For the most part the existing cabinets covered 90 percent and I used the track for a small crossover into the bathroom at ceiling height.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
elcaminonut69

I'm not very happy with my Suburban 6 gallon water heater. The Suburban doesn't seem to work near as good as my old Atwood did. After numerous complaints from my Wife I decided to buy a tankless design water heater. After reading numerous reviews and talking to some people that work on them I decided to go with the Truma. I have yet to install it so I will follow up when I do.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Truma comes standard on pleasureway RV’s. Much better than the Gerard.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #15
elcaminonut69

I also had to change the mattress out. The original was not very good so I installed a sleep number. I bought it because of the weight versus a quality innerspring because most of the weight would transfer to the tongue. I am very happy with my choice.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #16
elcaminonut69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Truma comes standard on pleasureway RV’s. Much better than the Gerard.
It was a tossup between the Suburban and Truma. After thinking about the problems I was having with my Suburban now and the ease of winterizing the Truma thats what I went with.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
This is a pretty good explanation and is most likely what the DT folks were telling you. One thing I don't like about the video is the weight capacity comparison, I wish he would have used the same size tire with the same load range to show the difference, but the concept that he is talking about is accurate, LT tires do not have the same load carrying capacity. My personal opinion, the sidewall difference that he demonstrates is the biggest difference and the main reason I stay with an ST tire, especially with a trailer with a large side profile such as an RV. Not as critical with a utility trailer.

I get a kick out of this video, not real strong on facts, and comparisons. Our 2005 came from the factory with LT tires 235/85-16E @ 3,042# ea. The same ST run about 400# more capacity, but have a speed rating of only 65 mph..

I think the sidewall statement of ST being stronger and stiffer I have doubts about. All the ST tires I have ever looked at have soft looking sidewalls.
Then there are these pictures on our LT's and comparable ST's and very close to the same weight and inflation.

These are the LTs nice stright sidewall and round at the bottom.

These are the ST's bulging sidewall and flatter on the ground, almost look way under inflated.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 AM   #18
elcaminonut69

I agree completely rhagfo. It's all about the money. Once you bite the bullet and put LT tires on you will never go back to trailer tires and they know it. I pulled my camper to the Outer Banks last year during the heat of the summer and in 600 miles we saw multiple RVs on the side of the road with flats. One trailer had major damage which is why I don"t run trailer tires.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
elcaminonut69

Well I finally got around to installing the Trim water heater. Installation was pretty easy except for the water lines. the measurement between the inlet and outlet is different between the Suburban and Truma. I have pex tools so I reworked the lines and put the old style water heater bypass in and straightened the factory plumbing out to my satisfaction. The outside door was a little bigger which required trimming of the side moulding on the camper. I hooked the 12 volt up, mounted the control panel. I turned the water and power on and it fired right up. I turned the shower wide open hot and the kitchen sink to hot and it held 120 degrees. The Truma is very quiet. I will post when I get a chance to use it hopefully within the few weeks.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Good deal. Glad it went so well.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote