Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #1
jarrodantley

Greystone microwave issues

I have a Cougar 313rli with a greystone microwave in it. I just recently had my converter replaced. Since then, my microwave hasnt worked right. When i open it, the inside light comes on and the tray begins to turn. But when i close it, theres no response to any of the control buttons.
Any thoughts?
jarrodantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your microwave operates on 110VAC. The converter only supplies 12VDC to the trailer and charges the battery.
If your microwave isn't working it has nothing to do with the converter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Pull Toy

As just mentioned by chuckster, you microwave runs on 110 v a/c house current. Try to find out where your microwave actually plugs in. It will be a standard 3 prong 110v plug. Try powering the unit from an extension cord plugged into a different 110v power source. If you have the same results, it's the unit. If not, it may be a wiring issue.

Sorry, but my bet is the controller board on the microwave. If it is the microwave, It's probably cheaper to replace it than to fix it, unless it's still under warranty. Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Consider this: If the converter and the microwave were both working well and something happened to the converter, after replacement, the microwave is not working, the problem that "sank" the converter may also have "sank" the microwave. It's possible that you had a power surge or a "brownout" that affected not only the converter, but also affected other appliances in your trailer. You might want to do a careful check of the TV's, water heater, refrigerator control board and any other 120 volt items as well as 12 volt items that were powered by the converter.

It may be a coincidence that the microwave also went out at the same time and it may also not be a coincidence, but a direct result of the input power to the trailer....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

You have received good information, pull the Microwave and plug into another known operable plug if works check 110 VAC plug in the RV, If still does not work cheaper to scrap it and buy new one that try and repair it.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Whatever you find out, be sure come back and let us know. The follow up will help someone else in the future. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #7
frankyb01

you might not believe this, but...

I experienced this exact problem on my trailer, twice. Both times it was because of a problem with a plug on one end of my power cable. Had the same simptoms. Lite on and tray turning slowly when door is open. Everything dead including clock when door was closed. I even plugged something else into the microwaves outlet and that worked perfectly. The rest of the trailer worked fine. I unplugged my shore power, flexed the plug back and forth on the end of the cable, plugged it back into the trailer and the microwave worked perfectly. So I took the plug off the end of the cable. When it was assembled someone did a sloppy job and just a few tiny strands from one of the hot leads were brushing against the neutral wire. Apparently the circuit boards in these microwaves are super sensitive. I have never liked how the 50 amp cord plugs into the side of the camper and then hangs from the plug at a sharp 90 degree angle. I think the weight of it puts too much stress on the plug assy. I ended up disconnecting the wire at the power center, ran a length of new 6 gauge wire from the power center up to the basement area and put a standard 50 amp plug on the end. That moved my connection for shore power up toward the front of the camper which is more conveinent, and when not on shore power, I plug it into the generator outlet. Kind of a poor man's transfer switch. If you are not comfortable with electric, find a friend who is and have him disassemble the plug on the camper end of your shore power cable. I betting he will a miniscule ghost ground.
U.S.A.F. (ret.) 1976-1996
frankyb01 is offline   Reply With Quote