Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2024, 08:03 AM   #1
vpo3

Fresh Water Tank - fast leak

Hello All...

I filled the freash water tank recently and found that I've got a pretty fast leak. water is streaming down the sides of the drain hose (valve off). I'm guessing that the connection of the drain hose to the tank got tweaked.

Anyway, To get access, I' m going to need to either 1) cut a good size hole the corrigated plastic or 2) remove the screws around the edge of the corrigated plastic peal it down / back to get access. Which is the better / easier way?

Regards,

vpo3
vpo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

As a "general rule" if the drain is within arms reach of a side of the coroplast, I'd remove the screws and pull down the coroplast.

On the other hand, if when you get it down you still won't be able to reach the place you need to work (more than arm's length stretch) then I'd cut a "3 corner flap" with the "hinge side forward" so you can reseal the access opening with the hinge in the direction of most wind when towing.

Be careful HOW you cut the hole, don't cut so deep that you risk damage to the tank under the coroplast. Often they are in "direct contact with each other"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:48 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

You might wish to pull a few of the pins that hold the coroplast in place and confirm where the water is actually coming from before cutting holes in the belly. Water could travel a distance and leak out the lowest point.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:50 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ Very true. If you haven't verified where the leak originates, I wouldn't cut any holes until you KNOW where you'll be working. Sagging coroplast can "move a drip 15 or 20 feet before it finds a hole (in this case the FWT drain hole) to "drip from the lowest point"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:43 PM   #5
CBears

Posting to follow the response. Please post results.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 08:31 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
Posting to follow the response. Please post results.
If you click on "Thread Tools" it opens a drop down, list. One option is to "Subscribe to Thread". Clicking on that will accomplish the same thing.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:49 AM   #7
Lee

Hi,

I had a VERY similar problem as you describe. Water dipping from the FWT drain line.

I unscrewed and dropped just enough under belly so I could see where the leak actually was. I was hoping it was just the drain line needing tightening. Nope.

On my FWT, it sits on 2 rails and has thin support straps holding the tank. These straps are screwed to the 2 rails. The screw heads had worn through the FWT.

Even though my TT's warrantee had expired, I filed a claim and Keystone replaced the tank.

Here is the link to my post:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=30007

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:03 PM   #8
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

I had a VERY similar problem as you describe. Water dipping from the FWT drain line.

I unscrewed and dropped just enough under belly so I could see where the leak actually was. I was hoping it was just the drain line needing tightening. Nope.

On my FWT, it sits on 2 rails and has thin support straps holding the tank. These straps are screwed to the 2 rails. The screw heads had worn through the FWT.

Even though my TT's warrantee had expired, I filed a claim and Keystone replaced the tank.

Here is the link to my post:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=30007

Been there, discovered that myself a while back. I was able to rectify the problem without having to get Keystone involved (screws had not worn through at that point). I also had a leak, coming from the ground sensor on the side of the tank. The sensor head rusted through, stained the inside of the tank with rust particles, and started to pull itself through the white rubber seal (there's a post here on this looking for some info). I also thought it was a drain leak so I didn't investigte right away. In fact I was positive because I had previously extended the drain valve to the side of the camper so I figured it was me fiddling with the drain and adding an elbow that made it start to eventually leak. Never did I consider a rusting out sensor! GRRR!
Old 04-07-2024, 05:20 AM   #9
dljs1941

Underbelly leaks are wicked hard to find when there’s coroplast involved. I chased a leak for months, each time thinking I had solved the issue. Couldn’t figure out if it was originating from the front or rear of the RV. Cut some triangle holes in the coroplast and found water, but not the source. Thought water was running down the front and working its way thru the edge of the coroplast and frame. I sealed that up and figured “got it”. No-joy. Then I thought water might be working down from the awning wire that fed from the top of the camper to the underbelly. Nope! Continued to remove coroplast screws and cut bigger holes. Wasn’t until our final trip while filling the FW tank I noticed water dripping down the tank drain (never saw this before). Back under the trailer, more screws removed I found a crack in the FW tank where it protrudes down to the drain line. Repaired that only to find water was still getting into the underbelly…are you kidding me. Each time between “repairs” I hosed the camper down. During the final hose down and with a now large portion of the coroplast either cut or removed, I found that water was coming in through the front of the frame where a large cluster of wires was fed thru. Of course driving in the rain would manifest the problem. Sealed that up, repaired all of the screws, taped up the coroplast cuts and am hopeful I finally got it. What a PITA
Old 04-07-2024, 07:37 AM   #10
foldbak

Question, do you have a overfull outlet? The reason I ask is the first time I filled my fresh water tank, water poured out of my under belly. We discovered that it didn't have a overfull outlet. After inspection it was found that the overfull didn't get plumbed. (the overfull plumber dude was sick that day) The dealer completed the plumbing for him.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, leak, tank, water