Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 08:17 PM   #41
Bobmueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
If I could offer you a tip for an easy hookup. Glue a paint stick or something similar to a magnet, place this on your ball and back up to the trailer. This makes it very easy to put your hitch pin exactly on center. When you get about a 45 degree tilt on your stick just lock it in with your emergency brake and you should have a perfect alignment for t h at easy hookup. This hack is a lot cheaper than changing out your hitch. Happy Camping
That is a good tip. Using a paint stick or ruler and glueing it to a magnet. Then attaching to the ball. I use an “Eye Ball” camera while hooking up to my Anderson hitch and it works okay. But the paint stick idea will only make it easier. Thanks for the tip.
Bobmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #42
Jerry S

Anderson and never looked back. About 5 minutes to set up and remove. coupled with the B&W Gooseneck hitch, this setup is a dream to use. When you unhook and take the Anderson off you turn over the Gooseneck ball and have a flat bed in your pickup. I do keep a torq wrench in my pickup for torquing the 3 bolts that hold the Anderson to the Gooseneck ball. The Anderson weighs 39lbs and this old 72 year can install and remove with one hand tied behind my back. :-)

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
Any thoughts on these two fifth wheel hitches? I currently own a Curtis 24K on a Ram 3500 factory pick system but its getting to be a pain in the *** when I want to remove it so I’m looking for something light weight. I can’t decide between the Anderson hitch or the Pullrite Superlite. Any thoughts?
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #43
sponge60

Absolutely love the Andersen Ultimate.

2018 Avalanche 301RE
2018 Chevy 3500 HD
Sandy the Pocket Beagle
sponge60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:57 AM   #44
Wing-in-it

i love my Q24 hitch....it’s on a slider too...So I’ll keep it.

A cheaper fix for me was to buy a used 5x10 landscape trailer for $400.00

No need to ever pull my hitch now. Plus my hitch, air ride compressor and aux fuel tank stay under a flip tonneau cover and never sees bad weather.

Just one fix...

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #45
7Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here please. I've been researching both hitches for when we pull the trigger and order our new 5th wheel. ... Doing my reading it appears as though the Pullrite mounts and lines up directly over the ball mount whereas the Andersen has about a 6 inch offset moving the pin towards the rear of the truck therefore eliminating the need for a slider when used in a 6 foot box.

Asking for verification here please.

I can't find an answer to zuley's question....I think he is correct, but I am an extreme 5er rookie (have not yet purchased) but will within the next few months and will settle for either the Anderson or Pullrite....

But don't understand the pros and cons of either

....if the Pullrite puts the weight directly over axle that seems to be a better configuration...than shifting weight a half foot aft.....???? yes / no ??
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #46
travelin texans

IIRC to be called a fifth wheel the hitch should be directly over or slightly forward of the rear axle, behind the axle it's a trailer, technically the same as a travel trailer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #47
roadglide

I have the Anderson ultimate hitch designed for fuel cell mine sets 9 1/2 . The connection on the trailer box is setting forward center 5 inches . With the fuel cell my hitch sets back further . I suppose the hitch box is added into the the extended Leingh. I think with short bed you would have to keep eye on the truck cab . I have the standard bed 79 inches anderson hitch I have 88 inches . With my previous 69 inchshort bed I had to watch the cab close . I had no experience towing with short bed and Anderson hitch. I would order the fuel cell hitch there is more Room for fuel tank. Call Anderson direct and talk with sale rep they match Amazon price and answer all your questions.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #48
Jerry S

You will not be able to tell if the hitch is right over the axle or 6" behind it. I tow with a short bed Dodge Ram 2500 and have never even come close to the cab even when doing some sharp turns backing up. Most later model 5th wheel trailer have front caps designed to allow more room when turning sharp. The Anderson hitch advantages so out weigh any disadvantages. Just today I removed my Hitch from the bed of my pickup and had it done in less than 3 minutes and carried it out one handed and that time included getting the socket out to loosen the three bolts....
You have probably already watched this video but it explains just how simple this is to set up. https://youtu.be/SkjTuq_kc9M
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #49
roadglide

Most of rams short bed are 76 inches that would be called standard bed on a Chevy. Dodge is calling 74 to 76 inch a short bed . What is your TV 7iron?
Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 AM   #50
7Iron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Most of rams short bed are 76 inches that would be called standard bed on a Chevy. Dodge is calling 74 to 76 inch a short bed . What is your TV 7iron?
Yesterday I just purchased a 2018 6.7PS F350 SRW LB(176") CB...getting prep'd for a 5er, we currently have a TT

What I am struggling with is the impact on Rear Axle wt when you add a 6" aft lever (offsetting the pin 6 inches to the rear) . I am certain there is some physics at play, I just haven't noodled what.

To mentally test if impacted, I imagined a 60ft rear lever....(offset the pin 60ft), there would be a substantial reduction to frnt axle load and a significant increase to the rear axle load....what does 6" do? (what is the math...is it closer to 6lb, 60lb or 600lb impact)
7Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #51
gearhead

With the Pullrite Superlite you have the choice of how you mount the ball on the trailer. A bit forward for more truck to 5th cap clearance, or swing it around 180 degrees for less clearance. It's not much difference, maybe 3-4 inches.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #52
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
Yesterday I just purchased a 2018 6.7PS F350 SRW LB(176") CB...getting prep'd for a 5er, we currently have a TT

What I am struggling with is the impact on Rear Axle wt when you add a 6" aft lever (offsetting the pin 6 inches to the rear) . I am certain there is some physics at play, I just haven't noodled what.

To mentally test if impacted, I imagined a 60ft rear lever....(offset the pin 60ft), there would be a substantial reduction to frnt axle load and a significant increase to the rear axle load....what does 6" do? (what is the math...is it closer to 6lb, 60lb or 600lb impact)
One of the engineer guys will have to respond on this, but I'm pretty sure you dont have a 60 ft fulcrum. It will be at the axles, so closer to 40ish foot. If you move the connection point back, maybe that causes a second fulcrum? The Anderson guys should be able to answer this. I'd call them.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #53
dbear

The fulcrum is actually the truck rear axle. The formula to calculate the resulting force at the front axle is F1*D1 = F2*D2, where F1 = FA unloading, D1 = truck wheelbase, F2 = trailer pin weight (downward force), and D2 = hitch to RA distance. Solving for F1 = (F2*D2)/D1. Guessing a 5er weight of 15K# with a 3K# pin weight. Using your truck wheelbase (176”) and hitch 6” aft of RA, the resulting unloading of the front axle would be around 102#.
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:03 AM   #54
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
The fulcrum is actually the truck rear axle. The formula to calculate the resulting force at the front axle is F1*D1 = F2*D2, where F1 = FA unloading, D1 = truck wheelbase, F2 = trailer pin weight (downward force), and D2 = hitch to RA distance. Solving for F1 = (F2*D2)/D1. Guessing a 5er weight of 15K# with a 3K# pin weight. Using your truck wheelbase (176”) and hitch 6” aft of RA, the resulting unloading of the front axle would be around 102#.
And there you go. Thanks.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #55
roadglide

I'll string line the bed pin later on to the center axle , the hitch looks near center . I know the goose box adapter extends 5 inches center to center forward . That extends the turning radius. Where is the weight being distributed with extended goose box?
Old 11-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #56
andyrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
With the Pullrite Superlite you have the choice of how you mount the ball on the trailer. A bit forward for more truck to 5th cap clearance, or swing it around 180 degrees for less clearance. It's not much difference, maybe 3-4 inches.
I tried the Pullrite and with the offset ball thingy it ended up messing with my Trailair rubber isolating pad on the pinbox. Crushed it at the front to the point that I was uncomfortable towing with it. Pullrite offered up a steel tubing spacer solution but all it did was nullify the rubber isolation pad. Stick with a good 5th wheel hitch and get some sort of truck crane attachment for your rear hitch to remove the 5th wheel hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_123823.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	19451  
andyrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:08 AM   #57
rfpete5287

What kind of truck cab clearance do you have on tight turns.
rfpete5287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #58
rhaney

Cab Clearance

I had about 10" of clearance but I had my pinbox adapter pointed forward. Be careful though with contacting the bed side rails with your pinbox. That might be your only limiting factor. BTW, I just sold mine. I loved the ride I got with it and it was relatively easy to take out and install but I had two mitigating factor as to why I had to sell it. First I installed a very large transfer tank and the two would not fit the bed. Second, I pull a goose neck cattle trailer so I had to go with the Reesebox. Now I pull the cattle trailer and my RV off the goose ball in my bed. I still get a good ride because pulling off a ball is smoother than pulling on a pin. The Reese Goosebox is the only goose neck adapter that will not void the Lipert frame warranty.
rhaney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch