Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
Libbett

r value insulation

Where do you find the r value rating for the Keystone fifth wheels? I saw one thread that mentioned checking the Keystone website under features but the website does not have that info there anymore. The thread was from 2014. Anyone know what it is for a 2018 Cougar?
Libbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Hankster

If you put in the year, make, and model there's a website that gives you all the factory specs. I can't remember which one it is.
RvUSA.com is the website I was using to find info on my bullet 261RBSWE.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
travelin texans

Just realize that regardless of the r values or whatever catchy supposedly all season name they may give any rv they are not built to handle extreme heat or cold for any length of time, if at all.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
mazboy

'R' value, really? The 'R' value in a RV is 'it sucks' at it's best.

over the years they have advertised 'winter' and 'r' value but the bottomline is it is terrible .
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Essentially, the most "r value" you can get in a 2" Styrofoam wall is around r-9. RV manufacturers use some "magical, novel ways" to increase r value. They install "foil backed bubble wrap" in slide floors (does nothing for the walls or ceiling) and coroplast (corrugated plastic) on the bottom of trailers. The coroplast provides a "dead air space" advertised as "additional insulation" but realistically, how much "r value" is in 1/4" of "dead air space" ???

It seems that in the past couple of years, manufacturers have moved away from advertising "r value" in travel trailers and have moved to advertising "degree rating". Used to be they'd say the trailer walls were r-9, ceiling with bubble wrap had an "effective r value of 30" and a "basement r value of 35" or similar ratings depending on the price range and insulating values of the brand.

Now, most manufacturers are advertising "comfort rated to 0F with installed furnace system" or similar claims.

This is my "opinion" not based on facts that I have seen or can obtain, but it looks like the "magic of bubblewrap to increase insulation" is hard for a manufacturer to address in "actual r value" so they've moved away from "r value statistics" and moved toward "temperature ratings".... Honestly, the "temp ratings" probably mean more to most RV shoppers than the r value does, since bubble wrap doesn't produce a "true r value" increase because of the way it's rated: partially reflective, partially insulative, partially absorptive.... It seems easier to understand, "I can be comfortable in shirt sleeves when it's 10F outside with the furnace running".... What's not said is that the furnace never shuts off, the propane only lasts 2 days and the battery will be "dead by 3AM".......

The bottom line is that few RV's that are mass produced in the lower/medium price ranges have enough insulation to be considered efficient. When you consider the size of the single pane windows (r-0) they all are "colder than most S&B buildings.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Tbos

When they do advertise it the same components get a different rating in different rigs.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
theeyres

Even if you do find a r-value, it doesn't take into account the windows--which are sometimes plastic, nor the rubber seals between the slides and body, the skylights which are plastic, etc. It's a fairly meaningless number because there are so many other variables. Personally, I would do a lot of research looking for actually customer comments about rigs they have owned or own. That would be more meaningful.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:15 AM   #8
Libbett

Thanks. Just had a friend buy a Grand Design FW with the claims that the R value in them are 40 in the ceiling something like 30 in the floors and walls were pretty high too. Got me to thinking about our Cougar and what it may be. I too wonder about the slides and other places cold can get in. We're currently hanging out in ours in B'burg, VA tailgating. 30° overnight but we've been toasty.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
bob91yj

Welded aluminum walls with R7 insulation, in my walls.
R14 blanket insulation in the roof.
R10 block foam insulation, in the floor.

All from the Keystone sight for my particular trailer.

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
Libbett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
Welded aluminum walls with R7 insulation, in my walls.
R14 blanket insulation in the roof.
R10 block foam insulation, in the floor.

All from the Keystone sight for my particular trailer.

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/
That's odd that they don't do that for all of their models! There's nothing like that listed under our model.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
bob91yj

^^^^I took a quick look at the Cougar 5th wheel line up and didn't see it either.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
fourfourto

For my 2017 1750RD it has r7 insulation roof, walls ,floor guess that's minimum.
Was comfortable at 39/ 40 degrees(shades down) don't plan camping on any colder than that.

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote