Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

The Battery

Just wondering what you guys do with your batteries during winter storage? I've removed my battery and its in my garage right now. From what I've read so far I should fully charge the battery if its not already and store it the basement and put in on the concrete floor on top of a pc. of wood. What I'm wondering is it better to leave/watch it until a certain discharge and fully charge it again or, leave it on a 2a trickle charge?
Thanks
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

A 12V floating charger such as a BATTERY TENDER should do what you need. It will cycle the charging as needed to keep the battery in good health and charged. Not sure about why the basement floor on a board... In any case, the 2A trickle charger will eventually boil your battery; it is used to slow charge a new battery but is too dumb to know when to stop.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Rick

No need to put it on wood....that's old school. Put it right on concrete floor.
https://northeastbattery.com/do-ceme...car-batteries/
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

A cold concrete floor will drain a battery faster so I read. Also letting a battery drain completely is a no no...the battery won't hold its charge to the max next season. Also over charging is a no no. This battery stuff is important A properly maintained battery will give you 5 years of good service so I also read. I think I'll keep an eye on the battery level and charge it when necessary...don't have a "tender" I thought a trickle charge was harmless to a battery?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

Yes, a good quality well maintained battery will last at least five years. I'm still using a battery that is dated 6/13 on a daily basis.

The Battery Tender is a good investment. I have one for each battery. Batteries lose charge pretty quickly even when they are not under load, about 1% a day. So in less than two months in storage you are below 50%, which will shorten the life of your battery.

You also want to check the water level in each cell before you put it in storage if you have a traditional lead acid battery. Top off any cells that need it with distilled water. A medicine syringe works great and most pharmacies will give you one for free or a small charge.

There is some danger from off gassing with lead acid batteries, particularly if they are over charged. It's another reason to invest in a Battery Tender. You can find several good articles on the topic and concerns if you Google "battery off gassing".

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
Canonman

The Battery Tender is made for maintaining the battery charged when not in use. We have our batteries stored in the garage from Nov to May. Just attach the Battery Tender, plug it in to 110v and all is well. Keep an eye (about once a month) on the water level in the battery but that's about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1451.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	18996  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

That's a good one compeakw, thanks. So the concrete floor thing is old/cold news? Another battery question...a trickle charge and a battery tender are in no way similar? There is also some danger of me gassing off particularly after an over charged dinner
Old 10-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Another good one Canonman…Nov. to May...you sound Canadian
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
travelin texans

I'd sit it on a piece of wood if for no other reason than not discoloring the concrete if it happens to leak.
I have a 2 amp solar charger connected to mine so it's charging during the daylight hours, has worked great all summer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
That's a good one compeakw, thanks. So the concrete floor thing is old/cold news? Another battery question...a trickle charge and a battery tender are in no way similar? There is also some danger of me gassing off particularly after an over charged dinner
You're welcome and thank you.

The concern about batteries discharging on concrete goes back to the days before plastic cases. It isn't an issue now. That being said, I did read one article that warned that the liquid in batteries sitting on concrete floors that are significantly colder than the air can stratify. I live just south of the Canadian border and keep my batteries on heavy duty plastic utility shelving. If nothing else, it is a heck of a lot easier on the back than putting them down and picking them up off the floor.

What you want is a charger with a "Maintainer" or "Maintenance" mode. Usually it is 3 amps. Inexpensive trickle chargers do not have the circuitry to monitor the charge level and automatically turn charging on and off and over charging can result. The Battery Tender is a trickle charger that does have the circuitry.

Before I bought my Battery Tenders (on clearance sale at Tractor Supply after the holidays) I used the "Maintainer" mode on my Schumacher charger without a problem.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I just purchased the "Battery Tender Plus 1.25 amp" It should do the job. Thanks wiredgeorge I could've fried my new Interstate Battery with that trickle charge. Great info from everyone. I'm assuming its not ok to set this up in my warm basement instead of the cold garage?
Old 10-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #12
ken56

I just replaced one of my car batteries, original from 2006. Just shy of 12 years of service. That said, my trailer battery is a deep cycle AGM that I leave hooked up to power at my house so it doesn't get to 'deep cycle' that often. My question is, is it bad for an AGM battery to stay plugged in all the time and not cycle all that often? Should I discharge it to 50% and recharge in AGM mode?
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
Jacketsbum

So I just leave my battery in the camper which is under cover and plugged into shore power. Battery stays charged, been doing it for years with no problems.
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #14
Canonman

This season I noticed some "boil off" using my WFCO converter. We dry camped for an extended period then stayed 3 days with hook ups then dry camped for 5 days. When we got home I checked the water level in the batteries. All good. Connected to shore power at the house and within a week most of the cells were low on water. I don't think I'd trust the WFCO converter to "maintain" the charge without checking the water level at least weekly.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #15
TLB

Mine too is removed and stored inside with a Battery Tender.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #16
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I was thinking of setting up in the basement but decided the garage was a safer place if something happened. I have the battery and the tender on a wooden shelf about 5ft. apart. Reading about off gases, sparks, and potential explosions is scary stuff.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
edw_jr

Battery storage

Don't know if anyone has done this but last winter, since I had an old battery, I left it on board and left the rig plugged in for the winter. When
I uncovered and checked it over thise spring the battery was full charge and performed good all summer. Really didn't expect it to be any good since we live in the Thumb of MI. but haven't had a problem so far. Going to try it again this winter. Also had three electric critter chaser things plugged in and had no problem with mice, bugs, etc.
edw_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
efrulla

I keep my on a tender all winter long. I have a sport for it on my work bench so it is on wood anyway. That is a point of laziness on me. Did not know about the concrete floor thing.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery