Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #21
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeyspirate View Post
First let me say that it seems by some of the tones in a few answers that I may have ruffled a few feathers by my question. That was not my intention. I do love my particular camper, but have many times when it had to be returned to the dealership been a little more than discouraged by it's quality. My philosophy in life has always been to expect the worst, but be ready to accept the best. I bought a classic car last year, and realize every time that I sit in it, that it is, and will remain above all quality. So I apologize to those of you I may have offended. I simply wanted to know...what keeps you camping, no more, no less.
No offense here. As I stated earlier, I do understand the frustration.

Having owned many used RV's over the years, and having purchased my first brand new one only three months ago, I am having to adjust my thinking. It's turning out, for me anyway, that the new one is more hassle than the used, despite the fact that for the warranty period, the repairs are theoretically "free"...In fact those repairs are paid for up front by the "new" price, and the "hassle" comes in with having to take it to a dealership where they cannot commit to getting the work done in any time frame whatsoever, nor can they, apparently, commit to doing the work correctly, or without damaging something else. Thus, my time hauling it back and forth to the dealer, and the time I'm without the RV, are turning out to be a bigger hassle than just fixing it myself, right here at home.

I doubt we'll ever be without an RV. My wife and I like getting "out there" too much. But it's likely that this year we've purchased both our first, and last, new one.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeyspirate View Post
First let me say that it seems by some of the tones in a few answers that I may have ruffled a few feathers by my question. That was not my intention. I do love my particular camper, but have many times when it had to be returned to the dealership been a little more than discouraged by it's quality. My philosophy in life has always been to expect the worst, but be ready to accept the best. I bought a classic car last year, and realize every time that I sit in it, that it is, and will remain above all quality. So I apologize to those of you I may have offended. I simply wanted to know...what keeps you camping, no more, no less.
"Ruffled feathers or offended people" ??? Probably not, but "crusty answers" You'll likely get many....

First, if you really REALLY want a "problem free trailer" you might look to Bowlus. They sell a 23' aluminum trailer with all the options. https://www.bowlusroadchief.com/endlesshighways.html Cost is just over $219,000 which includes delivery. There is a "low cost model" that retails for about $140,000. There is NO dealer network, if anything happens, you get to take it back to the factory in Henderson, NV (by appointment only). They do suggest that if you have structural problems, any local airplane repair facility "should" be able to repair or replace the skin and maintain the outer aluminum finish....

I'm not sure what your expectations are, but the Passport 2400BH lists for between $18,500 and $24,000 MSRP. Many are listed for sale around the 16,000 price range. Being "disappointed in the quality" of a $16,000 trailer could be anything from not liking the fit of the trim to not liking the way the battery system operates. Both are (as is most problems between those two extremes) a matter of perspective. But to compare the expectation of "quality" to a $220,000 "work of art", well, you aren't going to get that kind of quality in a Keystone.

Remember, if you look for the problems, you'll worry yourself into ulcers... If you're busy enjoying your Passport, the problems tend to become "inconsequential" when compared to the fun your family is having.

In short, if you want "trouble free" you didn't pay enough for your trailer to be in that "price range"..... And yes, even with a "quarter million dollar trailer" you have to make an appointment to get it looked at...... (that tells me that even the Bowlus isn't "free of problems" if they have a provision to repair them), but you still need an appointment.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #23
bob91yj

Never heard of the Bowlus brand before...wow...I thought it was WAY overpriced until I saw that it comes with two bath towels...that changes everything!
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
Never heard of the Bowlus brand before...wow...I thought it was WAY overpriced until I saw that it comes with two bath towels...that changes everything!
Ya think a person might negotiate a set of steak knives into that MSRP?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #25
AbHDToyHauler

The wife and I talked long and hard and thought about buying a toy hauler for several years before we did. We looked at Class A diesel pushers, Class C and even bumper pulls but decided on a fifth wheel. Because of this site and friends advice etc we decided to buy used thinking that the previous person would have fixed most of the issues if we were careful to find a used one that the owner cared about. The one we bought had an extended warranty and we still had some small issues that I fixed myself and in the process learned alot about the RV. We saved enough buying used to do "alot" of repairs if we need to, so we are quite a happy with our "used" RV. But to each their own.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #26
Number 4

I started camping in a canvas tent with exterior aluminum poles. The air mattress would invariably leak, the flies and no-see-ums were around whenever there was food and hot food would get cold quick at the picnic table. My first time out in that little Shasta trailer my dinner was hot, there were no bugs, we had light without the hiss and blinding brightness of a Coleman lantern and a mattress that wouldn't go flat. That alone sold me on trailer camping and now many years later we have an awning, microwave, stereo, heater, AC, shower... wow!. We love our little Hideaway and I don't mind fixit jobs and maintenance for the rewards of getting away from city life for 4-5 days. Worth it? You bet! When retirement arrives in 2-3 years we'll enjoy it more often.

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #27
PKONolan

Break Out Another Thousand

If you want to feel better about the breakdowns and maintenance headaches of your RV, buy a boat.

In all seriousness, we have had pretty good luck with our Boats and our 2014 Keystone Passport 2400BH but neither of these toys come without some significant time investment. However, we have not experienced any major system failures on either so I guess my biggest complaint would be the weathering on the front and rear panels. When you live over 6,000 feet above sea level, that is generally the case with anything stored or used outside. I chock it up to challenges of making a house light enough to pull behind your car.

And the family memories that have been created using both make every moment of rubbing and wrench turning well worth it. And it sure beats sleeping on the ground (though I do that too when I backpack. My wife chooses not to participate in that foolishness since she has a perfectly good glamper to sleep in).
PKONolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #28
babaloo

I purchased a 2018 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel 6 monrhs ago. We are happy, so far, BUT...
It is the "1/2 ton towable". It seems as though everything on it is slightly lighter, slightly thinner, slightly less quality, than the more expensive, non-half ton models. I was told that for every so many models churned out, that 1 in 36, ( or whatever the specific numer is,) they run a model through a very tough obstacle driving course with bumps, dips, etc., to check out quality and standards on how it holds up. Don't know if thats true, but we have had many small problems on our brand new model. ( Did I get that tester model ?!} Front end cap lights coming off, plastic molding inside not secured, many nails in main bedroom protruding from carpet, screws missing, door latch not secured, metal floor vents already moshed inwards, drawer face fronts out of alignment, etc...all little things, but collectively, a real pain, especially on a brand new product.
There is nothing like boondocking out in the beautiful desert, and seeing this countries sights, BUT I agree....quality in mass produced products, is rare !

2015 3500 Ram Dually... 2018 Keystone Cougar 279RKSWE
babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #29
pitman44

My recommendation is to buy "lightly used" RVs. Many of the new problems have already been fixed. Plus you don't take that huge off the lot depreciation.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
My recommendation is to buy "lightly used" RVs. Many of the new problems have already been fixed. Plus you don't take that huge off the lot depreciation.
Just so happens I've got one of those well maintained, well cared for used ones for sale.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #31
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
I agree with this so long as you are very knowledgeable about RVs. Your experience will help you avoid buying someone else’s problems. When buying used you need to be picky and patient.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #32
pitman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I agree with this so long as you are very knowledgeable about RVs. Your experience will help you avoid buying someone else’s problems. When buying used you need to be picky and patient.

It seems the problem buying new ones is there are often undetectable issues that only show up "down the road". Then you often have to deal with under staffed and/or poorly trained service personnel at the dealers plus you're paying the big bucks right out of the gate.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #33
Claudius

Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
We tented when i was a kid. When i got married we tented. We have 2 great grandchildren now. We now have a 2013 35 foot keystone TT. It will be our last. Looking back we tented, I built a Camper Van, had a Husky Camper.
Some travel trailers. If i were not handy I think i might have given up on this years ago. Every single unit i owned had issues, even the camper van i built. It ended up too heavy and the brakes warped all the time. There was always something. Being young back then i couldn't afford the cost of some one repairing stuff. I put a one piece roof on my Camper cause it was leaking.
New Fridge. Buying new isn't much better. My 2013 for example, The atwood fridge is crap we hated it, so i put in a new Dometic RM2852. My stove had a small oven RV-1735 which won't even cook a chicken so i put in a atwood RA-2135. My water pump didn't give me enough water and pressure to the shower which is in the front and my pump is in the back. Couldn't shave in the dinky sink so a bigger one went in. Pantry 25" deep...lol, wife is under 5' tall she couldn't get the stuff in the back, that got fixed. It goes on, but that's enough. This is a new trailer not used. Buy used? Been there done that too. Are you fussy like me? Better have money and or be handy. They all have issues. It's almost a crap shoot. If you tow you will have a lot more issues than these park it in a resort Campers....lol. Seen the new windrivers? The ceilings are coming down from the factory right where they join them. $70.000 for those things.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #34
bbells

IMHO, a current year dealer rental is the best way to buy a trailer. I go on a month long trip 2-3 times a year, and hate motels. I have owned numerous tents, then tent trailers, bought a new North Trail in 2014, then my current Springdale in February of this year. The North Trail had extreme quality issues like yours, so I sold it for a low price. That trailer told me what not to get in my next one. The dealer rental had a great price, and all the kinks were already found and repaired. I have had nothing but good luck with it. I would suggest, sell your current trailer, use what you learned from it, and get a camper that more closely meets your needs. Or, get a cheaper used one and like one person said, understand it is older and live with the flaws.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #35
rjullrich

Well, I guess we are not the only ones who still love our camper and all of the GOOD experiences that have gone with it. Frustrating as hell at times, but still worth it. And, a big part of the satisfaction is being around some of the nicest and most considerate people you will ever find. That includes not only those at the rv parks, but so many great people right here on this forum. No question is considered "stupid", and no judgment is made. Everyone is treated with respect - you know, just like a lot of us older folks were raised and how we have lived our entire lives. I believe that camping folks are the BEST!!! Just my 2c worth. :-)
rjullrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
We tented when i was a kid. When i got married we tented. We have 2 great grandchildren now. We now have a 2013 35 foot keystone TT. It will be our last. Looking back we tented, I built a Camper Van, had a Husky Camper.
Some travel trailers. If i were not handy I think i might have given up on this years ago. Every single unit i owned had issues, even the camper van i built. It ended up too heavy and the brakes warped all the time. There was always something. Being young back then i couldn't afford the cost of some one repairing stuff. I put a one piece roof on my Camper cause it was leaking.
New Fridge. Buying new isn't much better. My 2013 for example, The atwood fridge is crap we hated it, so i put in a new Dometic RM2852. My stove had a small oven RV-1735 which won't even cook a chicken so i put in a atwood RA-2135. My water pump didn't give me enough water and pressure to the shower which is in the front and my pump is in the back. Couldn't shave in the dinky sink so a bigger one went in. Pantry 25" deep...lol, wife is under 5' tall she couldn't get the stuff in the back, that got fixed. It goes on, but that's enough. This is a new trailer not used. Buy used? Been there done that too. Are you fussy like me? Better have money and or be handy. They all have issues. It's almost a crap shoot. If you tow you will have a lot more issues than these park it in a resort Campers....lol. Seen the new windrivers? The ceilings are coming down from the factory right where they join them. $70.000 for those things.
So your trailer is "your last one" due to some of the problems listed? Are you going to just give up the options that the RV gives you? Are you at the age that you just don't want to mess with it any longer and just sit at home? I'm interested because I wonder about "what's next" for us...sort of. I have 2 homes, tons of timeshare (at least 6 mos. in a minimum of a 2 bdrm. luxury condo in VERY nice places), the RV and the means to just "go places". Of all those things, we have become very attached to the RV and what it offers us vs all the other things, so again, I'm just wondering what you perceive your options are to keep going and seeing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #37
Claudius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
So your trailer is "your last one" due to some of the problems listed?
NO....OLD AGE silly. I don't intend on pulling 60' (truck and trailer = 60') down the road at age 75. I don't sit in a resort (not my idea of Camping)
This trailer will last me 10 more years I might not.
mskeyspirate should know that a person that travels down the road with their rig will always have more issues than one who parks it in a resort so to speak.
They don't use the 110 volt side of the unit, where as one who pulls might use the 12v and propane side.
So sort through the answers people give you in here.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote