Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
Oldmopar

Paint for Bullet Preimer Cap? Small damage excaping a fire.

So, this weekend we had a terrible wild fire come through our neighborhood and we were forced to evacuate. The fire burned almost 2000 acres and we were in the middle of it.

Thankfully our house was untouched, but about 10 acres of our land was burned. All sagebrush.
Anyway, in an effort to get the TT loaded and out before the fire reached us, I turned the truck too sharp and the box on my service truck poked a hole in the cap.

I can fix the hole, I have done plenty of fiberglass work, and it is only about 1.5 in. I just need the paint to touch it up. Does the dealer sell touch-up paint, or is there a place to get the color?
BTW, as I pulled out of my driveway I had to swing wide and the fire was so close at the edge of our road, my front bumper passed over the fire. It was very close.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopar View Post
So, this weekend we had a terrible wild fire come through our neighborhood and we were forced to evacuate. The fire burned almost 2000 acres and we were in the middle of it.

Thankfully our house was untouched, but about 10 acres of our land was burned. All sagebrush.
Anyway, in an effort to get the TT loaded and out before the fire reached us, I turned the truck too sharp and the box on my service truck poked a hole in the cap.

I can fix the hole, I have done plenty of fiberglass work, and it is only about 1.5 in. I just need the paint to touch it up. Does the dealer sell touch-up paint, or is there a place to get the color?
BTW, as I pulled out of my driveway I had to swing wide and the fire was so close at the edge of our road, my front bumper passed over the fire. It was very close.
I am very sorry to hear of the situation. Where are you? I know some of the country I grew up in and dearly love around La Veta, CO is burning now as well.

I don't know of the dealer sells the paint but I do know that when they painted mine they must have had some kind of code because it matches perfectly. They used (I think I recall) PPG? paint and clear coated so I would check with the dealer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
cavediver

The cap on mine is black and black is black it's the only color that does this. Any make vehicle is the same. That being said oxidation will change the color. But today's shops can match your color.
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
spettiner

Any good body shop or paint distributor should have the proper tools to match your paint if you can't come up with a paint code.
spettiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
jtludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopar View Post

Oh my gosh. I don’t have much to add other than that must have been a scary experience.

I’m glad that you escaped unharmed and that your property was mostly undamaged
jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Oldmopar

It was a bit freaky. I have always had a great deal of respect for the Fire fighters, but now even more. These guys did a fantastic job of saving the homes. Then spent the next few days doing mop up taking care of hot spots.

They used a Dozer and made fire breaks on my land and fire came all the way up to the breaks about 75 feet from my house. But like I said, it was just sagebrush anyway, nothing of any value.

Thanks for the suggestions on the paint, I think it is more brown than black, but I will check. I will call the dealer and see if there is a paint code for that color. If not I am sure I can break off a flake before I repair it and have someone match it.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #7
LuvsPalmTrees

Wow I am so glad you are safe and the damage is minimal. What a heads up on getting your TT out of harms way. The whole situation had to be very frightening.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Steve/

Is it a place that a decal would look nice?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

I have restored many vintage motorcycles and there are several paint stores (auto paint) in San Antonio that do computer matching; they can even put the paint in a rattle can. This should work OK unless the paint on the cap is base/color/clear and then all bets are off. You would be best to shoot the whole cap which would not be all that difficult except for the ladder and cap issue which is kind of awkward.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Overspray

If the damage area is only 1.5”, the repair will end up being a good amount larger. I’d call the manufacturer to see if there is a color code for it, but chances are that you’ll have to take it to an automotive paint supply store and have them do a “camera shot”, basically a fancy computer aid to assist them in mixing your color. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the fire but happy to hear everyone was unscathed.

Also, cavediver... Black is not black. Most blacks have any other tints in them. Even Chrysler has many variants of their own black that range from deep black to gray tone. Generally you wouldn’t know, but a repair with the wrong shade of black will stick out like a sore thumb.
Overspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Olsen29

Please update us on the paint codes
I have a premier 2017 and would like too keep some on hand.
Olsen29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet, damage, paint