Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2024, 08:41 PM   #1
GallopingGrandpa

Kitchen sink separating from countertop

Really love our 2023 22MLS Hideout travel trailer. Purchased it in November of 2022.

Sort of surprised by this little problem that has just cropped up so soon. It seems the kitchen sink is sinking and separating from the countertop. Looking underneath, it doesn't look like it is sinking, it looks more like the sealant has separated and water has caused the wood to swell and the counter top surface is separating from the wood.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I have attached a couple of pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240219_110808.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	46281   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240219_110835.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	46282  
GallopingGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:23 PM   #2
peanut

You are exactly right.
Water got to the particle board somehow and caused it to swell.
We could have a discussion of how / why - - but at this point it doesn't really matter. It's a done deal.

I see two solutions:
1. replace the countertop. If I did this I think I would use Formica (plastic laminate) instead of the paper thin whatever it is that the factory uses to wrap their counters. (In other words, I would not order and use another OEM counter. I would make my own) You would lose your rounded edges but have a better (IMO), longer lasting countertop. I have heard rumors of laminate covered counters swelling but in 40 years as a carpenter I have never actually seen it in real life.

2. replace the sink with an oldstyle drop in that has a flange all the way around. Plumbers putty under the flange keeps water out and the particle board dry. If you chose this, you may have to go to a slightly larger sink (if you have the room). Just enlarge the hole and drop the new basin in.

Good luck.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:04 PM   #3
GallopingGrandpa

Thanks for your ideas.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:50 AM   #4
rhagfo

Peanut thoughts are spot on with these additions, don't use particle board as the base next time, use a good quality multiple ply plywood.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:26 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Peanut is on the money. What's done is done and you can't "unswell" that cheap particle board. On the two options pointed out no matter what I did I would go with a drop in sink if you keep or install a new wood based counter top. You can seal the water out and know it is sealed out. With an undermount sink I would only use a solid surface countertop because what happened here can always happen if water finds it's way into that gap...that you can't see into. You could go with your own custom made counter top of a solid wood but by then the weight would be almost like having a solid surface top so I would opt for it.

Since it's a 23 it may be covered under warranty if you wanted to pursue that. If you do I would insist on a new countertop. They will probably want to just squirt some silicone in the gap but that does not fix the problem with the damaged wood which isn't returning it like it was when purchased.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:47 PM   #6
GallopingGrandpa

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:58 AM   #7
rlh1957

Now is the time to fix it all with the suggestions already given.
It’t yours and needs your taste. Upgrade to a countertop you like.
Be on the lookout for spots you may be able to modify original dimensions or shape. Some areas you may find need to be reduced from factory unit.
Regular kitchen fixtures and plumbing can be used. RV fixtures are limited in quality, style and parts availabilty.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:05 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGrandpa View Post
Really love our 2023 22MLS Hideout travel trailer. Purchased it in November of 2022.

Maybe a little late to comment, but have you contacted your dealer with the countertop problem? It's no longer in warranty, but looks like it's only about 3 months expired. Keystone may look at it with a "good will gesture repair"....

Why? Keystone changed the type countertop they use in lightweight trailers from "MDF with laminate top" to "pressed paper (think hardboard) with a foil topping". If they've been having an increased failure rate, they may have a "customer service program" (usually not known to the dealer, but on file with Keystone Customer Service) that would replace your countertop based on that "unpublished program".

While you may be told by Keystone, "NOPE, not happening" you would never know if you don't at least ask the question through the dealership. Why the dealership? Keystone's #1 policy with all repair authorizations is "dealer inspection"..... So, if you call them to ask about a possible program, they're going to tell you to contact your dealer to verify the condition.

Might be worth a try before you start ripping things out at your own expense.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:30 PM   #9
Folkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGrandpa View Post

Sort of surprised by this little problem that has just cropped up so soon. It seems the kitchen sink is sinking and separating from the countertop. Looking underneath, it doesn't look like it is sinking, it looks more like the sealant has separated and water has caused the wood to swell and the counter top surface is separating from the wood.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

I have attached a couple of pictures.
Good advice provided to you in this thread on how to approach repairs. I got to thinking on what might have caused this situation. It may have been poor caulking when the sink was installed or it may be what I found when I first got my unit. I forgot the reason I was under the sink, (it might have been a leak from the faucet) but as I was under with the door frame digging into my back, I noticed that almost half of the sink hangers were not engaged. Of course it was the half that were almost impossible to properly tighten.
I figure that if I hadn't noticed, my caulking probably would have pulled away and I would be looking at a counter replacement too.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:21 AM   #10
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Good advice provided to you in this thread on how to approach repairs. I got to thinking on what might have caused this situation. It may have been poor caulking when the sink was installed or it may be what I found when I first got my unit. I forgot the reason I was under the sink, (it might have been a leak from the faucet) but as I was under with the door frame digging into my back, I noticed that almost half of the sink hangers were not engaged. Of course it was the half that were almost impossible to properly tighten.
I figure that if I hadn't noticed, my caulking probably would have pulled away and I would be looking at a counter replacement too.
I’m going to check mine for this. Thank you.
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:08 AM   #11
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
I’m going to check mine for this. Thank you.

Me too! Actually because of this thread I have added an item to my checklist to inspect the caulking on the sink and the faucet annually. Any little water from any of the 'holes'/'cutouts' in these counters can cause this issue if not sealed.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink