Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2024, 10:30 AM   #1
glock35ipsc

Soft start on a wall mount AC?

I've done a bit of searching, but not finding what I 'm after. I have a 2017 Springdale Mini 1750RD that has the 8000btu wall mount AC unit. It there a specific soft start for these units, or once inside do they all install the same?
Old 01-25-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
glock35ipsc

So I searched the forum, but apparently I didn't search Google enough. I found these, so I guess that's my answer.

https://www.amazon.com/InnoRaymond-G.../dp/B07VQDMFZD

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Tools-S.../dp/B0C8HJMWZX
Old 01-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I don't think that an 8,000 BTU wall AC would see any benefit from a soft start, nor do I think it could easily be modified to accept one since it is basically a household window AC unit modified for use in an RV. I also believe that start-up and running amps in the stock AC configuration (no soft start) is well-within the capability of even the smallest portable generator.

The most common reason for installing a soft start is to be able to run it off a small inverter generator, which you can do currently. What is your intent/reasoning for wanting to install a soft start?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:08 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Try searching "rv ac softstart" and you will get results that are more appropriate. Micro- Air is one of the popular brands.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 11:28 AM   #5
glock35ipsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
The most common reason for installing a soft start is to be able to run it off a small inverter generator, which you can do currently. What is your intent/reasoning for wanting to install a soft start?
I don't use a generator, so I'm looking at one to make life easier on the equipment when running it off the battery/inverter (currently 400aH of LiFePO4, soon to double). I do have one on my home AC unit because I will run that on the generator during summer outages.

I did find one that would be simple to install, unplug the AC and insert this inline.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:47 PM   #6
LHaven

It looks like you asked Amazon specifically about RV A/Cs and got mixed replies. I'd worry about their caveat that the load be mechanically switched, especially when combined with their other caveat implying that they will be unhappy if you return the product simply because it was incompatible with your application. All the commercial RV soft-start units require connections to interior parts of the A/C that aren't raw power inputs, so I would be wary that this box will do what you need it to.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:46 AM   #7
glock35ipsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
It looks like you asked Amazon specifically about RV A/Cs and got mixed replies. I'd worry about their caveat that the load be mechanically switched, especially when combined with their other caveat implying that they will be unhappy if you return the product simply because it was incompatible with your application. All the commercial RV soft-start units require connections to interior parts of the A/C that aren't raw power inputs, so I would be wary that this box will do what you need it to.
Thanks. I think I'll just wait until I finish the inverter install and see how the AC and microwave works.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:05 AM   #8
jxnbbl

I just looked at the details of this as it is an interesting thing to add to my garage for my table saw, etc. I'd look at the details as I found this on Amazon about this model:

Incompatible with most digital applications.
Such as:

Air Conditioners

Dehumidifiers

Printers

Garage door openers

Printers

Air compressors
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount