Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #21
Ken / Claudia

The legal part of this story. This could be considered a trailer, it is in this state. Reasons It is not a permanent part of the tow vehicle. Anything like this attached to a tow vehicle that has 1800 or more lbs needs a license as in a utility trailer. (unless it's a real RV, they have their own license needs). It would need to be a vehicle with a VIN and pass all DOT tests. This would be weighted with the trailer connected. If no RV on it, than could be legal to pull as a light weight trailer under 1800 lbs and no license needed but it is still a vehicle (ie a trailer). It might be ok in states allowing non comm vehicles to tow 2 trailers. Could you or should you I will not say. I cannot here so for me it's a no.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #22
BadmanRick

Friend of ours has an f150 ecoBoost 4x4. His claimed tow rating was 12500 lbs. tried to pull his 7000 lb TT with s blue ox weight distribution hitch and could not control the sway. Truck was tooo light for trailer. Trained in the trailer for a motorhome. Only good thing about the F150 is he can dingy tow it all 4 down. Says he gets Terrable gas mileage. No where near what was advertised. I’ll stick with my Toyota Platinum Tundra.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #23
John61CT

If the trailer even approaches TV weight, better fit best possible brakes, and take things **very** slow
John61CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #24
deltadude

We had a set up like that on a race car trailer only it was part of the tongue on the trailer. We towed all over the West coast for years. Never had any issues with it.
deltadude is offline   Reply With Quote