Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
busterbrown

Axle Spring Length

We just got to the campground and noticed a broken passenger side rear axle spring. Must have just happened as we entered the park as there is no damage to the trailer. I was able to unhitch the trailer and am on my way back home for jacks and tools. To get the correct replacement spring, I need to know the unloaded length on this one off a 3500 lb axle. An help is appreciated. Also, anything special to know to remove this axle spring? Haven't ever removed a trailer spring before.

The coach in question is the one listed in my signature with Keysyone's standard wide spaced axles
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Sorry for your misfortune, glad there was no damage or injuries

If you can "unload the weight" on the remaining good rear spring by lifting the frame a little, you should be all set to get close measurement. Also it probably wouldn't hurt to take the broken leaf with you.

If you haven't done springs yet, just remember to chock all grounded wheels, and support the broken end axle with a good adjustable jack to help setting the hardware. I haven't done it in quite a few years, but I remember using a come-along also to help position the axle for re-assembly.

Be SAFE, and Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Javi

Six bolts.. 4 under the axle ( 2 on each U-bolt) and one on each end of the spring.. You can put a jack or jack stand under the axle to hold it up.. Replace the spring and retighten the bolts..

I generally would have removed the U-bolts first and then the spring hangers... Be sure to check out the shackles for wear..

Less than a six pack job even with a buddy helping..
Old 09-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
busterbrown

Thanks for the advice Javi and Pull Toy. Is it recommended to replace the ubolts along with any other hardware for a spring replacement? I haven't attempted to remove the ubolts so I'm hopeful they're not seized on. I may buy a set just in case. I was planning on replacing all the shackles, bushings, and bolts in the spring with a wet bolt kit. Unfortunately, the coach is laid up at a campground and I have no tools there. So, it will just be an emergency repair. Spoke with DNR personnel and they told me I can keep the trailer parked on site til Wednesday (we're reserved til Monday) without additional fees. I can't even get the new leaf spring til Tuesday morning. I hope to have it all disassembled by tomorrow. Oh, another thought that crossed my mind, should I replace both springs on the passenger side? 1 failed just after 2 years. What says the other spring wont too? And why only after 2 years of use?

Old 09-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
66joej

Can't comment on the early spring failure but you might want to get a deep socket for the U bolts. Last ones I did the bolts protruded about 1 1/2" past the nuts.
As Javi mentioned not a challenging task. If you have the basic tools.
Good luck on the repair.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:01 PM   #6
bobbecky

You need a heavy jack to lift the frame and also helps to have a smaller jack for the axle. It might also help to have a second heavy jack if you can't get enough lift with the first one, and some blocks will also help. I replaced one on our rig a while back and reused the u-bolts, no problem. I was fortunate that not too far away there was a Redneck Trailer supply and they had what I needed. Yes, bring the broken spring pack with you.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
busterbrown

Just got back to the trailer. Never noticed til niw but the leaf spring is a single spring...not a traditional spring pack. Unbelievable how cheap these trailers are made. Come next spring, I'm contemplating upgrading both axle and spring assemblies.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
busterbrown

I'm having a difficult time sourcing a single leaf spring for my 3500 lb axles. Etrailer doesn't stock a single leaf. Anyone know if a multiple leaf spring for the same size axle will be compatible? Would I have to change out both springs if they are?

Old 09-02-2018, 02:06 AM   #9
cavediver

I noticed you are from SE Michigan. Toledo spring will make what you need. If your from farther north. the Detroit area may a spring place that will do the same.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:10 AM   #10
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
I noticed you are from SE Michigan. Toledo spring will make what you need. If your from farther north. the Detroit area may a spring place that will do the same.

Jack
My trailer is up near Lapeer, Mi. I live about 20 miles north of Detroit. Toledo is a bit far unfortunately. It seams though that this single leaf spring is not readily available. I've been talking to a Keystone Bullet owner on a FB forum who is stranded in Flagstaff, AZ for the same reason. Said his only option was to order directly from Keystone through a local dealer. This news is not making me happy. I can't believe that Keystone (Dexter) is the only manufacturer with trailers utilizing this single leaf spring suspension setup. Because it's Sunday on a Holiday weekend, I'm unable to contact any local axle shops near me. If anyone has an idea of how to acquire this single leaf spring (outside of ordering it from Keystone), I'm all ears.

This is the OEM mono-leaf spring I need to source:

http://www.trekwood.com/products/943...30E-1750-3500-

Old 09-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #11
66joej

Have you checked with a company in the US called SD Springs. Large outfit with warehouses across the country. They may have the single leaf type.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems like there are two issues going on.

First is a broken spring on a trailer about 50 miles from home
Second is difficulty finding the correct part to make a permanent repair.

You might consider a temporary repair using the available spring by finding a welding shop to repair it for a 50 mile one way trip, finding a replacement spring that will fit and support the trailer for a "one time trip" to get it out of the campground, leaving the trailer in place (maybe not on the site, but in the campground) until the correct part is available for a permanent repair.

Of the options available, if it were me, I'd first try a local welding shop, repair the existing spring, install it and tow the trailer home using "back roads and slow speed". I'd also install the spare tire on that hub in an attempt to protect the "good tire" from any misalignment that might occur.

If I could not locate a welding shop to make the "TEMPORARY" repair for a "one way trip" my next option would be to locate "any spring that fits" so I could drag the trailer home and then deal with a permanent repair once the "immediate issue" is resolved.

If you were 1000 miles from home, I probably would not suggest a temporary repair, but in this situation:

Monday I'd take the family home, return after the welder fixed the spring, install it, call the DW and let her know the "trip from hell is getting underway" and keep her informed as you tow home at 30 MPH on the back roads.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #13
busterbrown

Removed the leaf spring and measured it eye to eye unsprung. It's 30.5". Thought I could buy an in-stock 25" 3 leaf spring from Tractor supply and be on my way slowly. Nope. Now, its either what John suggested andhave it welded or wait til Tuesday and hopefully find a trailer axle and suspension shop who has one in stock. I know of a welder who could do it if I brought it to him. but I'm afraid that welding a leaf won't get me more than a few feet. The results I've read online for this type of weld are discouraging. Labor day vacation is now defunct.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I would not suggest welding "at the break" and attempting to travel. You're right, it would probably snap at the first pothole, something that Michigan's downstate roads are famous for.....

What I'd do is lay a sandwich of 1/4" steel the width of the spring bar, on each side of the break, weld the three together (about 5-6" on each side of the break) to build an abutment. That won't break (it may bend, but won't break) on a 50 mile "slow tow"... It'll get you home or to your storage yard, then, at your leisure you can decide whether to replace the single spring, upgrade the suspension to multi-leaf springs or remove/replace the both axles and the springs.

The objective, at least the way I see it, is to first vacate the campsite and get the trailer to its permanent storage site or to a repair facility.

Seems to me a "make do repair" or a crutch would be the least painful method to move it a short distance.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #15
busterbrown

Ok John. Was able to cut and prep some 10 and 8 inch steel strips. Might be able to weld a couple side pieces to "box" in the sandwich. On my way over to get it all welded up. Hope this bandaid works. And bandaid at best... Thanks for the the feedback.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_172820.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	18363

Old 09-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

That's exactly the way I'd "rig a temp fix".... You might need longer U-bolts based on where the break occurred, but those are readily available at Tractor Supply. I'm NOT a welder (have all the equipment and melt metal as a hobby) and what I'd do is lay a bead on each "added support edge" tying the 4 welds to the original spring. That will provide a "pocket" for the original spring.

REMEMBER: The steel in your repair is not tempered and it will bend (not flex) so it's going to have a limited lifetime. I'd believe that life will be well beyond the "one way trip home".... I'd trust it, but not beyond reason.....

GOOD LUCK !!!!!

ADDED: After studying your photo longer, I'd question whether the "bandaid" metal is thick enough? It looks like it might be 1/8" thick ?? I don't know and can't tell, but I'd guess your spring is around 5/8" thick? As above, it'll get you home, provided the two support strips don't bend. If it's just the angle of the photo and those strips are around 1/4" thick, you should be good to go without any worry. Again, good luck !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's exactly the way I'd "rig a temp fix".... You might need longer U-bolts based on where the break occurred, but those are readily available at Tractor Supply. I'm NOT a welder (have all the equipment and melt metal as a hobby) and what I'd do is lay a bead on each "added support edge" tying the 4 welds to the original spring. That will provide a "pocket" for the original spring.

REMEMBER: The steel in your repair is not tempered and it will bend (not flex) so it's going to have a limited lifetime. I'd believe that life will be well beyond the "one way trip home".... I'd trust it, but not beyond reason.....

GOOD LUCK !!!!!

ADDED: After studying your photo longer, I'd question whether the "bandaid" metal is thick enough? It looks like it might be 1/8" thick ?? I don't know and can't tell, but I'd guess your spring is around 5/8" thick? As above, it'll get you home, provided the two support strips don't bend. If it's just the angle of the photo and those strips are around 1/4" thick, you should be good to go without any worry. Again, good luck !!!
Worked like a charm. Took it over to my dad's house as he is a retired skill trades welder. He laid down some thick welds along all the perimeter edges of both plates. Said the heat was good, the welds solid, and said there wasn't a need to add side plates. Thinking about it longer and too much material could have changed the dynamics with the other leaf spring and put excessive stress on the hangers.

Also, the plates were 1/4" thick and 1.5" wide. The thickest part of the leaf spring was between 5/8" and 3/4". So good observation on your end, John.

The U-bolts were long enough, thank god. At 7pm on Sunday if they hadn't been would have meant another round trip and a delay in getting the trailer home.

So it all went together uneventfully. Took about 20 minutes to reassemble everything. The wife drove behind the trailer with hazards on as I kept my speeds around 40 mph. Stayed off the interstate and used asphalt city roads. Wife had a clear view of the under-carriage during the hour trip home. It's now parked safely in front of the house waiting on the new leaf spring. I'll order that Tuesday.

Again, thanks for everyone's help, especially John's. No kudos given to Keystone as I think the suspension components (just like tires) should be given some "reserve capacity". 3,500 lb axles and mono leaf springs are barely adequate when unloaded and new. Add a few seasons of use and load up close to the trailer's 7,600 lb GVWR and owners are just begging for a broken spring or bent axle. I'm just glad it happened within an hour of my home and at low speeds in a campground. Breaking a spring at highway speeds, 2000 miles away from home can't be any more fun, right?

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	18366

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	18367

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	18368

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	18369

Old 09-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

GOOD DEAL !!! I'm glad you got it home without further problems.

Now comes the easy part: Opening the wallet, pulling out a credit card and buying replacement parts....

The hard part: Deciding which repair process to use, OEM replacement, upgrade to multispring suspension or upgrade to heavier axles on both positions. Your money, your time, your trailer, but I'd choose an improvement rather than OEM, even to "finish out the summer".....

Keep us in the loop, no doubt that someone else will wind up with the same type problem "down the road".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
Nonrev59

Not an owner yet but no warranty covers a (to me) new 2017 trailers leaf spring? That seems crazy to me if not overloaded that should break like that.
Nonrev59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonrev59 View Post
Not an owner yet but no warranty covers a (to me) new 2017 trailers leaf spring? That seems crazy to me if not overloaded that should break like that.
There is a warranty, but its value may or may not benefit the owner. You can read the Lippert Axle Warranty here: https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...2017_FINAL.pdf

Although the spring is warrantied for 6 years, that is only for parts. Any and all costs to install, remove, repair are the responsibility of the owner. In the exclusions is a comment that any modification will render the warranty void. I'm not suggesting that Lippert will "void the warranty" because the owner, in this situation, had to weld his spring to tow the unit home. Lippert may overlook that or they may not. In any case, even if they do warranty the spring, the only "warranty provision" is that they will send him a new spring "IF" the old one is determined to have been defective in normal use.

So, is there a warranty? Yes, for 6 years. Does it cover fixing a broken spring on a 3 day weekend during the middle of a camping trip? NOPE.... Will Lippert send the owner a new spring? Probably, subject to their determination of how it broke, if they overlook that it was welded as a repair after it broke.

Right now, if I'm guessing correctly, the owner has not yet determined if he will replace the spring, upgrade to multi-leaf springs on the current axles or use this opportunity to upgrade to heavier axles and multi-leaf springs, improving his overall suspension capacity.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
axle