Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 03:08 AM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

Question Receiving mailed items on the road?

We are currently travelling and need to order stuff online and have it sent somewhere. Without using a permanent address, how do people get packages delivered?
Will CGs accept things for travellers? Do you get items deliverd to a post office?
What other options are there besides "click and collect"? Some of the things we need delivered can't be "click and collected", like our license tags from Montana, while we're on the East coast.
Ideas?
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:58 AM   #2
Harleydodge

I do not know from personal experience, but I will say that in one park we visited in Florida last winter, we happened to be in the office at the same time as the UPS guy.
I'm pretty sure the WHOLE load was destined for that campground. The poor guy made several trips back and forth to the truck with a dolly loaded to the hilt with packages.
I know it made me go "Hmmm", as I too order a lot of stuff online.

As far as your license tags and any other important items you will receive at home, you could have someone you trust there forward them to you, or you could have all your mail forwarded to a particular place/places if you want. I am pretty sure it can all be done online as well.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
jsmith948

I had occasion to be in our local "UPS Store" to send our faulty Furion back. I noticed a sign advertising postal boxes with "a physical address". It would seem to me that you could receive items that can normally only be sent to physical addresses there. I have no idea as to how you would arrange that. I would imagine you could stop in at a UPS Store wherever you are and make arrangements to have something delivered to wherever you are going to be?
Just thinking out loud

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:25 AM   #4
66joej

Have stayed at many RV parks over the years and all have received parcels for us. Sometimes the delivery is right to your campsite. Never had a problem. On the tags you may want to choose a courier.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
notanlines

I will reiterate what was said earlier by other posters: We have never stayed in ANY RV park where we couldn't receive mail. Our new camera just arrived by FedEx Friday. FedEx sent an email when and where it was left. Easy-peasy!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I would make a note here;

We go and stay for several months at one location in the winter. I have tried twice to have my mail forwarded by USPS. Both times were a miserable fail and resulted in considerable "lost" mail or delayed by up to a month or two. When I asked initially at the receiving post office to do it she was hesitant and said we could have issues.....we did. The 2nd time I initiated the forwarding at my home post office prior to leaving to hopefully make it easier. The lady there just looked at me and told me "this is a bad idea"; we did it anyway and.....it was a bad idea. Now, I just have our home post office hold our mail; months and months. Everything owed is drafted so we don't get really critical mail. I have the USPS service that scans our mail daily so I know if I get something unexpected and can call whoever it is. As far as getting tags or something of that nature; I would have the sender FedEx or UPS it to me. We've never had a problem with either service at a campground.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
bobbecky

We full time and always are able to get our mail forwarded to us from our mail service, America’s Mailbox, in South Dakota. If we order from Amazon, they will deliver by any of three ways to wherever we are. America’s Mailbox offers their service also for seasonal travelers too.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

We have had UPS/FedEx deliver packages to a campground and have never had any problems in getting them.

That said, I DO NOT order anything for delivery unless I have discussed it with the campground management first !!!!!

I would never consider making reservations for October at a campground in Gulfport, MS and ordering something from Amazon to be delivered while we were on the way to the campground, had not checked in and had not coordinated the delivery with the campground.

It would be very simple (and my luck) to order something, have it delivered and refused by the campground because "that person is not a resident here".....

So, use some "common sense" in what/when you order and make sure to monitor it online (UPS/FedEx both have delivery updates) and when it's scheduled for delivery, a quick trip to the campground office to remind them that "tomorrow, I'm expecting a package".....

Don't take it for granted that the campground knows every resident, every future resident and everyone who might stop by to see if there's a vacancy..... I know, I know, but there are RV'ers with that mentality.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 AM   #9
RoscoeV

If you use Amazon you can have them ship it to the closest Amazon Locker, otherwise if you are having something shipped UPS you can have it shipped to the local UPS Store and with FedEx have it shipped and held at one of their FedEx print centers.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
travelin texans

The USPS does not/will not forward mail. With that being said if you live in a small rural community & know the postal employees you might be able to get it done.
We've had a UPS mailbox for the last 7-8 years, our address is the UPS store that's considered a "physical address" by everyone except voter registration. We call the store & give them an address, whether it be a park/campground/mailbox, they pack it up & send it however we choose, USPS or UPS, whichever is cheapest. Have never had an issue with any park accepting our mail, but as previously mentioned have always check beforehand with the park office.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The USPS does not/will not forward mail. ....
Not sure which USPS you're referring to, but according to this link and my many moves while in the Air Force, the post office (USPS) regularly forwards mail as a part of their delivery service. Minimum time is 15 days and maximum time is 6 months which can be renewed for one 6 month extension for a total of 1 year of "free" forwarding service by USPS.

The USPS also will hold mail for a period up to one month. At the end of that month they no longer will hold it and will deliver it to the address shown. That usually works for people who go on vacation and will be away from home for 2 or 3 weeks.

As for mail forwarding, we use the service when we go south for the winter, last time was 2 months in south Texas and we had our mail delivered to "General Delivery" in the town we were headed to for the duration of the trip. I will freely admit that getting our mail forwarding service "stopped" was not a reliable event. It seemed that even though it was managed at the local post office, the distribution center in the next largest town (somehow) kept forwarding mail for a couple weeks after the stop order was received. That led to some significantly delayed mail. Honestly, we still aren't sure if everything was accounted for, but we really don't have any "can't live without it" mail, so it wasn't a problem.

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
notanlines

As John said, the post office most certainly will forward your mail. They have a number of different programs; NONE of which works. I wrote a message to Danny awhile back concerning the post office, part of which reads "Never have so many been paid so much to accomplish so little."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #13
Freeheel4life

I haven't done this in a couple years but there is probably one other option...

Most USPS offices will hold packages addressed as simply General Delivery. This is how I have sent myself resupply boxes while doing long distance hikes. I usually call ahead and verify that the office will accept parcels/letters sent "General Delivery". Upon arrival they simply ask for photo ID and procure my package. Never had a box not show up or get sent back, though I believe there is a time limit on how long they will hold it.
So an example of how to address
John Q. Smith
General Delivery
Town Name, ST Zipcode

All the places I have needed resupplied are towns with only one post office, not sure how this would be handled if you were in a city with more than one PO
Old 06-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
ken56

No matter if you have the bills paid automatically there may be other issues. The very week we left for a 10 week trip I got a jury duty summons. The post office was holding my mail and after 30 days delivered it to my house where my neighbor and good friends picked it up and brought it down to Alabama where we met up for a week with them. I called the court clerk and explained that I was not in town and had just gotten my mail. They were very understanding.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
No matter if you have the bills paid automatically there may be other issues. The very week we left for a 10 week trip I got a jury duty summons. The post office was holding my mail and after 30 days delivered it to my house where my neighbor and good friends picked it up and brought it down to Alabama where we met up for a week with them. I called the court clerk and explained that I was not in town and had just gotten my mail. They were very understanding.

You have to know what is coming your way; hence the daily scan of our mail sent to us via email. I too have had jury summons, vehicle registration etc. that just come in per happenstance. The view of the mail lets me take care of those "non recurring" situations.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #16
crrscott

Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
We are currently travelling and need to order stuff online and have it sent somewhere. Without using a permanent address, how do people get packages delivered?
Will CGs accept things for travellers? Do you get items deliverd to a post office?
What other options are there besides "click and collect"? Some of the things we need delivered can't be "click and collected", like our license tags from Montana, while we're on the East coast.
Ideas?
I run a snowbird business and one of my services is forwarding mail. Have everything shipped home then have someone ship it to you at the destination of your choice.
crrscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #17
CaptnJohn

Never ever had a problem with USPS forwarding my mail for up to a year. It may take a week - 10 days to get from my PO to the new address but nothing ever lost or a problem.
All my meds come by mail- even forwarded no problem except ~~ except one sent UPS that requires a signature by someone over 21. In the past these were shipped USPS certified and they would be forwarded and if not home you went to the PO to pick them up after signing. Now I have them delivered to a friend that puts them in the mail 1st class to me when on the road.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #18
Steve/

If we are going to be gone for more than 2 weeks we have our mail forward to a friend that take care of it. But there is a problem with that as a lot of important stuff is marked "DO NOT FORWARD" from the sender. So like lic plate renewal is not forwarded, credit cards are not forwarded, there is some other stuff that I can not think of. We have had some bills not forwarded. When we are only gone for a week or two we have a neighbor that will pick it up. If you are full time or long term, the best seem to be a street address, that you make as you home address, in your home state that will forward your mail. If you have a friend forwarding your mail get them some odd color envelopes to use so they are easy to spot in an RV office.
As other have said get as much as possibly done by e-mail. When we were doing long term. Our friend open all our mail and then scan any that we need to read and attaches them to an e-mail. The friend was also a signature to our checking account ( not an owner ) .
Old 07-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #19
FlyingAroundRV

Thanks one and all for your help and suggestions. Currently we are having some stuff sent to a UPS store where we will be. I'll report back how it turns out. One of the things being sent is a set of side steps for our truck. That will be a sizeable parcel, which the UPS people assure me they can handle.
I'll let you know.
Thanks again for the help. These forums have been very useful for avoiding newbie mistakes and also for getting things done.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #20
johnlewis

We are members of Escapees and we use their mail service, so we have our USPS mail forwarded to our Escapees address in Livingston, TX. Escapees then forwards mail to us where we designate.
When we order something that is shipped by USPS, we have it sent to "General Delivery" at a post office close to where we are staying. You can check the USPS.com website, to find out what post offices offer General Delivery service. Not all do. Allow plenty of time (7 to 10 days) for the item to be delivered to the post office you select. This seems to be a low priority service for USPS, so delivery is slow.
We have had many items shipped by UPS of FedEx to a park where we are staying. I ALWAYS call ahead and see if it is OK to ship to the park. We have had items arrive at the park before we did, but because we checked first, they hold them for us. We have had many items shipped to state or city parks. Most of them will tell you that they will accept shipments from UPS or FedEx. We have found some that won't accept mail forwarded by USPS. Who knows why.
We are Amazon Prime members, so knowing that an item will arrive 2 days after you order it makes it easier, since you have a definite time frame for delivery.
Again, I always ask a park (private, state, city or county) if it is OK to ship items BEFORE I order.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led