Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #21
Gegrad

Thanks John, and I am not even the least bit surprised to hear this. Does not shock me at all with the warranty stories we hear on here all the time. Oh well, at least I can lower the odds of a problem in the first place with regular cleaning and sealing.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Regular cleaning and resealing is the "key" to a long roof life. That and not driving under limbs

As for DICOR sealant vs Alpha Systems sealant. Until about 18 months ago, DICOR was the recommended sealant for TPO roofing membranes. That's about the time that AS came out with their sealant line.... Coincidence??? Hmmmm

As for why I use DICOR, it's readily available in our local RV store for $6 a tube. I know it's fresh, I don't need to wait for Amazon to deliver it and if I run out, it's a quick trip to town to get more.... If they stocked AS sealants rather than DICOR, I'd probably use AS.... I'm sure AS sealant is "just as good" and "they say it's their preferred sealant for their roofs".... Just like Ford says, "Use Motorcraft", Chrysler says, "Use MOPAR" and GM says, "Use AC Delco".... And, even Polaris is in on that game, "Use genuine Polaris products in your new Slingshot".... So goes the owner's manual.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

We have both, the AS is “upstairs”, and since we haven’t had any failures/comebacks it’s just as easy to grab the Dicor. Been using it for so long I know the P/N is 13-1315 for white self leveling.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #24
BamaRam

I found a couple of bubbles in the sealant along the back edge of the roof where it meets the siding. One has a crack in top of the bubble, looks like there could be screw there. I mashed on it and a little water came out (afternoon thundershowers).

Seems like I need to cut the top off the bubble and reseal. Eh?

A since we're on the topic, this is what alpha says.

RECOMMENDED REPAIR METHOD FOR ALPHA SYSTEMS
ROOF SEALANT

During routine cleaning (3-4 times a year), all caulk and sealants should be inspected for voids or cracking. If the caulk is cracking, pull up any loose caulk. Do not use any tools, such as a putty knife, that could puncture the rubber roof membrane. If you cannot pull the caulk off by hand, it is still adhered to the roof and should be left alone.

Clean the areas to be re-sealed using regular soap and water. The area must be dry before continuing.

Apply a generous amount of Alpha Systems 1010 Sealant over the top of any existing caulk in the area being re-sealed.

To order products now, call 800-462-4698. Please allow 3-5 business days before product ships from our facility. Shipping charges will be added to your order.

Solvents should not be used during cleaning. Solvents can damage existing caulk and may weaken plastic parts that are present on the roof.

On another note, the membrane appears to be loose around several fittings and seams where the sealant has been applied. Maybe the wrong sealant caused this??
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #25
SC Dreamer

I have read where sometimes not enough adhesive was used on original installation can cause the adhesion issues like bubbles. I found this article and thought it was very informative https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #26
ChuckS

If that was my roof I’d clean off that area and reseal all the way across with dicor self leveling. Then you know what you’ve got ... a good seal

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
BamaRam

I'll use the Dicor.

All of this makes my head hurt. I've learned a lot though.

One thing I took note of is that the Proflex (that I picked up as a "just in case I need it" at the RV store before I found the seam) says on the tube not to use on styrofoam or EDPM. On the website it says not to use styrofoam, EDPM, or TPO. I don't plan on using on the roof at all.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #28
slow

Is this front cap sealed correctly?

A few years ago I spoke with the Alpha service department and they said Dicor is ok to use on their tpo. But the word of caution was that I should limit the amount of Dicor on the tpo since it would lift the tpo off the adhesive as it set up. I suspect Keystone used Dicor on my roof and that is why I have the tpo lifting along the caulking.

Dicor is readily available so that is what I use for touch ups and when I installed a new power roof vent.

Also a week after I bought our TT, I too applied Dicor as you plan on the front roof seam. On our fifth season now. No issues doing so (yet).
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led