Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2016, 04:33 AM   #1

Hershey tips and tricks

Heading to Hershey park campground. First time. Have heard lots of horror stories. So far the the desk help has been a nightmare. We have three sites in carousel D 222,223,224 I think. Office charged all three to same card then refunded then charged all three to buddies card then refunded then charge again etc etc. total mess. They don't care they just want money and there's no refunds. Also price is outrageous. Willing to deal with all this, we are all friends so the charges are easily straitened out. Have no idea how it happened. They are completely incompetent I guess. Anyhow. We're going, and braving the horrible customer service and bad reviews because we have lots of little kids 6x 3-11year olds. So the Hershey convince was a necessity. Don't wanna drive to park. Like he idea of being able to split up and head back for naps, snacks, unforeseen accidents etc. So..... Anyone have any good tips or suggestions on this place. Discounts, coupons , secret deals etc. also are sites carousel pull thru. We're arriving late. Any help or tips appreciated. I'll give a full review after our trip.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
GaryWT

We have camped there once and really liked it, about 4 years ago. Yes the sites are tight but the area you are in are all pull through sites. We were in site 231 or that general area. Behind the trailer and across the street they let us park the truck on the grass which gave us a little room. Depending on where your fire pit is, it could be hard to have a fire. The transportation was the best, walked over, jumped on the bus and they drop you off at a great location, come and go as you wish, well worth the cost to get this feature. Used the pools one day and enjoyed them. People complain about the train but in the area we were in we could hardly hear it and at night with the AC on, heard nothing. Once of the best things we did was we bought our tickets to the park at the campground which included free entry the first night we used the tickets with and after 3 or so entry time. This was great, as guests of Hershey we were able to by pass hundreds of people and go to the front of the line to get in and take advantage of the park for a number of hours. Probably would not have gone if we had to stand in the line but we told workers we were gusts of the campground and they directed up right to the gate and into the park, well worth it.

We had such a great time at the park and the campground we are afraid to re-book as we don't want it to be a letdown.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
gearhead

Help me out here. What's happening in Hershey??? Assume this is Hershey PA??
I've heard there is a big hot rod swap meet??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #4
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
Heading to Hershey park campground. First time. Have heard lots of horror stories. So far the the desk help has been a nightmare. We have three sites in carousel D 222,223,224 I think. Office charged all three to same card then refunded then charged all three to buddies card then refunded then charge again etc etc. total mess. They don't care they just want money and there's no refunds. Also price is outrageous. Willing to deal with all this, we are all friends so the charges are easily straitened out. Have no idea how it happened. They are completely incompetent I guess. Anyhow. We're going, and braving the horrible customer service and bad reviews because we have lots of little kids 6x 3-11year olds. So the Hershey convince was a necessity. Don't wanna drive to park. Like he idea of being able to split up and head back for naps, snacks, unforeseen accidents etc. So..... Anyone have any good tips or suggestions on this place. Discounts, coupons , secret deals etc. also are sites carousel pull thru. We're arriving late. Any help or tips appreciated. I'll give a full review after our trip.

If it is the same CG, many many (40 or so) years ago it was a private CG. We were in a tent camper and I remember well the sound of the freight trains coming by all night. The trains were right behind the tree line we were camping against. Hopefully the trains don't still run at night.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Nagrompj

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Help me out here. What's happening in Hershey??? Assume this is Hershey PA??
I've heard there is a big hot rod swap meet??
Yep! Every year.
I'm not sure of the date. It's been a long time since I went but I think it's called Nats East as in "nationals east"
Hershey's Foods is one of my customers (worked there today) but I don't pay much attention to the park.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
denverpilot

And here I thought someone was asking how to gather and use the correct ingredients for S'mores.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
And here I thought someone was asking how to gather and use the correct ingredients for S'mores.

We could go a long time on that subject too. [emoji28]
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
Newman252

Following. We have 4 days booked there in June. Not really my kind of camping but it's for the kids. I've read that spots are tight. We have an end spot so hopefully that helps. May be a curse too. Have to navigate through campground which I read is also tight to drive through. Some complain about a train but we are on the far side at the end of the loop. I'm concerned about the highway traffic noise more than the train. We are used to train traffic so that won't bother us. My reservation process went without problems. Then again I was only booking for one family. When are you going? Keep us posted how the trip goes Id like to hear your review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newman252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #9

We're headed out Thursday. Have 2 34' ish fivers, mine and a buddies Grand Design 323BHS, and a Jayco 32BHDS TT. So we should be pushing the size limits. We will see how it goes. Stay tuned.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #10

Ok. First half of review for anyone interested. It's RAINING. Campground is nice, and very clean. Good staff and security. Store is very nice and has just about everything. Food, snacks RV /camping supplies and lots more. Great store actually. I hate when campgrounds don't have a nice store. I somehow always forget something. Campsites are level and gravel. Grass areas around. Easy pull thru in the carousel loops. We got in Thursday so obviously easier because not to crowded. Campsites are however just big enough. Truck and trailer and not much else. They have you pretty packed in. So if you like lots of space maybe not for you. With the rain we did the Hershey chocolate world thing today. It's fun and good for all ages. We did the package deal. Chocolate tasting, make your own chocolate bar, 4d movie , and trolley tour of Hershey. Trolly is horrible. Save your money and time. Total torture. The rest was great. More to follow tomorrow. Weather is suposto improve and were hitting the park in the am. Also train does go thru allot. It's a freight train. You can hear it but it doesn't blow the horn and I don't really see it as any problem. About 90% of the reviews complain about this. I don't get it. It's there, but I hardly even noticed it after the first few times.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #11

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 05-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
Newman252

Hershey tips and tricks

Did you buy this package at the campground? We are planning on 2 days at the park because it does take two days according to some. Though we may be able to go through faster because my kids are only 8 & 3. We would like to do the chocolate world thing, too. I'm just not sure if they sell the packages there. I know they sell park passes that are about $16 cheaper than gate prices. From what I'm told. If there is packages that's sounds like the way to go.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #13

We did chocolate world only because it was raining. There is a package deal at chocolate world. No campground discount on that one, but it includes all the chocolate world stuff. I honestly would skip it and do 2 days at the park if weather permits. Def skip the trolley ride. It was literally torture for the kids. I majored in History and even I found it torturous, got a way better tour on the shuttle from the campground to the park the second day. Park is great. Super clean, as is everything Hershey from what we saw. Campground store has deals on park passes. We will be making Hershey part of our rotation from now on. Kids had a blast!!!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
Newman252

Oh the package for chocolate world! I see now. Good to know. We still would like to do chocolate world but we were planning on doing the park for 2 days and we only booked 3 nights. How long did chocolate world take minus the trolley? I'm sure my kids will wanna do the make your own bar. I'll take your advice and skip the trolley.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
Newman252

I'd ask more about the campground but we really are only planning on sleeping there and not much else.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #16

Do the make your own bar and 3D movie. Kids will like those. You can prob bang that out in 1-2 hrs. They do everything on a time slot so go there first and get early time slots. Then hit the park. Ride the shuttle from campground. They say it runs every 30-40 mins but it was much quicker, It drops you off Rt between the choc world and main park so no hassle and parking fees. And you get a quick tour on the way. Campground has everything you would need. Easy driving around, flat sites, clean and all the usual amenities.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #17
Newman252

Thanks. Sounds like I'll plan on doing chocolate world the 2nd day early then go back to the park. Hopefully the weather is nice so the kids can do all the water stuff.
We are only planning on taking breakfast and snack stuff then eating at the park. So we don't have to go back and forth. Thanks again for the info

Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #18
Newman252

My parents and my aunt & uncle are staying at the campground during the RV show. My aunt & uncle do every year. My parents bought their TT at the show last year as did I. I just didn't book it although we are planning on going again not to look at campers but the gadgets and other campground booths. I also wanna check out the fancy class A's.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #19
rsl

Just be carful if you are on the hilltop loops. They are very uneven front to back and left to right, make sure you have plenty of leveling boards and blocks. Also keep a close eye on your rear stabilizers when going in and out of those spaces because the road is high angle and sites are high angle leaving the back of the trailer close to or dragging the ground.
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:57 PM   #20
Newman252

Well we are at Hershey. Got here onMonday around 4:30. Bought 2 day passes for the park at the campground office for Tues & Weds. That gave us a free 3 hr preview Monday night. We took advantage and knocked a chunk of the park out. It's now Tues. we used our "Sweet Start" pass to get in the park an hour earlier than opening time. Wasn't really worth it cause the areas past what we hit the previous day's were closed off. So we got some rides again. There were almost no lines on Monday night so the one hour early access did not really provide much cause there was still no lines. Some rides my kids were the only person on it.
We went to Chocolate World around 4:30 to take a little break cause everyone was getting tired. Wanted to let my kids do the make your own chocolate bar but we had to pay just to go with them. It was almost $16/person. $64 for 4 candy bars? No thanks! We went back hit a few more rides then returned to the campground, made a fire and ate mountain pies and roasted Starburst.
Tomorrow we hit the rest of the park including the water park.