Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDuck View Post
LOVE IT! Couldn't agree more with you all. A big part of why we got the RV; get our kids (and ourselves too) off the screens and outside camping year round. Rain or shine! I personally love camping in inclement weather, which an RV allows us to do in style. And really appreciate the tips/tricks to help us do just this, while not completely destroying our RV in the process

On that note - how about wet slides... Do you attempt to dry them prior to pulling into the rig? Try to dry them once pulled into the rig? Leave 'em be? Saw online somewhere that someone uses a squeegee prior to pulling in; thought that might be a good idea...
If it is pouring, and you can't wait, there's not much you can do but pull them in. If I have to do that DW is inside to dry them down as much as possible. We carry extension poles, Swiffer handles etc. She/we wipe down the edges where we can reach then wrap a towel around the attachment on the end of the pole and swab down the middle of the slides as best we can (using a stool). We just don't want a lake inside from the water draining. The seals do a really good job of wiping off the majority of the water, actually to a point that rubbing them down inside is sometimes a little overboard.

If it has stopped raining a squeegee would work just fine I would think.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #22
rhagfo

Something to think about, in the PNW rain doesn’t always come with wind. We have a manual awning, we tag it down with ratchet straps, leave out most of the time. Ours is 21’ and use three straps one at each end and one in the middle. The one in the middle is hooked through two of the fabric light hanger tabs. So far so good.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Something to think about, in the PNW rain doesn’t always come with wind. We have a manual awning, we tag it down with ratchet straps, leave out most of the time. Ours is 21’ and use three straps one at each end and one in the middle. The one in the middle is hooked through two of the fabric light hanger tabs. So far so good.
We love the rainstorms that just "rain" - so peaceful and nice. Here in W TX you can see it coming by the wall of dirt in front of it. After it cakes everything in dirt then we might see a shower just so it can spit some mudballs at us. Our house in the mountains is like you describe - just rain, and we love it.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If it is pouring, and you can't wait, there's not much you can do but pull them in. If I have to do that DW is inside to dry them down as much as possible. We carry extension poles, Swiffer handles etc. She/we wipe down the edges where we can reach then wrap a towel around the attachment on the end of the pole and swab down the middle of the slides as best we can (using a stool). We just don't want a lake inside from the water draining. The seals do a really good job of wiping off the majority of the water, actually to a point that rubbing them down inside is sometimes a little overboard.

If it has stopped raining a squeegee would work just fine I would think.
The amount of water that comes in past the wiper seals isn't enough to be bothered with. We bought our current in the rain, when we pulled in the slides all water went outside, and the surfaces were hardly damp.
Now that we have slide toppers not an issue.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The amount of water that comes in past the wiper seals isn't enough to be bothered with. We bought our current in the rain, when we pulled in the slides all water went outside, and the surfaces were hardly damp.
Now that we have slide toppers not an issue.
I agree, and as I said, what was left was not a lot and drying them inside was pretty much overkill. Slide toppers? To each their own - more downsides than ups to me but that is JMO.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #26
rauman84341

I've owned several fifth wheels over the years and camp most of the time near Yellowstone Park, there is always lots of pine needles rain and dirt. The first thing I add when I buy a new trailer are awing covers for all the slides, each time I roll them in I'm amazed at the amount of pine cones, needles, and rain that will come off them. Sometimes early or late in the season, it will snow and again the slide overs really help.
For rainy days we always have our favorite activities such as playing cards, games and generally laying around, but it doesn't hurt to put on the proper gear and get out of the trailer. A lot of time the rain and wind is light so letting the awing out and sitting under it also works.
rauman84341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 AM   #27
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Rain = time to go shopping or visit a winery!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #28
mikell

For me my job supplies an unlimited supply of free clean rags and I get as many as I want (Think testing washers and dryers) so I carry many and just pitch them in the fire when dirty. But everything gets wiped off rain or shine before it gets stowed.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote