Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2018, 04:45 AM   #1
hdrolling

Gas cap housing rusting.

One of my Gas cap fuel neck housing is rusting pretty bad and it looks like crap.

Anyone replaced these with some type of housing that has a door to keep the water from settling in there?

I've debated if I should remove it and try to sand it down and then paint it maybe but since it's where the fuel goes in I don't know how well it would hold up?

Any leads on where to maybe get a replacement? Not sure the actual name of the part.

I'm asking about the outside housing that the fuel cap sit's in, hope i'm explaining it correctly.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you can take it off, you might consider powder coating it. There are formulas
That are fluid resistant.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you can take it off, you might consider powder coating it. There are formulas
That are fluid resistant.
Thanks that's a good idea, I might try to get both done even though only one is showing signs of rust.

The way they are made water collects in there no matter what was why I was wondering if anyone installed one with a door to keep the weather out.

Retired Army, 22yrs
Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
AbHDToyHauler

Both of mine looked nasty too. I removed (took 10 minutes to get both off) quick sanded and painted with Tremclad Flat black AntiRust. Put back on within an hour. Used new stainless screws and it looks great now. If it comes back , well i'ts an easy fix.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Both of mine looked nasty too. I removed (took 10 minutes to get both off) quick sanded and painted with Tremclad Flat black AntiRust. Put back on within an hour. Used new stainless screws and it looks great now. If it comes back , well i'ts an easy fix.
That might be the quick fix so we can keep going on our trips this summer, and then this winter get them done a little more permanent.

Retired Army, 22yrs

Tags
gas