Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
ClockDr

Full timing in a High Country

Considering purchasing a Montana High Country 345rl to travel the US and full time in. Is the quality good enough to hold up or should I upgrade? Thanks.
ClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I've met people who could destroy a steel ball bearing in 10 minutes and people who still have their grandmother's painted eggshell completely undamaged......

That said, If you take care of it, perform maintenance and inspections regularly, it should be a comfortable home away from home. Sure, there are other brands that cost significantly more and offer more comfort/durability. There are some that cost significantly more and don't offer anything you aren't getting in a Montana High Country.

You might want to compare the Montana construction/options to those in the Montana High Country. There are some significant differences in how they are built and what you can get in the way of optional equipment. Solid floor vs laminated subfloor with foam in the center is one example. There are many other differences. Some may not matter to you, others may be something you want to consider. It all depends on what you prefer and what you want.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
gearhead

Since we have a Montana HC I'll say....you could do better. It appears to me Keystone, and particularly dealers, are trying to blur the differences between Montana and Montana HC. True in the last couple years some of the components of the HC have been upgraded. But just me being cynical, I think the dealers are marketing the HC as a Montana with a lower price and glossing over what the differences are.
If I had it to do all over again, for the same money, I would be looking for a lightly used higher end 5th that was designed as a full time unit. Names that come to mind...DRV, Landmark, Montana, Alpine, maybe Dynamax. Not that you won't have issues...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
gearhead

Get this one before I do...
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...k-365_rv-38386
Or:
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...ilogy_rv-38361
Old 06-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
gearhead

Page not found. try again..
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-r...dmark_rv-39150
Old 06-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post

Now see, go and get a DRW and you're shopping bigger RVs….and the circle never ends..! One thing I did notice on both of those with the links - no granite counter tops. Next go round that's what I want - and a lot of counter!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
travelin texans

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-renew-listing
Have I got a deal for you!!
Here's both for you, ready to go tomorrow!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Wow Danny, thanks for finding that....and SO quick!! I was thinking "this sure sounds familiar to what is in his signature" and then I thought.....hmmm, I think I recall him saying his was up for sale! Yep, same location! Nice play....and a nice rig, thanks for posting it. I'm not up for another one quite yet (although DW did say YESTERDAY that she figured a new one was in our pretty near future listening to me - and didn't yell) this may be right down Brent's alley, but I doubt he will want the truck.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #9
travelin texans

Can't be bashful! Got jump in when the opportunity presents itself!
Seriously, its been well maintained, no hidden problems I'm trying to unload, & lots of very beneficial upgrades. As I said ready to go tomorrow, if not sold we'll be taking it in a month or so.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #10
gearhead

Dang that's about what I'm looking for. I've looked at it before. A perfect example of what the OP could get for maybe just a little more than a new HC. Has all the good stuff..17.5" tires, disc brakes, and heavy duty suspension. Is it full body paint?
I will take a financial bath when, or if, I do a trade. Another reason for the OP to buy used. I've got to pull our 5th to PPL in Houston and see just how ugly it will be. I'm so upside down I could cry. LOL
Old 06-12-2018, 04:33 AM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Now see, go and get a DRW and you're shopping bigger RVs….and the circle never ends..! One thing I did notice on both of those with the links - no granite counter tops. Next go round that's what I want - and a lot of counter!
Yeah the dually does give the flexibility to do "whatever". It's a big "if" if we trade. Financially speaking, just keeping what we have makes sense. But I've been told I have no sense.

Do y'all have granite at home? We have it everywhere. We both really like the looks, but Betty is always after me about spilling something on it. Yesterday it was juice from a fresh tomato I had just sliced. "It's very acidic, it'll stain the granite". Yeah, yeah, yeah. If it did you'd never see it with all the colors and irregular shapes. Other than that issue it's good stuff. I do use a razor blade to scrape the water deposits off around fawcetts regularly. Then re-coat with Dupont sealer.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yeah the dually does give the flexibility to do "whatever". It's a big "if" if we trade. Financially speaking, just keeping what we have makes sense. But I've been told I have no sense.

Do y'all have granite at home? We have it everywhere. We both really like the looks, but Betty is always after me about spilling something on it. Yesterday it was juice from a fresh tomato I had just sliced. "It's very acidic, it'll stain the granite". Yeah, yeah, yeah. If it did you'd never see it with all the colors and irregular shapes. Other than that issue it's good stuff. I do use a razor blade to scrape the water deposits off around fawcetts regularly. Then re-coat with Dupont sealer.
We do not. We are in the process of determining what we want for new countertops in our S&B and are between granite and quartz. I have remodeled/helped two houses for my daughter and we installed granite in both. One about 8 years ago. I like the indestructible nature, but, as you said, it can stain. On hers, after all these years you can't really tell it because of the way the stone looks so it's kind of a moot point.

In an RV I think it would be nice but adds a ton of weight (probably literally). When/if we upgrade they would be nice but I've not seen too many of them in RVs with the exception of $400k+ Class A's - but I've not looked real hard for them yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
travelin texans

Yes, it's full body paint & has quartz counters in the kitchen & bath.
Not bragging, but you'd have to add a lot of options to the HC to compare to mine for the price.
I wouldn't recommend trying to trade, it'll just make you sick.
Had a dealer offer $28k for mine on a trade, I was still laughing at him as the door closed behind me.
Don't think I'd ever buy new again, warranty is fairly worthless unless you want to leave it for 6 months for every 10 minute repair, & the gigantic depreciation as soon as you leave the lot.
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
Dave W

We have '14 High Country 343RL and for us, a great 5er. It has over 22,000 virtually major trouble free miles. But with that said, they are not built nor sold as a full time, four season RV. I don't believe even the 'standard' Montana is built that way though many use them that way. For full time, do some deep digging as there are many that will fill the full time bill better then a High Country. Look at Redwoods, maybe a DRV and if really cash flush, a New Horizons, used or new. One thing to remember is that whoever builds the basic box for living space, almost every brand uses the same appliances and most opt for a Lippert (LCI) frame. This means that you need to look at the quality of fit and finish of the box, with everything else being on a par with the least quality units
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #15
Old soldier
Gone Traveling

Cedar Creek or maybe a full Montana. The high country is a “Montana Light:”. Just returned home after 4 months in our 2018 HC. Noiw at CW over a month. Fulltimers need a really good quality camper. You can’t droip your home off at a dealer for a month!!!
Old soldier is offline   Reply With Quote