Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
kpadden

Electric/12 volt problem

Help please.
My coach 12v system is not working. 120vac works and when plugged in my coach 12v lights work, slide out works.
My son checked to see if the coach batteries were charging when plugged into 120vac, they are not.
Coach batteries are also not charging when the engine is running.
When disconnected from 120vac, batteries do not power anything.
Thought it might be the battery disconnect/latching relay. My son came over and hooked up a wire to the switched side of the solenoid. The solenoid and disconnect switch both work. So the problem is somewhere between the battery and the input to the solenoid.
Apparently the battery is not getting where it should.
I don't know if I am stating this clearly. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
kpadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Canonman

By any chance have you recently removed or had occasion to disconnect the batteries??
Is it possible they were reinstalled or reconnected with the polarity reversed?
There are two 40 amp fuses in the breaker panel to protect against this type of reversal.
That would be my first suggestion after the battery disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3843 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	16942  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Not charging while being hooked to the TV would rule out the reverse polarity fuses. I’m wondering if there is a fuse/ circuit breaker between the battery and the disconnect or the disconnect and the junction box.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
kpadden

My son just installed 2 new batteries, but this started happening before the new batteries were installed. We were dry camping and the batteries drained down completely and would not charge via engine or generator
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
kpadden

Chuckster57, please consider me challenged, could you possibly direct me to where I might find the fuses, circuit breakers, junction box may be located, so I cam check them out.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
bobbecky

This is just guessing, as you did not say what rig you have. There might be a 12 volt breaker near the batteries that may have failed, which would prevent the batteries from working and getting a charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auto-reset breaker.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	16947  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:03 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
This is just guessing, as you did not say what rig you have. There might be a 12 volt breaker near the batteries that may have failed, which would prevent the batteries from working and getting a charge.
These will be located on the A-frame probably in a red plastic protective case.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:39 AM   #8
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadden View Post
My son just installed 2 new batteries, but this started happening before the new batteries were installed. We were dry camping and the batteries drained down completely and would not charge via engine or generator
Ask your son if he knows/understands RV polarity. Until recently, the battery cables for RVs were black to positive and white to negative. Lots of folks have connected their batteries backwards because they think the black cable/terminal is negative (as in automotive applications). This has been corrected on many, newer RVs.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #9
kpadden

My motorhome is a class C 2009 Thor Chateau 25C.
To address the polarity issue, the new batteries were hooked up they way the old ones were, and the worked until whatever went wrong. Additionally, my son ran a lead directly from the battery to the latching relay in the convertor power panel and everything worked. I think this shows there is something "tripped" or a connection is broken in the original wiring between the battery and the power center. I just don't know where.
The picture of the circuit breaker earlier, is that re-settable?
Is there an A-frame on a class C?
Although I am sure my son checked all the fuses and circuit breakers in the power center, I will re-check them today between appointments. I will also look in the battery box for anything that I think might be a breaker or fuse.
I know I am long winded and challenged in knowing about these issues, but I am trying to provide all the information that has been gleaned in trouble shooting so far. Once again thank you.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Electric/12 volt problem

Your class C may have a solenoid for the battery cut off. If you can find its location, you could do some testing. There is probably a fuse for the charge relay somewhere too. Without having the unit sitting in front of me, it’s difficult at best to diagnose over the www. If memory serves correct, you should have an aux start. If so start the engine and then hold the aux start. With the aux start engaged test house battery voltage. If you have charge, then continue to charge for about 10 minutes. I think the charge solenoid uses the house battery and if it’s low enough it won’t “hold” the solenoid.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #11
kpadden

Chuckster57, We have found the coach battery cutoff solenoid, it is the latching relay (coach battery connect/Disconnect switch). It has (2) 5v fuses which are good. Thought that was the problem until my son ran the direct lead from the battery to this relay. With the direct lead, the relay solenoid worked. He tested the leads wired into the relay solenoid, there is no power from thebattery to the relay solonoid on the original connected leads.
I will be starting the motorhome today, I will try the coach battery assist when starting up. Do I need to hold the switch once it has started?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

The fuse that was illustrated would be mounted to the metal that's connected to ground. The A frame reference is on a travel trailer. I would start by checking the ground connection between the batteries and the frame. Once that's verified start at the battery positive terminal and work your way back until you lose the voltage and check that component. Let us know what you find.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpadden View Post
Chuckster57, We have found the coach battery cutoff solenoid, it is the latching relay (coach battery connect/Disconnect switch). It has (2) 5v fuses which are good. Thought that was the problem until my son ran the direct lead from the battery to this relay. With the direct lead, the relay solenoid worked. He tested the leads wired into the relay solenoid, there is no power from thebattery to the relay solonoid on the original connected leads.

I will be starting the motorhome today, I will try the coach battery assist when starting up. Do I need to hold the switch once it has started?

Yes, keep the aux start engaged. We use a small screwdriver and wedge it. If your coach is like others the charge solenoid needs good voltage from the house batteries to stay engaged.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
kpadden

My son found it, yeah!!!!! It was a 40 amp breaker. First breaker from the battery. It was not in the battery bay, so he traced the wob of wires and they came up under the bottom drawer by the stove. Reset the breaker. And is now cleaning the ground, to insure good continuity. My son is my hero! Always was, but he just put another notch in his belt!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #15
kpadden

Thank you all for all your help and suggestions. You led us to the solution.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Good to hear it’s all fixed. Sounds like your son may be ready to come to work at the shop. Have him stop by my work and fill out an application.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #17
AJFoyt

12V Batteries not recharging on AC

I have this same issue on 2017 Keystone Raptor.

Stopped by Camping World where the unit was purchased. Apparently, there is a 20V fuse on the rear of the AC/DC converter (note: NOT in fuse panel) which has blown. This causes no trickle charge to batteries (I have 3). 6 month old new coach.

Mine is not accessible behind Kitchen wall and below front bathroom on 5th wheel. I hooked up an external battery charger to external AC outlet to solve my issue for now.

$50 fix for poor location of AC/DC converter.

Good luck.
AJFoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #18
damillersr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
This is exactly what happened to my TH, I replaced it yesterday after 3 hours of searching, $7 later and everything is great again!!
damillersr is offline   Reply With Quote