Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Kristi

2014 Keystone wheel bearings

Report Receipt Date: MAR 12, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V120000
Component(s): SUSPENSION
Potential Number of Units Affected: 708

Manufacturer: Keystone RV Company
SUMMARY:
Keystone RV Company (Keystone) is recalling certain model year 2014 Cougar, Springdale, Hideout, Passport, and Bullet fifth wheels and travel trailers manufactured January 13, 2014, through February 12,2014. In the affected vehicles, the inner wheel bearings on the axle may have insufficient lubrication.

CONSEQUENCE:
With an insufficient amount of lubrication, the wheel bearing and hub may become overheated and the wheel may seize or separate from the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Keystone will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the axle hubs and bearings for the proper lubrication. Any damaged bearings will be replaced. These repirs will be performed, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in April 2014. Owners may contact Keystone at 1-866-425-4369. Keystone’s number associated with this recall is 14-202.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
BirchyBoy

Thanks for posting this. I need to call because I think mine was built in that window and we've got a trip coming up soon.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
theasphaltrv'er

Thanks for the post. Our 5er's build date was Jan 30, 2014 so I called the # and only got an automated response & to leave a message or talk with another # and tried but got the same response and voice mail box that was full and couldn't leave a message. I've sent an email to my dealer to see what they have heard. Don't know if our is affected cuz it did make about 2000 journey from the factory to the dealer safely, but we will see.

thanks for heads up
Milo

On Edit ...
Ours is not on the list of recall Vin #'s
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
BirchyBoy

The NHTSA lists the affected VIN numbers in a PDF. Mine is there. Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...000&refurl=rss
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
The NHTSA lists the affected VIN numbers in a PDF. Mine is there. Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...000&refurl=rss
I called Keystone and mine isn't affected after all. The first two digits of the Passport units is EX; mine is ET. It is for units with AL-KO AXIS branded axles.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
austinp

Took my hideout 28BHSWE to the dealer Wednesday for the recall. I got a letter direct from Keystone advising me to get it checked ASAP on Monday. It's not done yet, so I bet it needed to go in. Only had about 150 miles on it.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Took my hideout 28BHSWE to the dealer Wednesday for the recall. I got a letter direct from Keystone advising me to get it checked ASAP on Monday. It's not done yet, so I bet it needed to go in. Only had about 150 miles on it.
Keep in mind that it was towed from the factory (probably in Oregon) to the dealer, so even though you have only put 150 miles on it, it could easily have much more mileage than that on the suspension and tires.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
austinp

You're right. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
austinp

As it turned out my TT was built outside the recall dates. It spent a week at the dealer before I called and was told it was ready. It might have still been there if I didn't call.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
BSHGTO

so`s mine

New 2013 Montana High Country, when I got it home and did a more detailed inspection I found almost no grease on the bearings and none I mean none in the in the easy lube channels. I used a 1 1/2 tubes of grease to get the easy lube channels filled to spec.Called the dealer and they had no answer
(why did I expect one). Maybe Montana's should be included in the recall. Mine was towed from Indiana to Md, like this. After removing all wheels I did not see any bluing from over heating, that was luck......... Nice work fellas
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #11
TLB

Wow, good thing you checked that BSHGTO, that could have gone bad in a hurry.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
kmgeer

2014 Cougar 24RKSWE TT

Our travel trailer is supposedly not a part of this recall, however in September of last year we were getting ready to take a trip when I noticed we lost the hub cover off our rear drivers side wheel. I'm no mechanic but the way the parts inside were laying in there did not look right. Fortunately an employee from our local dealership lives just a few houses down the street and our next door neighbor is quite the mechanic, they took the tire off and took the hub apart, let's just say it was not good. The bearing buddy had fallen off, the spring from the inside of the buddy was wrapped around the axel, could have been really bad had we hit the road with it like that. We bought the unit brand new in February of 2014, I contacted both the dealership and Keystone. Keystone told us it was a "standard maintenance issue" which I disputed, our dealer sent a mechanic to our home to repair the issue and check the other wheels, 2 of the other wheels were on their way to doing the exact same thing. Scary. Keeping our fingers crossed we do not have any other issues, everyone we talked to said they have hauled their trailers "thousands" of miles and have never experienced any issues with their bearings doing this.
kmgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
Tbos

ez lube procedure?

Where can I find the proper procedure to make sure my ez lube axles are greased properly? My TT is outside the recall but I want to check everything before we start camping again in March.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 PM   #14
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Where can I find the proper procedure to make sure my ez lube axles are greased properly? My TT is outside the recall but I want to check everything before we start camping again in March.
Dexter axle has videos on their website.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #15
Tbos

The Dexter and You tube videos were right on the money. Thanks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #16
kmgeer

Bearing issues, twice now....

We have a 2014 Cougar 24' travel trailer. I discovered by chance an issue with our bearings while getting ready for an upcoming trip when I noticed the center cap was missing from one of the wheel hubs. Upon closer inspection I could see pieces of the bearing buddy laying sideways inside the hub. We contacted the dealer who ended up sending a service tech to our house and found that 3 of the 4 wheels all had these same bearing issues. They replaced the bearings under warranty (at that time we had our trailer for less than a year so it was covered regardless). This was all in September 2014. After another short trip just this last weekend we got home and this time I could smell a burning smell. Felt one of the hubs, burning hot to the touch. This was only about a 40 mile trip. Defective bearings again, dealer is working on it as we speak but I have no idea if they will cover this one under warranty again or not. I found the thread to the Keystone recall on this forum last year right after the first bearing failure, and ours was one of the units affected. Thank god I did find it because we never received a letter or any other kind of notification from Keystone OR from our dealer in regards this recall. Anyone else having these kinds of issues with Keystone? Our dealer has tried to be very fair with us, but the rep I had been in contact with at Keystone (Ann Flagg if anyone is interested) quit responding or acknowledging my emails after the first bearing failure. So disappointed for the kind of money we are paying for this unit, but have to admit other than the crappy customer service from Keystone we love the layout and the style of our trailer. Just wish we haven't had some of the quality issues we have had.
kmgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #17
bobbecky

In Keystone's defense, the axle units, whether AL-KO or Dexter, are delivered to the various Keystone plants complete, minus the wheel/tires. Keystone does not disassemble these axles, so any lack of grease is ultimately on the axle manufacturer. Yes, Keystone is the manufacturer of the trailer, but the company that provides the various components ends up making it good.

On the subject of the E-Z-Lube axles, they aren't filled with grease from the factory, nor is it really a good idea to do so later. When you do pull the wheels and drums to inspect the brakes, you end up having a serious mess of grease everywhere. These axles are not installed on boat trailers and are not normally immersed in water, so the bearings only need a normal quantity of grease packed in them and a little extra on the races when put back together. Too much grease also tends to cause seal failure and results in grease on the brakes.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Rick52

Just a note to anyone purchasing a new travel trailer, or 5th wheel. The axle assembly's are not, IMHO, checked out properly before shipment to the factories, just read the threads. The factories have many components they are installing that are not their own equipment. Each of these contain their own warranty from the company that makes them. Ultimately, I believe the one item that may contain the most liability would be the axles. If they fail, you could be in a fatal accident. Even if the factory checks the axles, which I am sure most do not, unless you pick up your unit at the factory it has been towed "X" number of miles to the dealership of your choice. I can pretty much guarantee that most, if any, dealers pull the wheels and hubs on all the trailers they receive to check the brakes. Anyone purchasing a new rv from a dealer should insist they prove the brakes are in good shape or move on to one that will. My 2016 fz371 had completely trashed brakes on all four wheels, which I did not discover until I got home, 300 miles from the dealership. I checked them on my own an ended up replacing all four brake packages and repacking the bearings, which were obviously not packed properly from the manufacturer. I recently advised a friend that was purchasing a new fuzion to have the dealer pull a wheel and hub and check the brakes and they were also in bad enough shape to need replacing before they left the lot. If you ask a dealer to inspect the brakes and they balk, walk away. This is a major problem that needs to be addressed. Many people that buy rv's are not mechanics and are trusting that the unit they are buying has been completely checked out, and is safe.....You are paying good money and can't ask too many questions.....
Rick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #19
mdspur

I have a 2013 bullet premier (30RLPR), on last trip one wheel lost all grease, got very hot and burned break up, welded wheel bearings to axel. replaced axel and all parts!
mdspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #20
CrazyCain

Thankfully my Hideout is a 2016, but still going in for wheel bearing check and repacking at the end of the month.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote