Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 05:30 AM   #1
Frederick

Tire pressure

I"m getting different info on tire pressure installed new 12 ply 235/16/80R they came home with 90 lbs was then told they should hve 110 lbs google info says 95 lbs I put 92 lbs in them for my sturgis SD trip any ideas on this
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 AM   #2
Tbos

If the sidewall says 110 run 110 cold. Most have found if the wheels are rated to max tire pressure running at max is best for load capacity and performance.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:23 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

X2^^. TBOS nailed this one.
Run your tires at the max stamped on the sidewall.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Load Range F (12 ply rating) tires are rated at maximum capacity at 95 PSI.
Load Range G (14 ply rating) tires are rated at maximum capacity at 110 PSI.

You indicate your tires are 12 ply tires, so the 110 PSI should not enter the picture.

What brand, size tires did you buy? Given that information, every manufacturer has a specifications chart for their ST tire lines which gives the maximum pressure/load information.

You can find the Carlisle Radial Trail HD information at this link: https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...adial-trail-hd

Carlisle's 12 ply tire only comes in one size and is the last entry at the bottom of the chart. If you have a competitor's tires, they "should" follow very closely with the pressure/load ratings, but may differ, so check your specific brand to confirm.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Javi

Make sure that your wheels are rated for the sidewall pressure... My 16" wheels are only rated for 80 pounds...
Old 08-11-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
GHen

I have always wondered about cold compared to hot pressure, especially during our hot summers. If it says 110 cold, then how much is too much when hot? 115, 120.... I have the same question on my Tow vehicle. Once every hour or two I check tires and wheel temperature with an infrared temperature sensor to confirm they are consistent and I watch my TV pressure on my dash. They climb about 5 pounds when warmed up. When checking my rv tire pressures, I see about 5 pounds more also. I have not driven in 90 degree plus temperatures so I’m not sure how much more they will climb. When should I be concerned?
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I have always wondered about cold compared to hot pressure, especially during our hot summers. If it says 110 cold, then how much is too much when hot? 115, 120.... I have the same question on my Tow vehicle. Once every hour or two I check tires and wheel temperature with an infrared temperature sensor to confirm they are consistent and I watch my TV pressure on my dash. They climb about 5 pounds when warmed up. When checking my rv tire pressures, I see about 5 pounds more also. I have not driven in 90 degree plus temperatures so I’m not sure how much more they will climb. When should I be concerned?
You set your tires at the max COLD temp. They are designed to handle the increase after heating up. Otherwise you'd have to stop A LOT to make minor adjustments in pressure. That would be no joy in my book.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ what Chip said.... To think that engineers "didn't consider heat/pressure gain" when designing a tire is to believe that "kindergarten concepts" were ignored. It's basic engineering at work to build in the anticipated heat/pressure rise when designing any product. While it may have happened "one time with one tire design" to believe that every tire built has "failed the concept" just won't fly....

The tire manufacturers are way ahead of your concern about "what if" and have built the tires to accommodate the anticipated pressure rise. In almost every "tire maintenance FAQ" you'll read the statement: "Do not bleed tire pressure from your tires while they are hot"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
NorskeBob

In load range E run 80 psi in load range G run 110# - all cold pressure. Keystone was cheap and put a load range E on as the spare - the 4 on the RV are load range G. The pressures will vary with outside air temp. So - I check the pressures prior to each trip.

Run the tow vehicle at the pressures as recommended - "door" sticker for our truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gvwr sticker 5.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	17984  

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #10
5J's

Run the tow vehicle at the pressures as recommended - "door" sticker for our truck.[/QUOTE]

This is only true if you are running the tire size that is also printed on the sticker. [emoji6]

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #11
travelin texans

The "cold" pressure means before traveling as in the morning 1st thing before you take off, tires are at ambient temp, doesn't mean an actual temperature. Even then those that are exposed to the sun will be different temps than those in the shade, just set them all the same pressure. If they are a couple pounds different don't sweat it, you nor the tires will notice the difference.
I do recommend a good TPMS so that you can monitor the temps, again you'll never have all of them the same, you're watching for the extreme difference.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
MattE303

I have to respectfully disagree. The max inflation pressure stamped on the tire sidewalls is a "maximum" NOT a "minimum". There are cases where you can, and may want to run less than that.

Somewhere on your trailer (usually driver's side near the front) there is a placard that gives tire information. This placard indicates the size, load range and recommended inflation pressure for the OEM installed tires. If you are running the OEM tires, or tires that are the same size and load range as the OEM tires, you should run the pressure indicated on the placard.

BUT, if you replace the OEM tires with a HIGHER load range tire (for example replacing OEM Load range "E" tires with load range "G" tires, like the Sailun S637's) you are fine running any pressure between the recommended pressure on the placard, and the max inflation pressure indicated on the new tire sidewall. This is assuming your wheels are rated for the higher pressure of course.

For example, my trailer came with load range "E" tires, so my placard indicates 80 psi (same as the max pressure for the tires). I replaced those tires with load range "G" tires (Sailuns) which have a max inflation pressure of 110psi. My wheels are good for up to 110 psi, so I can run anything in the range from 80-110psi.

If I only run 80psi, I'm not taking advantage of the extra load handling capacity of the Sailuns, so it doesn't make much sense to do that, although I would argue that I'm still better off with the Sailuns at 80 psi than the OEM Trailer Kings. I discovered that if I run the full 110psi, my trailer gets a very rough ride. Given my trailer's actual loaded weight, the Sailuns at 110psi are overkill and ride like they are made of solid rock. For the load I normally carry, I run them at 90 psi, which gives a nice compliant ride, and still takes good advantage of the extra load handling capability of the Sailuns. If I were to carry significantly more in the garage, I'd go up to 95 or 100psi depending on weight.

I researched this carefully, and talked to a Sailun rep who provided a load inflation chart for my tires, which indicates appropriate pressures for my tires at different load weights.

Your *tires* are fine always being run at the max inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall no matter how light the actual load they are carrying is, but you may get a much better towing experience by running them at a pressure that is more appropriate to the actual load being carried, as long as you stay within the above specified constraints (no less than trailer placard inflation pressure, no more than tire sidewall max inflation pressure).

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #13
Frederick

went to put items in the RV found flat tire took it off brought it home tie is rated F at 100 psi cold Rim is rated at 100 psi found valve stem inner part loose tightrn up looks good so now I have allthe press rating I should need thanks for the feed back
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #14
CWtheMan

This is a little off topic because the OP did not let us in on his trailer model or axle size.

The OP needs to inflate his tires to the recommended cold inflation pressures found in the vehicle owner manual for OEM tires. If upgraded from LRE to LRF follow MattE303s advice in post #12 above.

However, it's a really good example of how fast the "Offshore" manufacturer's can adjust to the RV trailer industry's needs. They have added a load range to the size designation ST235/80R16. It's LRF, rated at 3860# @ 100 PSI. The new RVIA tire recommendation for RV trailer's is to provide 10% load capacity reserves above the vehicle certified GAWRs . Do the math for this new load range and you will find it qualifies for 7000# axle fitment. That gives the RV trailer manufacturers the advantage of a tire that will fit RVIAs recommendation, at bargain prices. You're really going to have to get to like the TK tires...hehehe!.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

LRF tires rated at 3860 @ 100 PSI would give 20 pounds of "excess capacity" beyond the 10% RVIA requirement on 7000 pound axles. I'm not in the market for a heavier trailer, but if I were, rather than choose TK "maypops" I'd upgrade to Sailun LRG tires and make the decision based on performance/towing characteristics whether to run them at 100 PSI or 110 PSI. For me (your opinion may differ) I won't run TK tires on any trailer I own after experiencing the tire failures I had with my last TK tires. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
LRF tires rated at 3860 @ 100 PSI would give 20 pounds of "excess capacity" beyond the 10% RVIA requirement on 7000 pound axles. I'm not in the market for a heavier trailer, but if I were, rather than choose TK "maypops" I'd upgrade to Sailun LRG tires and make the decision based on performance/towing characteristics whether to run them at 100 PSI or 110 PSI. For me (your opinion may differ) I won't run TK tires on any trailer I own after experiencing the tire failures I had with my last TK tires. YMMV

^^^^x2 - me either.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #17
Javi

Me too X3 not in this lifetime
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #18
ChuckS

A quality tire shop most likely would not install tires on wheels that can’t handle max cold inflation pressure . It was the first thing Les Schwab checked on my wheels when I went from E rated Trailer King junk to their 14 ply g rated tire. But crawl under neath and look a back side of wheel. Max psi should be stamped on the wheel.

I’d run tires at max cold psi stamped on tires provided it’s withjn range stamped on the wheel.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #19
Fishsizzle

I’ll wade into this a little. I worked at Schwabies many moons ago.

Tow vehicle: to get the ratings on the door, that is cargo or towing, you must inflate the tires to the pressure listed. I run my tires much lower when I’m not towing or carrying cargo. I’ve seen more than a few tires with centers worn out from running them up without a load on them

My trailers are always loaded, or will be for half a trip. So These are always at the max.

And I check Truck and Trailer every time I hook up. Carry a small compressor to top off if needed.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #20
johnlewis

Cold tire pressure is supposed to be at 70 degrees F. Of course, it's seldom we can check tire pressure at 70. However, adjusting for an ambient temperature that is a few degrees higher or lower doesn't change the tire pressure much (about 1 psi difference in 6 degrees). So, weigh the axles, determine the load weight per tire. Go to the tire manufacturer's website. There is a chart for your model tire that tells you what the tire pressure should be for that load weight. That is the tire pressure you should use. Use the maximum tire pressure listed on the tire ONLY IF the load weight you measured is the same as maximum load weight. Otherwise, your tires will wear in the center faster than on the edges, and you will have to replace them sooner.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote