Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
zkirby

Raptor 425ts

Total noob here! We purchased a Raptor 425ts last weekend and take possession of it in a few days. We are complete rv noobs and this is our first one... I guess we got carried away and fell in love with the floor plan. We are a family of 5 and are also getting into dirt bikes so we will be hauling 4 soon 5 dirt bikes as well as other toys on our weekend mini-cations.

I知 looking for tips on what to look for during our pdi walkthrough in a few days.

If your wondering I知 towing it with a 2018 F-350 6.7L Diesel SRW.

Zkirby
zkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:31 AM   #2
jodipitbull

I bought my Laredo this spring, got it to our seasonal site and all four ceiling vent seals on the inside were warped and literally falling out. Make sure to look up! The rubber seam between the front cap and roof was also lifting on one side.

And our dealership offered a special interior and exterior package that supposedly guarantees I won’t have to wax it for five years, and covers pet stains or rips to the interior cushions too. So that was a no brained for me, but I was pissed my salesman didn’t tell me in advance so we had to wait two hours the day of our delivery to have them spray the inside and outside. If that is something you want, have it done before you get there.

Oh and one more important thing... have then install an INTERNAL surge protector. Unless you feel comfortable DIY, but I figured I’d rather have the work covered under warranty than find myself with a voided warranty cuz I did it myself. Wasn’t cheap, about $700 installed, but worth every penny.

I still consider myself a noob! Welcome to the group!
jodipitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:53 AM   #3
xrated

I know you didn't ask, but you are more than enough weight there for your tow vehicle to be overloaded. You are in Dually territory with almost 19,000 lb of GVW on the trailer. And I do realize that almost 4000 lb of pin weight will be reduced a bit (possibly) when you get dirt bikes in the garage area, but you are a triple axle, 43' long and 13' 6" in height and with a rig that big, you will need a Dually to safely tow it.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
zkirby

Yikes! I just bought the truck... I’ll tow it once or twice and see how it goes. I know that’s not the right answer but I’m kind of stuck with this setup for awhile.... gotta get the wife to pack light lol...
Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
zkirby

Just checked with Ford. I’m good to 20.6k. The trailer specs say it weights 15.5k dry with a payload rating of 3.5k and a gvwr of 19.0. Technically I think I’m in there but there is very little margin... the dually would have gotten me to 27.7k-31.0k depending on the rear end... I originally wanted a dually but talked myself out of it just to make the truck a little easier to navigate when not towing... I’m kicking myself a little with my decision but as I said above I just bought the truck and am stuck with it for at least 2 years until I can trade her in for a dually if I discover she’s just not cutting the mustard....
Old 08-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
zkirby

Leave House Full of Water?

As a noob I have many noob questions... if I知 heading to a site with power and water is it normal to depart the house with full water tanks? I知 trying to estimate what weight I値l actually be at when I start the trip.

I知 figuring:
TT: 15.5k
4 dirt bikes:
-ttr230 250lbs
-ttr125 200lbs
-KLX110 150lbs
-crf50: 110lbs

Total bikes: 710 lbs

Water: 110 gals @ 660lbs
Fuel: 60 gals @ 360lbs

That痴 17,170lbs which leaves or roughly 1.8k for everything else.... not a lot I realize...

So do you all start off down the road with full water tanks?

Zkirby
TT: 2018 Raptor 425ts
Hitch: Pullrite OEM 24k
Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The safety of your family is (or should be) the first priority. In your posts, you never mention them.

So, FIRST, start with your truck's PAYLOAD (from the yellow door sticker). From that, deduct your family's weight, your cargo they carry (IN THE TRUCK), your fifth wheel hitch weight, any cargo you carry in the bed of the truck. What's left is the most your trailer pin weight should be.

SECOND, look at the gray sticker on your driver's door post and find the RAWR (rear axle weight rating). Hitch the truck to the trailer with your family and all the anticipated cargo in it, tow to the nearest CAT scale and weigh the rig. What you see on the weight ticket is gospel. Everything else is "purely speculation and here-say".

For the safety of your family, weigh your trailer and truck. Only then can you make any kind of "educated decision" about what you can and can't tow.

As for Ford's website, realize that they are in the business of "outselling GM and RAM" and their "maximum towing capacity ratings" are under ideal conditions with the style trailer that maximizes the rating (so they benefit) for marketing purposes. Their rating doesn't say "the max fifth wheel travel trailer" it simply says, "Maximum fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer weight". There is a world of difference between towing a 17,000 pound farm tractor on a gooseneck trailer and towing a 43' "flat sidewall sail" called a toy hauler. They are not the same in towing characteristics and Ford doesn't advertise their rating as even applying to a Raptor toy hauler.

You're at the upper end of a F350 dually and fast approaching F450/550 requirements when you consider a family of 5 with all their toys.

So, to cut to the chase, simply WEIGH YOUR RIG, then you'll see what we're all trying to tell you......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The safety of your family is (or should be) the first priority. In your posts, you never mention them.

So, FIRST, start with your truck's PAYLOAD (from the yellow door sticker). From that, deduct your family's weight, your cargo they carry (IN THE TRUCK), your fifth wheel hitch weight, any cargo you carry in the bed of the truck. What's left is the most your trailer pin weight should be.

SECOND, look at the gray sticker on your driver's door post and find the RAWR (rear axle weight rating). Hitch the truck to the trailer with your family and all the anticipated cargo in it, tow to the nearest CAT scale and weigh the rig. What you see on the weight ticket is gospel. Everything else is "purely speculation and here-say".

For the safety of your family, weigh your trailer and truck. Only then can you make any kind of "educated decision" about what you can and can't tow.

As for Ford's website, realize that they are in the business of "outselling GM and RAM" and their "maximum towing capacity ratings" are under ideal conditions with the style trailer that maximizes the rating (so they benefit) for marketing purposes. Their rating doesn't say "the max fifth wheel travel trailer" it simply says, "Maximum fifth wheel/gooseneck trailer weight". There is a world of difference between towing a 17,000 pound farm tractor on a gooseneck trailer and towing a 43' "flat sidewall sail" called a toy hauler. They are not the same in towing characteristics and Ford doesn't advertise their rating as even applying to a Raptor toy hauler.

You're at the upper end of a F350 dually and fast approaching F450/550 requirements when you consider a family of 5 with all their toys.

So, to cut to the chase, simply WEIGH YOUR RIG, then you'll see what we're all trying to tell you......
Very well stated John. I was kind of in a hurry this morning when I replied, as I had an early Dr. Appt. and didn't have time to go into as much detail as you did.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
mcomeaux

Sounds like a full boat I would not transport water if it's already there.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #10
Racebug

I have noticed my TH pulls better with all the tanks full and garage loaded, but I usually only carry about 30 gallons or so if I am going to have full hookups.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
MattHelm21

Just to add some actual numbers to the mix, specs on my 414 are nearly identical to yours. 15,270 lbs dry 3530 lbs pin, 19,000 lbs GVWR. In real life, with no toys and just us ready to travel with full propane and water tanks, and our stuff(we are not full timers) the trailer scales at 17,800 lbs. The pin is at 3800 lbs. This is the problematic number for your truck, not the gross weight.

My signature below says all you need to hear about what I think about the DRW. I’m trying not to be harsh, just give you the real life info.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

My opinion is your Raptor is in at least 1 ton Dually territory. You will find out quickly as you drive down the road with a 18 wheeler on each side of you.

As stated nice big sail on that guy
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #13
zkirby

All,

I appreciate the wisdom and time put into the replies. I知 talking to my dealer about my options. With that said can I please redirect you to my original question of what I should look for or more in-depth at during my pdi walkthrough? I壇 like to know if there痴 any areas I should really go over with a fine tooth comb.

Again, thanks for your concern and telling it like it is. I appreciate it.

Zkirby
Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #14
mcomeaux

I would do a complete setup with awnings extended, fire the generator up and operate all systems. Pull patio down and setup your steps I did not do this only to find out mine were defective from MFG. Run the A/C's and verify vent flow. Make sure it has current batteries on board mine had batteries dated 08/06. Dealer replaced on my request. I would plan on a 3 hour or more pdi and not rush through it. Be sure to get a good surge protector before use. I'm sure more will chime in. Take a second thought on the tow vehicle...Triple axle that's big...What kind of hitch system did you get? I'm very pleased with the Andersen Ultimate...
Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #15
zkirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
I would do a complete setup with awnings extended, fire the generator up and operate all systems. Pull patio down and setup your steps I did not do this only to find out mine were defective from MFG. Run the A/C's and verify vent flow. Make sure it has current batteries on board mine had batteries dated 08/06. Dealer replaced on my request. I would plan on a 3 hour or more pdi and not rush through it. Be sure to get a good surge protector before use. I'm sure more will chime in. Take a second thought on the tow vehicle...Triple axle that's big...What kind of hitch system did you get? I'm very pleased with the Andersen Ultimate...
Thanks for the info. As it stands I知 set to get a Pull-rite 24k or 25k.

zkirby
Old 08-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
MattHelm21

There are a lot of options and features on these models. Print the brochure and if you see an item listed in features and options then verify it exists, works, and cross it off the list. We had a problem with a duct divider in the Coleman Mach airconditioner in the bedroom. It let warm humid air into the cool ducts and the humidity condensed and dripped so make sure the AC’s are on while you are there and leave them on the whole time. Check for water stains on the comforter on the bed.

One of the chill grills under one of the air conditioners was installed backwards routing air out the intake filters and drawing air in from the output register.

Both were very easy fixes. I also found how to decode the dates on the tires. Anymore than a year older than the trailer model year and I’d have a problem. I also brought a creeper to the dealership and rolled around underneath a bit to look for obvious issues like cracked rubber, springs, spring shackles.

I negotiated a second 12 volt battery. This is a minimum if you have the residential fridge option like I do. Two 6 volts are even better.

Lastly, search this forum for PDI. There is a link to one you can print and bring with you as well.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:24 AM   #17
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Here's a good PDI list from the forum. http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #18
zkirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Here's a good PDI list from the forum. http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenav...PDI_V113_2.pdf
Thank you Chip! This is gold!

zkirby
Old 08-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #19
NevadaRich

zkirby, this may be late, but if you find anything that needs repairing, have them fix it before you take it off the lot, or you will have to make an appointment just like everyone else.....Make you happy, by getting them to repair NOW...its a lot of money your spending, so go home happy....As for the truck get a dully....as for the Trailer, you will see that 20K will come very fast....One time, I had 4 in the truck, side by side in the back with all the extras, weighted it before leaving on a month trip...WOW 26K....so watch your weight....Good luck and Happy camping
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #20
packnrat

do a full inspection on it before singing off on it.
inspect every outlet,
water tap,
running gear.
spare tire,
hinges on EVERY thing.
all fit and trims.
stove works. water pump works.
NO leaks.
slides work,
doors seal corectly.
down load a couple of the check off listing found online.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor