Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2024, 10:50 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

You can be assured that no holding tank on a RV will have an "overflow". The tanks all have a vent to allow air into the tank while the liquids drain and out of the tank when liquids are go in. The waste water tanks (black & gray" have a vent pipe that exits on top of the roof. This is to keep odors away from people. The fresh water tank will exit the side of the camper as there are no odors associated with clean water.

Logically, no liquids should exit underneath an RV and it would not happen "by design" but rather only by a default or failure of some point. That would be like a plumber running a drain line from your sink and letting it flow into the crawlspace or basement of your house.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #22
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton40 View Post
Happy New Year.

I have a 2023 Bullet. I have two 30 gallon tanks. The one for the shower fills very quickly and starts overflowing onto the ground. It does not back up into shower. Its been to the dealer 4 times and they say this is the way it works and to watch the tank levels. Keystone was contacted and said this is the correct.
As has been stated this is Not normal and against regulations if it is grey tank or black tank leaking.

If you called Keystone and they told you something like this then they are misunderstanding what you are telling them.

Yes Fresh Water tank has an overflow.

If any other tank is leaking anywhere then you have a leak. Nust recently I saw a video where grey tank was dischRging water when more than 3/4 full… After removing Coroplast underbelly cover & ruined insulation near the water leak area they discovered a crack in the grey tank up high. It was caused by the mounting that had allowed tank to wear through and crack.
Your sending sensor penetration point could be leaking… tighten slightly at the sensor point.

It is not supposed to do this. Let’s move past dealer & Keystone conversations.

Address your issue. You have an unwanted discharge or leak.Even if something was supposed to operate that way I don’t like it and I’m going to modify & upgrade it.

Note: grey water tank gettin full will back up in the shower first, or kitchen sink if a separate tank. They should never flow outside unless ther le is a leak.
Any overflow ir leaking fluid underneath will wet and destroy you insulation.
So you can see it isn’t normal or designed that way.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 12:26 PM   #23
Pathfinder75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That looks like your fresh water tank over flowing. Does it happen only when connected to fresh water? Your water pump contains a check valve to prevent this and it sometimes gets sand or debris blocking it and allows fresh water to flow into your water tank causing it to overflow out of the vent tube.
I don't Think so. Fresh water tank should have overflow hose or vent outside of the underbelly. It would not be dumping in underbelly for the coroplastic to support.
Somebody needs to open the bottom and inspect the area this water is coming from and spend less time guessing.

Dave, Kathy & Golden Retrievers Tucker & Andi
2017 Montana HC 353RL - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Morryde Stepabove Steps STP-4-30-03H -
Kodiak 8-Lug 13" Premier Disc Brake Conversion Kit
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB - B&W Companion w/OEM Ford puck.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 04:54 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

IMO something is wrong at the dealership. A waste tank does not, repeat does not, have an "overflow" that just runs into the underbelly then onto the ground....it's not only illegal, it can cause health problems (why it's illegal) and it will ruin the trailer.

It seems simple; drop the coroplast, fill the tank....where's the leak? A grommet? If it's some sort of seal on a drain pipe, fill pipe etc. it is not supposed to back up and leak, it should be backing up into a tub or sink depending on what tank it is. Heck, tell them to do the above, you'll come down, they can fill the tank while you watch it, determine the leak location then tell them to fix it. I'm thinking they either don't want to drop the coroplast or don't know what they're doing....from afar.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:34 PM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

OP stated that he contacted Keystone and that told him it’s ok.

OP: you did tell them it’s a WASTE tank, not a fresh tank?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 04:04 AM   #26
Bill-2020

Quote:
As of today the problem is not fixed and my TT is still at the dealer. I have talked directly to Keystone customer service 4 times. The dealer service manager says he has called numerous times. I talked to the general manager and service manger (conference call) and they now agree there is a problem. They are rewriting the service order and have submitted it to Keystone. As of this past wednesday keystone was still closed for the holidays. Pending--- Thanks
Someone is telling you wrong. Keystone is not closed. They just advised my dealer (CW) late last week, Thursday in fact, that they will be transporting my trailer back to the factory in Goshen to have the off-door side exterior wall replaced/repaired under the structural warranty. This was an upper management decision, not a claims or warranty decision. It had already been through that department the week prior.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:58 AM   #27
merchjo

I have a 2023 Bullet 265RB with the 2 tanks as well and mine does not do what yours does. It cannot be as design because there are places the its illegal to dump your waste water on the ground.
merchjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #28
tallen

Quote:
As of today the problem is not fixed and my TT is still at the dealer. I have talked directly to Keystone customer service 4 times. The dealer service manager says he has called numerous times. I talked to the general manager and service manger (conference call) and they now agree there is a problem. They are rewriting the service order and have submitted it to Keystone. As of this past wednesday keystone was still closed for the holidays. Pending--- Thanks
Hey let us all know what you find out form the next go around your waiting on. Good luck with it also.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:09 PM   #29
rstarr8415

I might suggest a call to the RVIA standards group they will be able to give you chapter and verse on how your unit should be plumbed. Keystone or dealer can't argue with the standards they have agreed to build to.

30 years RV industry speaking
rstarr8415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:17 PM   #30
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Someone is telling you wrong. Keystone is not closed.
Oh oh. Is it possible that instead of Keystone, he has been talking to...
Old 01-09-2024, 08:09 AM   #31
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Oh oh. Is it possible that instead of Keystone, he has been talking to...
That sir is too good!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:21 AM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Happy New Year.

I have a 2023 Bullet. I have two 30 gallon tanks. The one for the shower fills very quickly and starts overflowing onto the ground. It does not back up into shower. Its been to the dealer 4 times and they say this is the way it works and to watch the tank levels. Keystone was contacted and said this is the correct.
You claim you have 2 - 30 gallon tanks?
Most TTs of any length have 3 waste holding tanks, 1 bath, 1 kitchen & 1 black tank. If yours is backing up into the shower I'm guessing your bath grey tank is full & I'm also guessing you have a full tank & haven't found the hidden drain valve as of yet.
I also agree that everyone at the dealer & whomever else you've ask at the manufacturer is lying to you, there should never be waste water draining onto the ground.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:07 AM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm also guessing you have a full tank & haven't found the hidden drain valve as of yet.
That would have been my thought too... but he did post a photo of the tank draining under his rig, so either way, this is wrong.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:00 PM   #34
FordF350

Agree and I call BS too .
There is definitely a gasket , crack or other type of issue causing this . The manufacturer and dealer are both completely incompetent in my humble opinion .
The entire bottom needs to be opened up and investigated in real time with water to expose the exact location of the leak . Spilling gray water is not allowed in most rv resorts and campgrounds . I’ve been there also . Sometimes in order to get a resolution you have to either fix yourself or find another dealer who can do basic rv repair .
FordF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:41 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of members touched on the "final end result" that goes along with this "water leak"... Whether it's a fresh water leak, a rain water leak, a gray water leak, the end result is that the entire underbelly of the trailer has been subjected to water that potentially has "wetted and damaged" the interior of the underbelly. On some trailers, all that's in the underbelly is the bottom of the holding tanks, some ROMEX wiring (that shouldn't be damaged) and a layer of "mylar bubble wrap"... If the water is dried, hopefully that trailer construction won't be damaged...

On the other hand, some trailers have exposed wood, exposed fiberglass insulation, sometimes with a paper backing, exposed open cell foam, exposed rigid foam insulation, sometimes heat ducts and duct runs, sometimes other electrical wiring or components that could be damaged or destroyed by the water in the underbelly.

Then, there's always the potential that if not completely dried and the leak repaired, mold can be a significant problem that we haven't discussed yet.

No matter the source of "water in the underbelly" if it's not corrected, mold that could make the trailer uninhabitable is a significant risk...

I can not imagine Keystone telling anyone that it's "designed that way and not a problem".... It's always a problem if water is leaking into the underbelly, causing that area to be wet and a potential source of mold.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:53 PM   #36
Phaeton40

UPDATE: Keystone contacted the dealer and requested more photos of the problem. The dealer sent them in yesterday and I just heard back from the dealer that Keystone has authorized replacement of the graytank and everything associated with it. Parts on order!
Phaeton40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:26 PM   #37
plocklin

The water has to go somwhere.

Quote:
Happy New Year.

Yes, if the tank is overfilled it will probably leak out somewhere. My keystone cougar backs up into the shower but also starts dripping on the ground before that happens. I watch the tank and dump it before it overfills.

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 03:26 PM   #38
notanlines

"Yes, if the tank is overfilled it will probably leak out somewhere. "
The dripping on the ground is out of line. The mold and mildew in the belly will be a problem. You have a leak.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:46 PM   #39
Bill-2020

Quote:
UPDATE: Keystone contacted the dealer and requested more photos of the problem. The dealer sent them in yesterday and I just heard back from the dealer that Keystone has authorized replacement of the graytank and everything associated with it. Parts on order!
Now that sounds more like the way it should go. Get comfortable, it could be a bit of a wait for the dealer to get those items installed.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:15 AM   #40
German Shepherd Guy

I would talk to the service manager and have him take photos of the entire replacement process. After this same service department claimed that the over flow was supposed to work that way does anyone here actually believe they will be competent to replace this tank? I am not sure how you would monitor this situation. I feel for the OP and wish him the best of luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank