Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM   #1
RacerX

Black tank sensor orientation/ location

Hi. Been looking for this info and thought I would ask the forum.

Like most my sensors on the black tank (especially the lowest one) work well when they do and then occasionally get “dirty” and give false levels. I have a high pressure thru the toilet wand that does a great job of breaking that up and cleaning the sensors when used but without dropping the bottom I really don’t know where the sensors are located. So I randomly circle the wand and try to get all 4 sides of the tank and eventually get success..

It would be nice to know where the sensors are located on the tank so that I could focus the soray in that direction (short of dropping the undercovering to locate it visually). Are they oriented in a standard position? Eg front, back, camp side or non camp side? Where could I find this info?
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2024, 05:56 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

My tank is wedge-shaped, deeper at the end where the outlet is located. My sensors are located on that same end, which is the standard non-camp side.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 06:48 PM   #3
RacerX

Thank you Bulldog. I’ll aim that direction next time and check the results!
Old 01-07-2024, 07:31 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

In all my years of working on these rolling wonders, I have found most of the time, the sensors are mounted on the drain side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:02 PM   #5
RacerX

Thank you. exactly the inside knowledge I was looking for.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:08 PM   #6
LHaven

If you're really curious, use what I call the "industrial proctoscope." Mine comes from Harbor Freight [LINK], but since then there are dozens of cheaper models available that attach to smartphones that you can find on Amazon. It's worth having one of these for general RV work, like scoping out the locations of things above your ceiling (through the wiring hole under the closest puck-light), finding where your clearance light wire fell to after Mickey chewed it in half, and a bunch of other things. I'm suggesting you could just suspend it down the toilet valve and take a look at all four sides of the tank, but I guess you could also snake it under the coroplast and have a looksee at what's there, too.

Tags
black tank, tank