Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2023, 07:56 AM   #1
PhilipWBarnes

Black tank flush

Is there a trick to get the water to flush the tank. Can't seem to get it to work.???????????
PhilipWBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Hook up the hose, turn it on and it should work LOL.

Could be an anti siphon valve backwards, plugged sprayer end, kinked line. The valve is often times in the bathroom tucked up under the sink. It will have an arrow showing proper flow. If that not the issue, then it will mean further digging.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
SargeW

Mine worked for a while then clogged up (due to having to haul my full tanks to a dump station 50 miles away). The water pressure wouldn't clear it, so as a last resort before digging into the underbelly, I purchased a "winter blow out valve kit" on Amazon for $10.

Basically it is a valve that screws into your black tank (or fresh tank) water hook up line, and has an air fitting nipple on the end. There is a shut off in the middle. I hooked up to my compressor, and feathering the shut off valve back and forth using just a little pressure at a time, worked it back and forth until the sprayer end cleared. I filled the tank the night before and let it sit for about 8 hours to soak the spray end.

Now I carry it with me in case I get a reoccurrence of clogging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 04:48 PM   #4
GlasNav

As Chuckster posted if this is the first time attempting to use the black tank flush and nothing happens, 90% of the time the anti-siphon valve was installed backwards. This is a common issue with assembly line production with minimal oversight...

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:39 PM   #5
Nomadic

So, hello I'm new here, but my black tank flush was installed backwards from the factory on my new RV. It had to be warranty repaired. If it doesn't just work, could be your issue
Nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 12:29 PM   #6
rlh1957

Too many units from manf. seem to get valves reversed.
I don’t think they aren’t paying attention to flow direction if valve, I believe they lose track of which Pex line is supply water line and which goes to the black tank… go figure both lines are about same length and same blue color.
When changing mine and checking it I wasn’t sure which either… So I had my wife connect Black Flush inlet and gently turn water on to see which line water cane out of then connected back-flow vacuum breaker valve correctly.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:23 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Too many units from manf. seem to get valves reversed.
I don’t think they aren’t paying attention to flow direction if valve, I believe they lose track of which Pex line is supply water line and which goes to the black tank… go figure both lines are about same length and same blue color.
When changing mine and checking it I wasn’t sure which either… So I had my wife connect Black Flush inlet and gently turn water on to see which line water cane out of then connected back-flow vacuum breaker valve correctly.
Or, one might "expect their selling dealership" to actually do the PDI on the trailer (as expected) and if that's done, wouldn't there "ALWAYS" be a functional anti-siphon valve that is properly connected ?????

People seem to gravitate to blaming the line workers for "everything" when in fact, if they'd just hold the person who they hand their money to accountable.....

This isn't aimed specifically at the quoted member above, but we keep "blaming an unseen, unknown person in Goshen for all trailer problems, when if the person local to their trailer, the one who actually "is responsible to check and verify functional status" would just do their dam* job, 75% of all these problems would "suddenly just disappear"....

Imagine all the "I got my trailer home and didn't have a shore power cord" or "I plugged my trailer in at home and the microwave won't work" or any host of other "expected to work but doesn't" issues....

Wouldn't the vast majority of those "problems" simply disappear ?????

I suppose it's much less "personal" to hang the blame on some unknown worker hundreds of miles away than to go back to the dealership and simply put a finger on the service manager's chest and say, "Hey, Jack, your PDI man screwed my pooch and I don't appreciate it".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:20 PM   #8
NH_Bulldog

When I picked mine up I left the dealership with a 3 page checklist document initialed and signed by the tech dedicated to my sale. I also had half full fresh, grey and black tanks as a result of their testing. My only complaint was that they didn’t drain anything. But otherwise, I knew everything worked before I accepted delivery, and wouldn’t have accepted if there was something wrong.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:12 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
When I picked mine up I left the dealership with a 3 page checklist document initialed and signed by the tech dedicated to my sale. I also had half full fresh, grey and black tanks as a result of their testing. My only complaint was that they didn’t drain anything. But otherwise, I knew everything worked before I accepted delivery, and wouldn’t have accepted if there was something wrong.
That's exactly what "should happen" but way too many people just walk in, pick a floorplan, apply for financing, schedule a pickup and drag their new trailer home, then join a forum to complain about the factory's poor quality standards...

In the past year, I've read about how terrible Keystone is because they didn't even install drain caps on the low point drains. (how do they expect me to ever use my fresh water system?), Complaints that the anode was missing. (how did they pressurize the hot water system or check the water heater at the dealership?), Complaints that the microwave won't turn on, the furnace won't work, the TV doesn't have a remote, the stove burners won't light, the refrigerator won't get cold, there is no waterflow in the shower, the toilet won't flush, the In-Command won't turn on, the recliners won't recline (some say no power to the controller others say they manual mechanism is broken) others complain that there's a big scratch in the vinyl floor "right in the middle of the main cabin" (didn't they at least walk into their new trailer before spending $40K or more ?????)

Then, there's no keys to the locks, no owner's manual, no manuals for any of the appliances, no spare tire, no battery. The running lights don't work, the trailer brakes don't work, the stabilizer jacks don't work or one is bent, the slides won't extend, the slides won't retract, there's no lights in the trailer, there's no way to turn the lights off in the trailer, the tongue jack won't work, the landing gear won't go down (or up) and it's all "keystone's fault" because of their lack of quality control.

Nope, all that is "keystone's fault" and they have poor quality control in Goshen.... Seems NOBODY (well, at least the majority) never even consider that they have been "morally violated by a corrupt dealership's practices".....

But, yep, it's Keystone's fault their trailer has problems "before they ever slept in it".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:06 PM   #10
SadiesMom2

The first time I hooked the hose up to our Cougar, the water didn’t go into the tank and just ran out where I connected it. It turns out, on further inspection, that there was no washer where the hose attaches. I installed a washer and that solved the problem.
SadiesMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank