Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
beer breath

Slide out floor flex - free standing dinettte

We just bought a new 2013 Sydney 340fbh. The floor flexes under the free standing dinette. It flexes when walking and makes the table dip down as you are sitting in a chair. Is this normal? Everything else is very solid and well built but the floor on the slide feels cheap.
beer breath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Terrydactile

When is this flexing happening? With the slide in or out? Some slides are not to be used unless fully in the out position because the floor is not designed to support weight until it is out.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #3
beer breath

It happens with the slide fully out. There is about 1/2 inch of deflection.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
therink

My slide floor flexes when slide is in closed position, which I believe is normal. When it is open, I believe it is fairly firm. I don't however have a dinette with pedestal in the floor.
That would irritate me if the table wasn't stable dye to flexing of the floor. I would think there would be some sort of reinforcement there. Hopefully the 3/8" decking isn't cracked or water damaged.
It sounds like a good question to ask Keystone about. You could also cut a 12" by 12" piece of 3/4" plywood and place it on top of the existing carpet, anchor that to the slide floor and then anchor the table base to the 3/4" plywood base. I suppose you might want to stain or paint the plywood so it looks good.
That all I can think of. Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
rigby

We have a 2013 Copper Canyon 252FWRLS. I noted the same thing in ours (floor flexing around the free standing dinette). I checked under the carpet and underneath the slide and found that the plywood floor is intact around that area. I think the issue is just that there isn't really a floor 'joist' in that area of the slide so it's not that solid.

Steve W>
rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
beer breath

Thanks to all. There was a brand new 5'er from another manufacturer and the owner gave me a tour. His flexed twice as bad as mine so I think it is normal. My last camper was a lemon, so I am knitpicking this one. So far I am quite pleased with Keystone.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer breath View Post
Thanks to all. There was a brand new 5'er from another manufacturer and the owner gave me a tour. His flexed twice as bad as mine so I think it is normal. My last camper was a lemon, so I am knitpicking this one. So far I am quite pleased with Keystone.
Knitpick to your heart's content. Make sure you go over everything and that it's fixed before you're satisfied, but keep in mind that a certain amount of flex is necessary or the thing will rip apart at the seams. Check out a flatbed semi trailer. When empty, there's almost a foot of "arch" built into the bed frame. When loaded, it flexes to "flat or even more". The same holds true with airplane wings. To a certain extent, flexing is the "shock absorber" of a flat surface.

On the pedastle attachments in your table, if it were completely rigid, every time you bump against the table, you'd stress the attaching screws, eventually, they would either tear out of the OSB floor or come loose/shear from their mount. Would another type of mounting system be more rigid? Yup, but again, the cost is much greater and the compromise between profit and reliability has to be "juggled" or Keystone wouldn't be in business.

Without the ability to flex some, the movement during travel and use would all be absorbed by the corners/angles and that would lead to failure much faster than if it flexes to absorb the impact. How much is too much flex? who knows, but it is annoying to have a table wobble at dinner...... There's somewhat of a compromise between engineering, weight reduction and livability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote