Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #21
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, based on post #17, it appears that the new SAE standards for towing aren't significantly more realistic than the older standards. To me, it seems that there are some parts of RV towing that are addressed, some that appear to be ignored.

Anyone who has towed a 9000 pound tractor on a 6000 pound trailer (15000 pounds) knows it doesn't handle like a 15000 pound 40' toy hauler.

So, it seems to me that we're really no better equipped to look at the "new standards" as quoted by the truck manufacturers and have any more reason to believe that their tow vehicles will perform any better with the new ratings than they did with the older ratings when it comes to towing a "big flat sided RV"
The Ford guide, so I'm presuming all do it, also discusses surface area of the face and has different levels for different trucks and packages. So I'd say the tow ratings now are much better than in the past.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:29 AM   #22
Laredo Tugger

The mix and match of a proper TV for a given TT or 5er can be confusing. It would be nice to have some guidelines of official standards (sticker on the trailer) stating "this trailer should be towed by the following vehicles", but I can already hear RV dealers whining nation wide. I guess in effect that is what we try to do here and many other numerous threads like this one, but with all entries being only opinion.
And before anyone tries to lecture me on the realities of such a proposal, I get it that there are many factors that go into the equation for the "correct" TV. Some that do not deal with weight at all. Finances and floor plans come to mind,to name a few. And I understand what a problem it would be for someone to tell the truth about tow vehicle capacities (matched to specific size trailers), obviously "tow capacity" is not working . We can't even get truth out of major media outlets, why would we expect it anywhere else. I guess some will say they don't need big brother telling them what they can tow with,but then maybe you do. But I guess that is what freedom is for, which I whole heartily support.
Just an observation, you may return to your regular scheduled programming now
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #23
fjr vfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Are you simply trying to be funny....or do you seriously NOT get it, what I'm saying and the difference between towing a RV and a flat bed trailer?

Yeah, I think I get it and I do like to keep it lite. No need to be too serious. After all it's all just opinions and we all have them.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:28 AM   #24
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Yeah, I think I get it and I do like to keep it lite. No need to be too serious. After all it's all just opinions and we all have them.
Gotcha....I thought maybe I didn't give a clear explanation of the point I was trying to make.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
The mix and match of a proper TV for a given TT or 5er can be confusing. It would be nice to have some guidelines of official standards (sticker on the trailer) stating "this trailer should be towed by the following vehicles", but I can already hear RV dealers whining nation wide. I guess in effect that is what we try to do here and many other numerous threads like this one, but with all entries being only opinion.
And before anyone tries to lecture me on the realities of such a proposal, I get it that there are many factors that go into the equation for the "correct" TV. Some that do not deal with weight at all. Finances and floor plans come to mind,to name a few. And I understand what a problem it would be for someone to tell the truth about tow vehicle capacities (matched to specific size trailers), obviously "tow capacity" is not working . We can't even get truth out of major media outlets, why would we expect it anywhere else. I guess some will say they don't need big brother telling them what they can tow with,but then maybe you do. But I guess that is what freedom is for, which I whole heartily support.
Just an observation, you may return to your regular scheduled programming now
RMc

I think "big brother" is neck deep in vehicle safety etc. already. As far as trucks and towing, I also think we have tons of information and criteria so that an individual can study them and determine exactly what they need......IF they do it with an open mind, objectively and not with a pre-conceived outcome ie; "I've already got this truck/trailer etc. so I've GOT to make these numbers work.....some way" - which is the case far too often. As I said, the criteria is there. The problem is education of first time towers or others unaware of the available data.

My first "RV" was a shop built cab over camper. That thing was HEAVY. Dropped it in the back of a new 1969 C10 Chevy long bed. It dropped the bed badly. Added overload springs and traveled all over CO like that. I had no idea of weights, gvw, gawr etc. It was a "truck" and that camper went in a "truck". Fast forward to current days and anyone familiar with towing is usually familiar with the weights and how they interplay.

How do we fix overweight combinations? I don't think there could be a tag on a trailer that said it can be towed by a, b, or c. Too many pitfalls. Could the RV dealer be forced to require the numbers from your tow vehicle to match to the proposed RV? Yes, but then that would almost put them into some sort of "enforcement" role which they will not want to do, and then, what do you do about all the private sales??

I think in the end we are in about as good a place as we can get without letting "big brother" become too intrusive. At some point the owner HAS to have some sort of accountability for what they are doing and the choices they make. Does that leave the rest of the public at the mercy of those that won't follow the weight limitations? Yes. But, that's the way it is with everything else; driving under the influence, robbing, murder, etc. We all have to deal with those that believe the rules are "for someone else", or they will never be caught. That's the way it is in a free society and I believe will have to stay that way so that we retain freedom of choice. Those that choose to disregard the rules and then cause damage or injuries due to their negligence should then have to pay to the fullest extent of the law. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
Laredo Tugger

Your post is spot on Danny!!
Maybe we are saying the same thing here, but I like your version better.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #27
cookinwitdiesel

Great video, thanks for posting that. I had been doing a lot of that math myself without the easy to use excel (that I now have downloaded )

Pretty eye opening - also makes me feel like I should have gotten a 3500 instead of a 2500. Next truck will be a DRW 3500 no questions asked. Wife keeps eyeballing fifth wheels and that is literally NOT happening on this truck unless I lose 50 lbs, the hitch weighs nothing, and she follows in another car lol (even with a light 5er). With a high spec'd 3/4 ton, you are only looking at around 2100# of payload which does not go very far when you have 1000+ hitch weight on a loaded TT (more like 1800# on a 5er).
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #28
Zixxer2Go

I downloaded the spreadsheet from their website, and started running the numbers for various trailer/fifth wheel combos. If you'll excuse the modest pun, "very en-lightening!"
Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #29
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The manufacturers should stop posting the "can tow xXxX lb trailer", most will exceed the payload of the vehicle long before they'll tow a 30k rv.
Even if the F150 has the same GVW as the F250 I'd choose the 250 (if I were a Ford guy), it's meant to be a hauler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
And again, you guys are thinking travel trailers, both tow behind and 5vers. Flat bed trailer towing (think towing construction equipment) doesn't put the wind resistance or as much pin weight on the truck if the equipment is loaded on the trailer further back on the bed. And nowhere will you find a truck manufacturer that states a particular type trailer, such as a camping trailer......they just say "trailer". So if that flatbed trailer is loaded correctly, it could be pulled by the truck without exceeding the truck payload capacity.....camping trailers, not so much.
I tend to agree with Traveling Texan, it is all about the towing wars, but when a 3/4 ton can be listed to tow as much and in some cases more than a one ton! This is where many think a 3/4 ton will do fine for a 16,000# 5er. The one ton SRW maybe, the 3/4 ton not. They should also state on certain equipment trailers. Many think that MAX number applies to all trim levels, same with MAX payload a Laramie Limited or King Ranch will not near that, that is a stripper XL or Tradesman, but buyers don’t understand that they think that MAX number applies to all trim levels.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow