Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 05:54 AM   #1
Centex98

Outside kitchen leak

I have a 2010 Keystone Laredo Fifth Wheel, the floor in the bunk room was soft; we thought the rear window was leaking. We took it in for repairs (replace bunk room floor). We were told it was the outside kitchen leaking around the door. The floor in the kitchen is almost completely gone, major expense to replace due to tearing out the bunk and closet. We were told by repair ship it was not uncommon for the outside kitchens to leak around the door. Is this a design flaw? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance for your input!
Centex98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
mtofell

Mine has never leaked but I definitely keep an eye on it. I don't know if I'd agree that it's a common problem but pretty much anything is possible with these RVs. There are usually some indications before things get super bad as long as you are using/checking the trailer somewhat often (smell, standing water, etc.).
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Compartment door leaking at kitchen isn't any more common than leaking at basement. We find more leaks in the plumbing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We had a similar problem with leaking on our Holiday Rambler. The front entry door leaked at the top and water ran down around the door frame, saturating the floor and causing it to rot. Fortunately, HR at the time, had a 2 year warranty and the repair was covered. In campgrounds, I've noticed quite a few trailers from all manufacturers with large outside kitchen doors that serve as a "canopy" over the kitchen opening. I'd guess that almost half that are on trailers that look to be 4 or 5 years old either have "lots of goop" around the door frame (indicating attempts to stop leaks) or there are patches on the door where the "gas support rods" have either pulled out or have been beefed up to prevent further damage.

So, looking around, I'd say that yes, installing such a large door does have some problems. Whether it's a "design flaw" or a "physical limitation of such a large surface area", either way, it is a problem that really needs owner attention to stay ahead of any potential for leaks, excessive stress and the damage it might cause.

If you haven't yet, you might want to discuss the findings with your insurance agent. Many policies do cover water damage caused by situations like yours.

Good Luck with the repairs. Hopefully you can get some help with the cost from your insurance policy. I wouldn't look for much assistance from Keystone with water intrusion damage on a 7 year old trailer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Double b

Yep had same issue on our 2014 303tg TT. The factory uses screw in the hatch frame out side the seal. The screws are not sealed and water enters there.

Fortunately for us the dame was a1/4 sheet of luma to fix in the outside kitchen only.

This is a common problem on all outdoor kitchens.

Anyone who has this option, needs to seal the screw heads with dicor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Double b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak