Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
mkelly1999

Soon to be newbies

We are purchasing our first RV later this spring and will be living in it 12 months per year. Main location when not traveling is near Nashville, TN

We are currently targeting the Alpine 3450RL and are open to any suggestions from the more experienced members both on our choice and on suggestions when it comes to full time living.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
rwm1313

Have you looked at the Montana?

The Montana is also a Keystone unit in the same price range as the Alpine. May be another floor plan that works better for you also another decor to look at. Google the 3400RL or the 3665RE Montana. Good luck
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Outbackmel

Welcome and good luck

My 2 cents.....buy from a local dealer that will provide "warranty" care to your RV. We bought ours at a national show and had it delivered 550 miles only to have it arrive in the worst rain storm in 2 years. However, we were fortunate versus many other stories you will hear. (experience) Our trade was a 31ft TT versus the new 5 er. Make SURE you do the thorough RV and systems check; every single item. Read your manual. Understand HOW to get to "in line fuses". Automatic jacks, etc are known to overload easily. Don't wait until " late Fall" 2011 to figure out how to winterize. Know your freeze points and guard them. Do a short run experience and do it in the rain. If you have any "leaking" issues; 2,000 miles from home is not the time to find them....Talk to every experienced camper you can and take note. Our only issue is our cable TV port does not work. Our port for sattelite works great. Generally that's what we use. On a recent trip to Destin, FL, I ran a cable through a window. (We had not brought the DISH). Check your lug nut torque and tire pressure. Practice, practice, practice backing up. Many campgrounds are "tight" to say the least... After all that, be prepared to improvise
Life is good.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
mikell

We live in the Alpine 3640 RL and love the space. It's nice having room in the bedroom to get dressed and a night stand. Our dealer is in Bativa Ohio 5 hours but amt dealer can service your unit as long as they sell the brand. Our only problem so far is a cracked kitchen table and the new one arrived today. The weather has been cold below freezing every day for the last month and 100lbs of propane last about 3 weeks. Very wonderful unit for the price and Ohio was the cheapest by far.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
mkelly1999

We did it

We purchased our 3640 and have been full timing for a month now - we really like the design and have only had one issue and that was with a disconected hose to the central vac.

Mike
Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
n4qpcham

Get Service Anywhere? Maybe Not!

Getting service from any Keystone dealer no matter where you purchased it has some stipulations in my state. One dealer in the state will not service any Keystone RV unless you bought it from him. PERIOD. Another dealer charges you a $130.00 "administrative fee" every time you bring it in for service, if you did not purchase it from him. I saved $2500.00 on the unit cost and got an additional $4000.00 sight-unseen on my trade-in by going out of state. I like to buy local, but $6500.00 is $6500.00! If someone will stick you with a $130.00 fee because you didn't buy from him, what else will they 'find' for an additional charge? I have to drive 5.0 hours round-trip and spend about the same in gas as the "administrative fee" round trip to go see my dealer. It's worth it because they are great folks and I know it will be done right! I wonder if Keystone corporate knows about these practices with their dealers?

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
koko

All dealers can have this policy. It has nothing to do with Keystone or Forest River or anyone else. Our dealer told us they had to change their policy, because they were so busy during the summer months that customers who had purchased from them had to wait sometimes weeks for maintenance while they serviced units purchased elsewhere. They felt this was unfair. When you're on the other end of the stick and get in right away, you appreciate their thinking. From October to March they'll take anyone - just not during peak season.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

If you did not purchase your RV from them then your work order will probably be put at the bottom of the pile. Customers who did buy their unit from them will be serviced first and I am certain that Keystone knows all about this practice. I believe that while Keystone did make some effort to "encourage" dealers to perform warranty work on a more timely basis for non-purchasing customers, it's still pretty much up to each dealership to set their own policy about warranty/repair work.