Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
hobomarky

New TT owner - Keystone Forum will be most welcome

Very glad there's a KS forum for us newbies.

I (we..married) picked up a used 2005 Springdale 268 (27') a few weeks ago. So far I've been dealing with readying my tow vehicle (break controller, etc) and testing/fixing various things on the trailer (flat tire, saggy jack, bad batts, leaking black pipe.). For the poop pipe leaked, I swapped out the seals yesterday and seems to be all good now.

Sometime in the past when this guy had it, the the two batteries had melted down the eye connectors on one of the 2, and the circuit breakers were so old they cracked and fell apart when I tried to remove the cables. Been on here several times the first few weeks, and I imagine I'll be on here a lot more. I cut and re-crimped the 3 destroyed cables and replaced the 30A and 50A circuit breakers, and took a stab at the wiring setup after digging around and trying to locate anyone's setup even remotely close to my own. Found a 29' 2009 Springdale that helped, but only had 1 Circuit Breaker.

After all was said and done, I was able to pull in the slide. Does that mean I did it right? Or do I still need to be cautious?

So, here's 2 main challenges this week...

First... did I wire these batteries up correct? Any experts out there who can just tell from looking at my photos? (pix below)

Second... is towing this TT @ 5400 dry / 7800 (fully loaded) with my 2003 Toyota Tundra limited 4x4 safe? It has a v8, but I'm confused whether I should go with the weight ratings on the truck door )~6800 or manual (7400, 7800, up to 10000... couldn't decipher it to be honest) and/or trust that the WD bars will help me out if I'm over by a few 100's of lbs? I had a guy inspect it, but he was pretty sure all was well, but that's not super comforting. I want to be sure. I've read I can go up to 1000 (tongue)/10,000 overall with the WD EZ Lift helping out. I have a tranny cooler, and will use a brake controller.

Anyway, any help is appreciated and glad to be an owner of my first Keystone.

Before and after battery pix. Please let me know if I got it wired-up correctly (please). I'd hate to do this again...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2167.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2637

Name:	IMG_2168.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2638

Name:	bad.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2639
hobomarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
fla-gypsy

I only use a single 12v so I am not an expert on your set up. I will say you have done some nice looking work but be careful until you confirm the batteries are correct. here is a site about all things 12v;

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you are using 2 12v batteries, they should be wired in parallel - positive to positive and negative to negative. This way, your resulting voltage will be 12v. If they were wired in series (pos - neg, pos - neg) the end result would be 24v - not what you want.

Check to see if you have them wired in parallel.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
KanTC

hobomarky & the Mrs too, glad you joined us, and congrats on your 'new to you' Springdale.

If I may make a suggestion...?? Cut/paste your *towing question* as another post in the TOWING section, you'll get more response.
Your question is lost in the intro There's lots of (current/former) Tundra owners here who can help.

Happy trails to you & yours,
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot & DH Kevin
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
hobomarky

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

@fla-gypsy... thx for the link... I'll read after a few cups o' coffee tomorrow.

@Festus2 - wired in parallel as far as I can tell - [check]

@KanTC - I will take your suggestion...and post my weight/towing questions over in an appropriate 'towing' thread. Good idea.
hobomarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
frano

There's lots of great Tundra towing information on http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/
frano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electrical, newbie, towing capacity, weight