Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2023, 05:41 PM   #1
Meagan

Unhappy Black water leak by

I just bought a 2023 385BR and when I went to dump for the first time both tanks were barely a third full, but when I went to remove the cap to attach my hose, black water started to pour out. I was able to recap it, and upon verification both diverter’s were in the fully closed position at the convenience center. Has anyone heard of the diverter’s failing, are they easy to get to, and are there any other valves to check? I wasn’t able to get under and look at it yet, because I have to store it somewhat far away, and it didn’t come with any manuals either. (I have to download them all because - cost savings - ugh!) Any help or ideas would be appreciated, thanks!
Meagan
Meagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

First I would tell the dealer to provide the manuals whether he had to download and print them or not. Put them in a nice folder/binder along with all the other things you should receive with a new trailer.

Realize that your drain lines connect into that sewer outlet "up there". When you drain the lines then close those outlet valves there is residual water/?? that slowly drains down those lines to the drain cap - it happens and not much way to make it stop other than one of these; https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Waste-Va...iABEgJB6vD_BwE

The valve stops the residual "drippings" before it gets to the cap then you remove the cap, pull the slide handle on the valve and poof, all the drippings go down the drain and not on the ground. I would also recommend a 45 degree clear connection to go on that valve to see/know what's coming out of there; https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer-Ho...SABEgLCtPD_BwE

Edit: Please go to the user cp in the upper left corner then select edit profile. In that add year, make and model of both the RV and tow vehicle then save. I tried looking up what you have with just the number and it's just a guess. The info helps you and those trying to help you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:00 AM   #3
Meagan

Appreciate the reply. First, wasn’t sure how to edit my profile - total Luddite here, so thanks! Second, this was no leak by, this was a valve fully failed/open situation. Unfortunately because I found a deal I couldn’t pass up, I went to a camping world over 15 hours away so it’s not exactly easy to get back re manuals. I’ll make my way over to storage today or tomorrow and post amplifying pics for assistance if I can’t figure it out. Thx!
Old 06-20-2023, 05:44 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan View Post
Appreciate the reply. First, wasn’t sure how to edit my profile - total Luddite here, so thanks! Second, this was no leak by, this was a valve fully failed/open situation. Unfortunately because I found a deal I couldn’t pass up, I went to a camping world over 15 hours away so it’s not exactly easy to get back re manuals. I’ll make my way over to storage today or tomorrow and post amplifying pics for assistance if I can’t figure it out. Thx!
The "manuals that came with your trailer" will weigh about 5 or 6 pounds... It's not just a few pages of instructions... You'll have manuals for EVERY major component in your trailer from the microwave to the television. All the gas appliances, propane regulator, stereo, steps, window assemblies, water pump, axles, tires, water heater, wifi system, air conditioner, furnace, fans, lights, antenna system, slide systems, faucets, shower door and waterproof surround, holding tanks and much more are all included in that "owner's packet"...

If your dealership won't provide it, you may not have "saved a ton of money" when you need warranty work to repair a leaking holding tank valve or other service work and "nobody near you will accept your trailer for repairs"...

If I were you, I'd contact Keystone with your VIN and let them know you don't have an owner's packet and your dealership refuses to provide one. They may be able to intervene or they may just send you one based on their list of components that were used to build your trailer...

You will, through the years, definitely need the owner's manuals for those components as well as the "easy to download Keystone owner's manual" from their website.....

A word of advice, if you've got a problem with the black tank valve and it's leaking past it, the "bandaid fix" is an add on valve on the outlet... That is only a temporary fix... You really, REALLY need to get the main valve repaired while the trailer is in warranty, and during the first 90 days is the easiest to achieve. If you don't get it properly repaired, you'll likely to be facing a $400-700 repair bill if it's paid out of pocket after the warranty.... FIX IT NOW UNDER WARRANTY !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 09:06 AM   #5
Meagan

Update, after warranty work, the valves were not installed correctly and the valves were installed backwards (just have to remember grey = black and vice versa!) …. Still not corrected ��
Old 02-27-2024, 02:46 PM   #6
Martian

LOL! They weren't installed backwards, they put the black handle on the gray and the gray handle on the black. Takes about 30 seconds each to switch them as they just screw on.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:31 PM   #7
GlasNav

Or, if it is like ours, all the handles are identical, only label maker stickers stuck to the side of the lowers to indicate what is what. I've read posts on this forum where the stickers weren't on the right valve....

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:56 AM   #8
leeeep1

Valves Mis Labeled!

It seems dump valves being mis labeled is a common problem for Keystone. We have a 2022 Avalanche 378BH and the same thing happened to us! We thought we pulled a grey water valve but the black water dumped! We figured out the black water was the middle valve. The dealer said we only had two tanks, we actually have five according to Keystone. We are still trying to figure out what tanks are connected to which dump port.
leeeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak