Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2024, 09:11 AM   #1
revrusty

trouble with in command pad

I checked on my winterized camper a couple days ago and the electronic pad didn't work. I touched the screen and it lit up. I touched the spot for the lights and it showed a square around it like it activated but the lights did not come on. I tried the button in the bedroom and in the kitchen and the lights came on. the screen button also would not turn them off.
I went back today to check a little more. The screen will come on,I can enter my code and it works. It will not turn on lights, the furnace, or the water pump. It did work the slide. and the stabilizers. I also used the app on my phone and it was the same as the pad. Is there something I need to reset or kick?
Oh, I do have it hooked up to shore power and the battery reading is good.
Thanks for any advice.

2021 Ram 3500 megacab w/ cummins 6.7HO, SRW
Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
revrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:03 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Unhook the shore power, then the battery. Wait 3 minutes and then hook the battery back up. Try the screen.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:12 AM   #3
GlasNav

Just Like Microsoft OS, all else fails, REBOOT.

It works 90% of the time, iN-Command gets forgetful or the programing has issues similar to Win98 with memory leakage. As chuckster57 stated reboot!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 01:53 PM   #4
revrusty

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try soon as I can. I assume I should disconnect from the battery posts and not just use the battery disconnect switch?
Are y'all sure there isn't something I can kick!?

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-16-2024, 01:55 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

You can kick the frame, it might work….or not. Yes take the battery lead off the battery post.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:25 PM   #6
Camping family

Call in command 1800-688-3135 they will walk you through a re boot
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:29 PM   #7
revrusty

Okay thanks for the second suggestion as well. I will try the power disconnect first and take it from there. Maybe I will just do my usual frustration release and go out on the farm and shoot something! Better on my foot.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-20-2024, 02:12 PM   #8
revrusty

Thanks everyone, I disconnected the battery per instructions and everything went back to working. (I did give it a light but threatening kick on the frame, too!)
Thanks Chuckster, as always the perfect solution.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-20-2024, 08:51 PM   #9
LHaven

If the phone app fails exactly the same way as the display command screen, the problem was most likely in the BCM, the big black pod with the brains in it.
Old 02-21-2024, 03:27 AM   #10
revrusty

Ok. I didn't check the phone app after I got it working. Need to check it too.

Cougar 25 MLE , 2024
Old 02-25-2024, 10:21 AM   #11
Pete C

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrusty View Post
I checked on my winterized camper a couple days ago and the electronic pad didn't work. I touched the screen and it lit up. I touched the spot for the lights and it showed a square around it like it activated but the lights did not come on. I tried the button in the bedroom and in the kitchen and the lights came on. the screen button also would not turn them off.
I went back today to check a little more. The screen will come on,I can enter my code and it works. It will not turn on lights, the furnace, or the water pump. It did work the slide. and the stabilizers. I also used the app on my phone and it was the same as the pad. Is there something I need to reset or kick?
Oh, I do have it hooked up to shore power and the battery reading is good.
Thanks for any advice.
When that happens to our rig I turn off the main AC breaker and then turn off the battery power, wait a minute then turn on the battery and AC power, it reboots like a phone or computer and then works fine until the next time
Pete C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:40 AM   #12
Uncle Rich

Do you ever wonder what the added value I-command brings? Is it just a play toy because touch screens are in? Id rather have some simple mechanical control switches.
Uncle Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:24 PM   #13
Rdynbama

I agree with you Uncle Rich! Why complicate things that worked fine and much easier to resolve when it didn’t work?
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:52 AM   #14
Uncle Rich

I hate that I-command thing. Every time I try to turn the heat on I have to try to figure out the logic of the screen and it is not intuitive at all. Id much rather have an old thermostat on the wall I can turn on in 2 seconds. Why do I need a touchscreen to simply turn on the lights?
The only Id like to do with I command is track my solar activity but it doesn’t do that do that. You need your phone, an app, and luck. Why would Keystone just set things up so the screen can do your battery and charging monitoring? Seems like a whole bunch of technology just for the sake of technology that really doesn’t work very well at all and needs to be rebooted often like an old computer.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:14 AM   #15
Rdynbama

Bought our Raptor in 2019 , I think it was one of the first years of In-Command?
It didn’t always sync to my phone but that didn’t matter much to me. Other than that it worked fine. I recently received an email from In-Command stating I needed to update the control system. Reluctantly I did it and everything was working perfectly, it even synced to my phone like it should. But two days ago the control panel locked up and wouldn’t do anything and tried it on my phone and it said the RV was offline. I didn’t have to go through the whole disconnect battery and shore power thing. To reboot it I held in the power button on the screen until it went black and in a couple minutes it came back on and started working again. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:40 AM   #16
Uncle Rich

Yes IC is supposed to be able to link to your phone which can link to your Smart Solar and Smart shunt, but to do that you need to have a good internet connection so the camper needs to be within range of Wi-Fi or another device being used as a hotspot. I say that IC should be able to bluetooth directly to the Smart (?) devices without internet and another interface .
Old 02-27-2024, 07:47 AM   #17
GlasNav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rich View Post
I say that IC should be able to bluetooth directly to the Smart (?) devices without internet and another interface .
In Command does connect thru Bluetooth. Used it that way for the first year until moving it to where WiFi is always available!

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:56 AM   #18
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rich View Post
Yes IC is supposed to be able to link to your phone which can link to your Smart Solar and Smart shunt, but to do that you need to have a good internet connection so the camper needs to be within range of Wi-Fi or another device being used as a hotspot. I say that IC should be able to bluetooth directly to the Smart (?) devices without internet and another interface .
I've never connected my trailer or In-Command to any internet connection.
My In-Command on my phone works just fine using Bluetooth.

Even though I have the "Global Connect" version of In-Command, I've never bothered to connect the trailer to the internet, as I have no need for it.
Bluetooth is all I really need, and it works all functions just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
In Command does connect thru Bluetooth. Used it that way for the first year until moving it to where WiFi is always available!
Yep
Old 02-27-2024, 09:40 AM   #19
Uncle Rich

See thats what I mean. When you lost WiFi you lost connection from the IC to the Smart Solar and Smart Shunt. You can see those devices on the IC Bluetooth list but you cannot connect with them.
The IC should be able to Bluetooth directly to those devices without internet. The camper should be able to monitor the charging and consumption rates stand alone. Either that or hardwired to that information.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:56 AM   #20
pawpaw

Not impressed with my In Command unit either. Bring me the old school toggle switches back!!