Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
halfprice

THe 5, Grape Vine isn't a problem at all. Yes they are doing some construction but traffic moved fast. I drive this two times a year and never had a problem. Yes if there is an accident it will get backed up but in SO Cal an accident on any highway-freeway will back it up.

I drive a 2011 Chevy 2500. Up hill or down hill wasn't a problem. The truck automatically downshifts when going down hill so I don't need to apply the brakes very often.

I think more people fear the Grade Vine because of stories they heard not be their actual experience with it.

When south bound after getting off the Grape Vine I would suggest taking the 210 east then catch whatever freeway you need from there. THe 5 through downtown LA sucks.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
filmtex
Permanent User Ban

Absolutely. Great tip. Love the 210. It goes all the way through the San Gabriel Valley and ends up hitting the I-10 out in Redlands. Great shortcut around downtown LA.
filmtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
vwags

Yes if memory serves the southern side is longer and less steep than the northern side. The south side has some flat spots that level out for a bit.
vwags is offline   Reply With Quote