Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #21
geo

No, wait! Not yet!!!! Have to post some photos!!!!!

Ok, now we can get back on track. Oh, wait, there's the track!

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dudley_doright.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DoRightCast.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	1074  
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #22
Johnnyfry

Alaska trip

We too, are heading to Alaska later this spring/summer.

Someone mentioned taking the Alaska Marine Railway (aka ferry) one way.
I had that idea also and checked it out. The cost for my rig would be close to $5,500. Too rich for me! We will be driving both ways.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #23
Trixie47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
We too, are heading to Alaska later this spring/summer.

Someone mentioned taking the Alaska Marine Railway (aka ferry) one way.
I had that idea also and checked it out. The cost for my rig would be close to $5,500. Too rich for me! We will be driving both ways.

John
John, Have you decided on which route you all will be taking yet ? I keep going back and forth on mine. The deciding factor though may be the higher gas prices in Canada, henceforth, staying in the US longer by going further west to cross the border.
4x4 Turbo Diesel DRW
Husky Brake Controller

Trixie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
alaskalife

Arrow

The ALCAN (Alaska Canada Highwy) is a nice drive, but you need to be prepared, even in the summer you can find yourself hours from services, especially when you get up into the Yukon. I have done it twice now, once in winter without RV and once in summer with RV.

The ideal time to travel with an RV to AK is between Memorial Day and Labor day weekend as this is when RV Parks and other service that do not bear the winter open.

I would never recommend traveling with an RV in the winter to Alaska unless you are experienced with coming to AK. Winter here is definded as any time outside those two major holidays.

Brakes are important!!! If it's been a while, I would go ahead and service/replace pads as required. Good tires are also a must with a minimum of one good spare. Also recommend having plug repair kit and valve stem repair kit and a 12 volt tire inflator capable of inflating to 80 PSI. With all of this, you need the ability to change the tires yourself. On double axles, a 4-6" block to drive up on with the good tire and a heavy duty jack for the axle with the flat and don't forget a lug wrench. Personally, if you never changed a tire on your RV, I would do it at home before you leave just to make sure you are squared away.

If you do not have an auxillary fuel tank, I would carry extra fuel in jerry cans. I can't say an amount because I don't know your route, mileage, etc. I had 20 spare gallons for the winter ride and didn't use any of it, but never let tank below half, again no RV, and no severe weather. In the summer, I put in an auxillary fuel tank 72 gallons...so fuel was never an issue for me. Also recommend never letting your fuel tank get below half a tank and you should be fine. Spare fuel is mainly for if something happens and you need to run your rig while waiting for help but also if you miscalculate.

The road...conditions vary based on construction, but be prepared for some gravel travel, dips, heaves, pot holes, bumps, uneven road, etc. The worst of the roads is shortly after Haines Junction...up to that point the roads are likely decent. Make sure your stuff is secured inside your rig. Most heaves are marked with a red flag on the side of the road but not always. Pay attention to mountain downgrade warnings...recommend slowing to around 45 at a min before you start the decline. I had to stop a couple times because I started out too fast and brakes got too hot. Be sligtly heavy on trailer brake when downhill.

The Alaska Marine Highway / Ferry is not a viable option to save money. The ride is beautiful...can be bouncy at times, but it is expensive and the boat starts to get real small on day 2. I did the ferry on my first trip witout the RV because it was paid for...but the price was near $3,000 if I remember right and that was without the RV. I think my second trip I spent I total of $3,000 and that included flying down from Alaska to go get my RV and then drive it up all the way from Biloxi, MS

The views and wildlife are awesome...lakes, mountains, mountain sheep, bears, moose, caribou, porcipine, buffalo, etc. Posted a couple pics here...
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/tires...ml#post1133322

Food and Gas in Canada is EXPENSIVE. And leaving your guns at home will make your entry into Canada painless. You need a passport or passport card, registration and insurance for vehicle and RV. And of course a valid DL. Also, Canada is strict on who they let in...if you have a record including a DUI, Wreckless Driving, etc you may not be allowed entry. I can post that link later. If you absolutely need your guns (rifles) I can post the link later to the CBCP website...you can practically forget it with handguns.

Don't let all this information scare you...just study and plan your trip and you will be fine. Shoot away with any specific questions. Also google Travel ALCAN to find vast amounts of information. The "travel bible" is called The Milepost, you can get in on Amazon fairly cheap. It's published every year so if buying new make sure it says 2012.

Oh, and summer means extended daylight here. If you like darkness when you sleep have some type of blackouts for all windows/vents. You will start to notice the long days real good once up in the Yukon.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

alaskalife is correct when he says that fuel is expensive in Canada so you can expect to pay considerably more when you cross the border. As your fuel prices rise, so do ours but they were already higher to begin with. Some food prices are generally higher- especially dairy products and some fruits but not that much more than in some places in the U.S. Liquor, wine and beer will also cost you more but most of you would not be indulging so not to worry.
Having said that, I would guess that you would also be paying more for fuel, food, etc., in Alaska than what you are currently paying in the lower 48.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
jsmith948

Canada/Guns

One of my pet peeves is that our "cousins" from south of our border come to our country and disrespect our laws and customs - insisting on doing things the way they do it "back home".
I have been to Canada on several occasions as a commercial driver hauling produce. I normally do not go anywhere without a firearm for personal protection, but, when I rode the MV Coho from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, B.C., I would leave my firearm with the ship's purser until the return trip to the states.
Point being: respect the laws and customs of the country through which you are traveling.
I will never forget the "Mounty" that was manning the scales in New Hope when I tried to "sneak" across the lower edge of BC from the where the BC Ferries land to Oroville, Wa. He had me dead to rights, but I showed him the respect he deserved and, instead of going to jail, he allowed me to by my trip permit and I was on my way!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
Penhall

The trip should be fine... it's not the highway of the 50's anymore but remember its not a freeway either. Services are available on a regular basis but my two words of advise would be:

1. Travel on the top 1/2 of your fuel tank. Better safe than sorry.

2. SLOW DOWN and enjoy the trip, its not just the destination, its the journey.

The only section that you'll HAVE TO really take your time in getting to Alaska is the Destruction Bay to US Border - expect cracked chipseal, frost heaves and general crappy roads.

When you get to Tok, kick back, have a beer and know the roads will be better from there on.

Just my 2 cents.

Dog is my co-pilot
Penhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #28
Justvisiting2day

Alaska Highway

EHH gads are we in for it,,, My wife and I will be at the Ninilchik State Camp grounds Hosting. Thats south of Anchorage and Soldonta for those that want to fo that far. MAY -- AUG 30.
Cheers
C
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #29
28Bunkhouse

In my Canada I believe law abiding gun owners should have the right to own and transport them for legal pursuits such as hunting, target shooting and sports such as Biathalon. We are definitely not the wild west but I always feel a little more secure when I am travelling through remote wilderness when I 'm packing. Each to his own.

2011 Springdale 281

2003.5 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear air bag assist

Northern British Columbia, Canada
28Bunkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Johnnyfry

Alaska highway

Asi write this I am sitting in a campground in Seward, Alaska having driven up from the lower 48. We came up through Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper ultimately joining the Alaska highway at mile zero in Dawson Creek. We drove to Fairbanks, down to Denali park, Anchorage to Seward.

We left Dawson Creek on 15 June and arrived in Fairbanks on 25 June. Except for one washout North of Whitehorse which put us on gravel for about 6 miles, the entire highway is paved. There are frost heaves and some rather rough sections as you go north but nothing to worry about if you take it easy and stay alert. I cruise at about 58 MPH and I was pretty much able to maintain that most of the way.

Highest price for diesel was $5.71/US Gallon in Sikani Creek, BC but the average was more like $4.25-$4.50. In Alaska it is running about $4.05, as long as you try to avoid filling way out in the boondocks. Advice? NEVER pass a station with a decent price, even if you are at 3/4 full!

Once you get North, camping at impromptu pull outs is very common and usually acceptable unless a " No Camping" sign is posted. If you are not in a formal campground there are no generator hours either.

We are electing to take the Alasks ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert on the return. Price for 52 feet of 5er and TV is about $2,100 which I consider reasonable. Whittier to Bellingham would have been nice to way too pricy -- about $6,500.

Be sure and get the "Milepost" and "Camping in Alaska" by Church. These books are absolutely indispensable.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #31
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
We are not the Wild, Wild North and we do not have or want "The right to bear arms".
With all due respect I don't think that statement is fully accurate. From what I read there are many Canadians who do not like Canada's restrictive firearms laws and would like to see them changed. Saying that Canadians don't want the right to bear arms is no more correct than saying Americans do want them. It is a very controversial topic on both sides of the border.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #32
hankaye

Howdy All;

The Right to arm or disarm bears is always a sensitive subject.
Might I suggest that any further discussion be carried out in PM's
as the rest of us (reading this thread), are more interested in the
road to and from Alaska...

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep
and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against
tyranny in government."
Thomas Jefferson

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #33
Johnnyfry

Correction

I have a correction of essential books, I meant to say:

Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church. Published by Rolling Homes Press
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #34
Johnnyfry

Correction

On my earlier post concerning essential books, I meant to say:

Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church. Published by Rolling Homes Press.

Sorry for the error,

John
Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
Asi write this I am sitting in a campground in Seward, Alaska having driven up from the lower 48. We came up through Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper ultimately joining the Alaska highway at mile zero in Dawson Creek. We drove to Fairbanks, down to Denali park, Anchorage to Seward.

We left Dawson Creek on 15 June and arrived in Fairbanks on 25 June. Except for one washout North of Whitehorse which put us on gravel for about 6 miles, the entire highway is paved. There are frost heaves and some rather rough sections as you go north but nothing to worry about if you take it easy and stay alert. I cruise at about 58 MPH and I was pretty much able to maintain that most of the way.

Highest price for diesel was $5.71/US Gallon in Sikani Creek, BC but the average was more like $4.25-$4.50. In Alaska it is running about $4.05, as long as you try to avoid filling way out in the boondocks. Advice? NEVER pass a station with a decent price, even if you are at 3/4 full!

Once you get North, camping at impromptu pull outs is very common and usually acceptable unless a " No Camping" sign is posted. If you are not in a formal campground there are no generator hours either.

We are electing to take the Alasks ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert on the return. Price for 52 feet of 5er and TV is about $2,100 which I consider reasonable. Whittier to Bellingham would have been nice to way too pricy -- about $6,500.

Be sure and get the "Milepost" and "Camping in Alaska" by Church. These books are absolutely indispensable.
The gravel at the point you are talking about had nothing to do with the washout. You had unknowingly had crossed the washouts before you ever got to Whitehorse. The one area of issue north of Whitehorse, South end of Kulane Lake had never actually washed out the road just covered it in tons of rock and sand. The 6 miles you speak of is the standard ALCAN reapair project. That part of the road was in pretty bad shape from the winter and they were tearing it up to fix it.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #36
nuskovich

Does anyone recall any low overpasses (under 14') from N Dakota to Fairbanks??
nuskovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #37
Georgia Rambler

Guns

I know this is an old Topic, But, Yes you can take (some) guns thru Canada legaly. I know because I did it, Summer 2011. You need to do your Homework and research the law. You have to fill out the proper forms and declare them at the border with the paperwork, then you have only a certain time frame before you would need to resubmit them ( 3 months i believe). Its really not that difficult. Also you need to declare them in Alaska before returning home to the lower 48 so they dont asume you bought them in Canada and tax, or give you a bunch of Crap about it.
Only certain types of Guns are allowed, all others are banned, Also there are strict laws on how you transport them.

2012 Laredo 275SBH
Georgia Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #38
rayjoanlough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I'm pleased to read that you are now aware of our gun laws. When people visit Canada or any other country, the expectation is that they respect and obey their laws even though they may strongly disagree with some of them.
Obviously, you do not agree with our laws concerning guns and you believe that is sufficient reason not to come here. Fair enough.
Other than our gun laws, what other "good excuses" do you have "not to go to Canada"? If the high price of gas or diesel is one excuse, I can certainly understand your reasoning.
Festus,I have been in your area I 'think'. Went to Wells Grey Park for a few days. Lots of rain (like home) but had fun catching trout on Clearwater Lake. Thought I'd be a smart aleck and tried to order breakfast in french and was IMMEDIATELY put in my place. We had a great experience with out neighbors to the North!
Ray
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #39
Festus2
Site Team

Ray -
Many years ago, we also visited Wells Gray Park and one of the things we remember about it was the large number of tourists from Germany who were touring BC with rental RVs and this park seemed to be a magnet for them.
Even though French is one of our two official languages, very few people outside of Quebec can speak it. "Out West" in BC, no one speaks French and, without going into the social and other historical issues revolving around the Quebecois and English in Canada, ordering, or trying to order breakfast in French here in BC, would not be something I would recommend. If you were "put in your place", I am not at all surprised.
Glad to hear that your experiences in BC were enjoyable!