Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #1
Trixie47

Alaska Highway

Hoping to make the trip to Alaska this summer via the Alaskan highway. Has anyone on here traveled that route, and can you tell me if there are numerous steep grades up and down on this route ? We are newbies and wish to be prepared for what can lie ahead.....what better way then to ask fellow RV'rs !! After 24 years of two jobs the DH is retiring in June and we are going on a leisurely extended trip.
4x4 Turbo Diesel DRW
Husky Brake Controller

Trixie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Nice camper!!!!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
cmssorrell

Have to agree, I like that camper also.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie47 View Post
Hoping to make the trip to Alaska this summer via the Alaskan highway. Has anyone on here traveled that route, and can you tell me if there are numerous steep grades up and down on this route ? We are newbies and wish to be prepared for what can lie ahead.....what better way then to ask fellow RV'rs !! After 24 years of two jobs the DH is retiring in June and we are going on a leisurely extended trip.
Trixie47 -

My DW and I hope to make that journey in a few years too. I have researched it a little. One book you will want to get is written for RVers and gives a mile post by mile post description of the highway, etc. I'm sorry I can't remember the exact title right now, but I'll try to look it up and edit the title in this message. I have read that some RVers take the ocean ferry from Seattle or Vancouver to the Anchorage area. That way you only drive one way and get a cruise of the coast and islands. One can even stop along the way and camp at some of the coastal towns, and reboard the next ferry. If you are a member of Good Sam or Escapees, check their forums also.

I'll try to find that book title. Be back later.

Ron

OK, I'm back. IMHO, one book for sure you want is "The Milepost 2012: Alaska Travel Planner" by Kris Valencia. A secondary book to this might be "The Milepost 2011: Alaska Travel Planner" by Kris Valencia. The Milepost is published every year so as to give up to date and continous information about the Alaska Highway and highways within Alaska, British Columbia, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Alberta. I notice the new edition, 2012, does include some information on ferry travel. The information on Amazon states that it is 784 pages, details 30 major routes, 60 side trips, and over 100 maps. I have seen it on the shelves at local Barnes & Noble also.

If you enjoy reading travelogues, you might want to get a copy (paperback or digital) of "Queen of the Road . . ." by Doreen Orion. Ms. Orion and her husband converted a bus (not a Keystone product) and did a year long journey around North America. She has one chapter on their ferry trip up to Anchorage, through Denali, and then back through Yukon and BC.

Otherwise, there are hundreds of travel and travelogue books about traveling to Alaska. The difficult part is finding the good ones. The one book that keeps being recommended to DW and me is "The Milepost".

Happy travels and drive safely!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

I think that one of our members, "bearandjake", may have travelled this route. Try sending him a PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Wow enjoy the trip! we have been to Alaska 4 times never in an rv but some day. Alaska is full of mountans and moose. have good brakes!. but what most lower 48 people do not know is you also need to look upward as you drive also. in Alaska aircraft have the right of way on roads. Most small aircraft use auto fuel and you will see gas staions have no canopies. i am a pilot and have flown there. it is a strange feeling to land on a highway and to taxi along with cars. it is a beautiful state and in the summer the mosquito becomes the national bird as well as the cessna and piper cub. enjoy your trip!!!! Barney and Christine
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Don't Take Your Guns to Town

This past summer, two senior couples from California set off in a motorhome to Alaska to celebrate a wedding anniversary. When they came to the Canadian Customs at the border, they were asked if they had any firearms. Their response was "No, we don't". For some reason, the Canadian Customs fellow sensed that this wasn't correct, asked them to pull over and their motorhome was searched.

As it turns out, he was right. The search turned up a rifle and two handguns. The owner of the guns was whisked off to jail where he spent 5 weeks; and after paying a $50000 fine, he was released.

Asked why he had taken the guns with him, he replied that he had been told by his southern friends that the northern parts of Canada are still like the days of the Wild, Wild West and you would need them for protection against the Indians and bears.

Americans are allowed to transport guns across our border but not for "personal protection" against Indians and bears or any of the other wild creatures that roam our streets and cities. With special permits for hunting and other specified reasons, they can be legally transported.

So, unless you plan on doing some hunting along the way and have applied for and received special permits, ............"Don't take your guns to Canada". We are not the Wild, Wild North and we do not have or want "The right to bear arms".
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

I never travel with my guns they are safe unfireable when i am gone. and i can't afford that fine yikes!!!!. but i do believe in the right to bear arms and arm bears if some one wants to hunt them. how many hunters would there be if they could shoot back? lol. ps i do carry at work i have pulled it during a robery attempt. they got smart and left. So Ted Kennedy's car has still killed more people than my guns.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
rebelfan

I don't post alot, but do read the forums sometimes and I do have to say that's good to know about no guns in Canada. I totally believe the right to bear arms so another good excuse not to go to Canada!
rebelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
SAABDOCTOR

NA Canada is beautiful been there several times never needed a gun everyone i met was nice! even the bears!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
gbsb

We went to Alaska last year. It is a long and expensive trip the price of fuel is a lot higher than in the states the price of food is higher than in the states. A lot higher. There is a lot of beautiful things to see the mountains are beautiful. There is lots of animals to see on the side of the road. We saw Bears, moose, horses, stone sheep, buffalo. A lot to see glaciers, creeks, woods, lakes. Then there is the highway its self, a lot of gravel alot of frost heaves, some real rough spots, go slow. Watch your fuel, stations can be few and far between. We went with a new toyhauler it got beat up pretty bad a lot of stone damage on camper and truck, broken windshield on truck and stone chips in paint. then the mosquitos, we were in the north pole at a campground and could not set outside for them they were nasty. We used the mile post book it was a good guide and very informative. We did not dothe ferrys we were told they were very expensive but did nor check it out so can not say. We were glad to get back to the lower 48 but we went to fast trying to get there. We left Texas June the 3rd and got back November 1st. Traveled over 15,000 miles and had no problems a great trip. Just be prepared for the unexpected, leave your firearms in the states, and be polite at the border crossings. We had no problems with the boarder went right threw they looked at our passports the healthrecords for our pet and ask about firearms and how long we would be there, what was our busniess, and if we had any fresh fruit or vegetables. Enjoy retirement and your travels. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Trixie47

Wink

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We do not have any guns so that will not be a problem. I have gotten the "2012 Milepost" and I bought the Woodalls Parks and Campgrounds guide. I have on order the "Exit Now". I am pretty well covered with books....I did see a few entries in the Milepost of some steep grades. I love the mountains, just don't like the steep grades up or down, love to see them in my distance !! Gas prices are one of my main concerns...Also have read up on the ferry system and see they charge by the foot, at 38' 7'', not an option as it is quite expensive to begin with so I understand. Hope to see you fellow campers on our trek's across country. ENJOY
4x4 Turbo Diesel DRW
Husky Brake Controller

Trixie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelfan View Post
I don't post alot, but do read the forums sometimes and I do have to say that's good to know about no guns in Canada. I totally believe the right to bear arms so another good excuse not to go to Canada!
I'm pleased to read that you are now aware of our gun laws. When people visit Canada or any other country, the expectation is that they respect and obey their laws even though they may strongly disagree with some of them.
Obviously, you do not agree with our laws concerning guns and you believe that is sufficient reason not to come here. Fair enough.
Other than our gun laws, what other "good excuses" do you have "not to go to Canada"? If the high price of gas or diesel is one excuse, I can certainly understand your reasoning.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 AM   #14
rebelfan

I to strongly agree to respect gun laws and I do appreciate you letting me know about your gun laws. That was just a "saying" that the gun laws was another reason for not going to Cananda.
Have to say after hearing other posters commenting on the higher gas prices that would hurt as well.
Guess the main reason these days would be the lenght and time to make a journey like that living in the lower 48.

Being in the security business and knowing how anything anytime could happen the way the world has gotten. I like having my rights to bear arms. Not saying I keep it on my side all the time, but I sure do sleep better!!!

Canada not having any crime might be a good place to visit.

Travel Safe and watch you back!
rebelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
Halibutman214

Taking a gun into Canada

I just found this forum this morning and decided to join as I pick up my new Passport 2650BH tomorrow morning and thought I might be able to get some good info as well as contribute to this forum. This thread peaked my interest as we leave for Alaska in July and will be spending about a month there. While I don't want to dispute something on my very first post I must say that taking long guns through British Columbia (it could be different in every province) is really quite simple. You fill out the proper form, claim the gun at the border and your on your way. Not sure where this other info is coming from but it is incorrect.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Halibutman214:
I'm not sure what "other incorrect info" you are referring to, but in my post I did say that guns can be legally transported across into Canada providing the person has filled out the necessary paper work and has had it approved. I believe my statement is correct as written and is essentially no different than yours.

I wrote:
"With special permits for hunting and other specified reasons, they can be legally transported".
"Americans are allowed to transport guns across our border but not for personal protection......"

The intent of my post was to inform travellers coming to Canada from the US that our gun laws are different and that a person just can't front up at the border with guns - long or short - and expect to be given the green light nor can they carry sidearms on their person while here. A special, short-term permit is also required from the RCMP if you transport them in your vehicle. You are correct in saying that certain types of long guns are permitted providing you have proper documentation and have declared them and it isn't that complicated.
These laws do not vary from province to province. Border security, customs and immigration are all federal jurisdictions not provincial.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #17
Halibutman214

No offense to you but clearly what you said was misinterpreted by the quote, "I do have to say that's good to know about no guns in Canada". I was simply making the point that it is easy to get guns into Canada if you follow the rules. Geez I hope all this talk about guns and Canada doesn't bring the CIA down on me.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #18
Halibutman214

My Alaska trip has been two years in the making. I have did a lot of research as well as talked to my brother who has made the trip MANY times. The road these days is not as bad as some would have you believe. Typically (depending on weather) most of the frost heaves have been repaired by July but it seems there is always construction going on somewhere and yes there are always a rock or two that windshields seem to attract.
Let me also say this thread got derailed REALLY bad and I apologize to trixie47 for my part in it. If any of you are curious about taking a gun into Canada all of the "official" info can be found at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Halibutman214........
Your worry should be with Dudley Do Right of the RCMP, not the CIA. He always gets his man! We should be back on the rails now.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Halibutman214........
Your worry should be with Dudley Do Right of the RCMP, not the CIA. He always gets his man! We should be back on the rails now.
Dudley Do Right - AKA - Festus2 ............... Sorry, You know "The devil makes me do things."

Now we can get back on track!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote