Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
AlCherry

Generator Exhaust

The exhaust of my genset is vented out to the right side of the trailer. Can I turn the exhaust and vent it out the left side? As you know, the right side is the enjoyment area, and the smell of the exhaust and the heat make the area uncomfortable. Any ideas?
My Thor is vented out the left side.
06 Harley Sportster (Frankenstein) Trike (wife)
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
AlCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
linebiker

I did this to my Raptor 299. I removed hangers and the two bolts connecting to motor, took it to a muffler shop and had a 90 bent where it goes forward then to left side of camper. On mine that gets it away from propane and water heater some. You can actually just turn it 180 degrees from where it is at if that would work for you.

If you look up underneath you may see that there is a coupling where a two bolt exhaust flange clamps on to pipe...mine loosened up so I could adjust it maybe you will be fortunate too.

This worked for me and is better for exhaust stack mounting. Awning got in way on other side. Other posts I have read from people doing this has all been positive.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
campingcpl

You can but code says it has to be 3' away from any combustable and any opening that goes to the interior of the unit (windows,doors,etc.). So if your LP tanks are on the left side you will want to make sure that your exhaust exit's atlease 3' from your LP tanks.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
AlCherry

Good answers. I'll look at my propane tanks and any openings. I also was thinking about loosening the header bolts and spinning it around , then chopping it off. Thanks.
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
Old 09-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
AlCherry

After studying the exhaust system and motor, I went ahead and spun the exhaust around to the left side. I was able to cut 4 ft from the system, and still was able to leave 4" hanging out beyond the left side of the trailer.
The backpressure of the exhaust is all in the muffler, so there is no jetting and tuning issues. The pipe is just a vent for the exhaust. The pipe was about 6" from the propane line the whole distance across the bottom of the RV, they ran parallel. The pipe is acually further away from the line now. As a added precaution, I wrappped the exhaust pipe with exhaust wrap I use on the pipes on my drag bike. After letting it run for a couple of hours, I was able to hold onto the pipe with my bare hand for a unlimited time with no discomfort. It was just about as hot as hot water.
Now the pleasure area is cool, no hot air circulating around with the exhaust smell, and the noise from the generator is almost non existant. The interior of the RV is cooler, too. Most of the heat from the long pipe is gone.
What I've done is from my research and studying the system I have. Before you modify your system, please look it over real good before making any changes.
07 Harley FLHTC (mine)
4cam promod dragbike
SFC (ret) US Army
Old 10-03-2011, 03:36 AM   #6
Retired CSIGuy

Exaust

Just be carfull NOT to shorten it so as the end of the pipe is under your trailer. It needs to stick out past the side of the trailer as far as possible. Another option which a friend of mine did to his Raptor with the same problem, is the vertical exaust extention kit. Works great as the exaust and noise are way overhead
Retired CSIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote