Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #21
Jetfixer03

Wow, that would be an adventure. Officially added to the wish list. Good luck, be safe, have fun!
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #22
Desert185

Another US CBP story.

When coming back to America at Bellingham airport with my airplane, they ask if I have any firearms or knives. I say yes. Abhorrent with the info, she asks if Canada knows that. I say yes. She asks why I have them. "Well, because if my engine quits and I survive the landing I can't call 911, AAA or a cab. I'm now in a survival situation. If I or my wife is injured and bleeding I may have to protect ourselves from predatory animals until rescued." Blank stare...

The Canadians seem to understand the requirement, although I am sometimes asked why I have a firearm. Mentioning that I might be low on cash and have to knock over a liquor store is not the answer they're looking for.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
MerlinB

Last summer I traveled to the Canadian Maritime provinces with a caravan group. One of the couples had a shotgun and they had the required Canadian paperwork to cross the border with it. However, when they attempted to pass through Customs they were not allowed to bring the shotgun because it was not "hunting season." They had to go back to the last town before the border and they were able to find a hardware store that was willing to store it for them until we returned. So, having the permit is not always the complete answer.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

When we were stationed in Alaska in the Air Force we were not allowed to transport private firearms through Canada when driving to Alaska or when returning to the lower 48 after serving in Alaska. All firearms had to be shipped "in household goods" or in "advance hold baggage" to our next duty station. I often wondered why it was "OK" for some unknown truck driver to transport my firearms and I couldn't transport them myself. I asked the question several times and never got any answer other than the "proverbial shoulder shrug".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #25
Steve S

The last time that I was in Canada I bought a few handguns off of a guy who was hanging around a liquor store and looking pretty shady. He asked me why I needed the guns and my answer was " I'm from the US and I'm afraid of ghosts and I hear that there's lots of them up this way" He said oh" You're from the States!" He understood and sold me the guns.
I've lived all over Canada and I'm still looking for these ghosts that ya all afraid of and I've never seen one! lol!
Relax, this is Canada not the US, we don't carry nor do we have the need too.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

And yet again a thread turns into a "You guys from the states and your guns". Please, this is not the place to point fingers across the border either from the states or from Canada. So, a bit of self restraint in personal opinions can go a long LONG way toward not making relations on the forum difficult.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #27
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
The last time that I was in Canada I bought a few handguns off of a guy who was hanging around a liquor store and looking pretty shady. He asked me why I needed the guns and my answer was " I'm from the US and I'm afraid of ghosts and I hear that there's lots of them up this way" He said oh" You're from the States!" He understood and sold me the guns.
I've lived all over Canada and I'm still looking for these ghosts that ya all afraid of and I've never seen one! lol!
Relax, this is Canada not the US, we don't carry nor do we have the need too.
Tell that to the bears and wolves.

I am very fond of Canadians, BTW. Always enjoy the Canadian experience whether its BC, YT, Alberta or Toronto. Very sad to see Brenda at customs in Penticton retire. Delightful woman.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #28
Bumala

It's funny, and times may have changed since I was twelve (fifty one years ago), but my dad brought all of his guns through Canada on our way to Alaska. The only thing they required was the guns be rendered inoperable. As I recall, they put a special tywrap through the breach of each gun. I have no guns, so I have no idea, nor inclination to find out.

I lived in Alaska for a number of years, and never felt the need for a gun. I was never attacked by wildlife, and none of my friends have been attacked.

We're truly jazzed about heading up. This is going to be a great adventure. I will be chronicling it www\\bumala.com.
http:\\www.Bumala.com
Bumala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #29
Bumala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
My wife is a third generation homesteader from Palmer/Wasilla. The Reeder's, if that sounds familiar.
I remember the Reeders. I went to school with Curt Reader, if that's any relation.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And yet again a thread turns into a "You guys from the states and your guns". Please, this is not the place to point fingers across the border either from the states or from Canada. So, a bit of self restraint in personal opinions can go a long LONG way toward not making relations on the forum difficult.
I'm not pointing fingers John nor did I. I just don't understand the love for guns and the need to pack one when coming to Canada. Anyone can simply do a search and understand what our rules are without the " guns and Canada " issues being brought up at every given moment. If people don't like the fact that we don't carry guns nor do we want them here then it's simple, stay at home! lol!
A long gun for protection is understandable when off grid for survival, I even own two of them which I take when I head up country. I've never used it in all of these years for protection. I'd rather take a pic of the wildlife than shoot it unless I'm hunting and I use every scrap of the carcass and it's pelt.
But the talk of handguns?? Let's at least agree that packing a handgun across the border is a little far fetched don't you think?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:08 PM   #31
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumala View Post
I remember the Reeders. I went to school with Curt Reader, if that's any relation.
Different family. Not a relation.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #32
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I'm not pointing fingers John nor did I. I just don't understand the love for guns and the need to pack one when coming to Canada. Anyone can simply do a search and understand what our rules are without the " guns and Canada " issues being brought up at every given moment. If people don't like the fact that we don't carry guns nor do we want them here then it's simple, stay at home! lol!
A long gun for protection is understandable when off grid for survival, I even own two of them which I take when I head up country. I've never used it in all of these years for protection. I'd rather take a pic of the wildlife than shoot it unless I'm hunting and I use every scrap of the carcass and it's pelt.
But the talk of handguns?? Let's at least agree that packing a handgun across the border is a little far fetched don't you think?
Steve S,

You know the sensitivities you touch when you comment about guns. You have been cautioned that laws are different in Canada and the US and that the feelings of many members are different on the subject of guns, gun ownership and carrying a firearm for protection. NOWHERE has anyone spoken of "ghosts" (except you) and nowhere has anyone been critical of Canadian law. We (me included) have posted the difference and/or the limitations of travelling in or through Canada, but nobody has "made negative comments" or "made light" of the differences between the two countries. Nobody, except you. It seems that at every opportunity you make negative comments about US citizens exercising their lawful right to own and to carry a firearm. It's not appropriate for you to criticize our laws any more than it's appropriate for us to criticize your laws. I don't remember (if you have an example, please share it) where anyone has posted negative comments about Canadian laws or about Canadian citizens "being afraid of ghosts" or other "nonsensical, rude comments".

As with your comment that "If people don't like Canadian laws, just stay home" the same can be said about US law. If you don't like the way US law is structured, just don't come south and please, don't comment negatively about it. Your comments won't change US law, all they do is make people feel negatively about your thoughts.

So, as with the requests that have been sent privately in PM's to you about the subject, I'm asking publically that you please refrain from creating negativity on the forum by posting disparaging comments about another country, its laws, its citizen's and their rights. The situation won't change by your activism and it causes stress, anger and negativity in an otherwise friendly topic on the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #33
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Steve S,

You know the sensitivities you touch when you comment about guns. You have been cautioned that laws are different in Canada and the US and that the feelings of many members are different on the subject of guns, gun ownership and carrying a firearm for protection. NOWHERE has anyone spoken of "ghosts" (except you) and nowhere has anyone been critical of Canadian law. We (me included) have posted the difference and/or the limitations of travelling in or through Canada, but nobody has "made negative comments" or "made light" of the differences between the two countries. Nobody, except you. It seems that at every opportunity you make negative comments about US citizens exercising their lawful right to own and to carry a firearm. It's not appropriate for you to criticize our laws any more than it's appropriate for us to criticize your laws. I don't remember (if you have an example, please share it) where anyone has posted negative comments about Canadian laws or about Canadian citizens "being afraid of ghosts" or other "nonsensical, rude comments".

As with your comment that "If people don't like Canadian laws, just stay home" the same can be said about US law. If you don't like the way US law is structured, just don't come south and please, don't comment negatively about it. Your comments won't change US law, all they do is make people feel negatively about your thoughts.

So, as with the requests that have been sent privately in PM's to you about the subject, I'm asking publically that you please refrain from creating negativity on the forum by posting disparaging comments about another country, its laws, its citizen's and their rights. The situation won't change by your activism and it causes stress, anger and negativity in an otherwise friendly topic on the forum.
To piggy back on to what John succinctly stated I would add this thought and request for the Americans on this site: LET It Go! There is zero need to stand up and sling mud or defend yourselves or our rights. Forum arguments change nothing except to get everyone fired up and in a pissy mood. Just move on, there's nothing to see here. Now, go outside and play nice with each other, said in a stern Momma's voice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:52 AM   #34
gearhead

If I EVER again combine the two words "Canada and firearms" in a post please delete it. Jeez the intolerance.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #35
Steve S

Quote:
Steve S,

John,

I was simply pointing out a few things about handguns and it's just a simple thing to leave them at home. The American laws and the Canadian border laws have changed big time since Trump did his thing.
As I stated, " Bring your long guns " If you actually plan to camp off grid in certain places in BC I wouldn't suggest to our American friends to bring bear spray as you'll be dead, no joke you'll be dead. Also as I've stated I've never had to shoot any animal in self defence but some of the places that I go I sure as hell wouldn't be without my guns. I have pics here somewhere that show what a single very mad bear did to a trailer, it actually tore it to shreds and killed the guy in it. If he had a 12 gauge he'd be alive today.
I'm honestly not trying to start an argument with anyone or to piss off my American neighbors. I've watched the Canadian border shows and it's amazing what happens if you're caught trying to bring across handguns or even ammo for a handgun and it's not worth it. They not only take everything they also send you back and you can't return until you pay a huge fine and fill out a pile of paperwork which as we all know isn't any fun!
I apologize if I pissed anyone off as this wasn't my intentions at all. Is that cool with everyone?
Oh one last thing John, what did you mean by people sending me pm's as I've received 0?
Old 06-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #36
vampress_me

To maybe get this back on track.

Bumala, I hope you have a blast driving up to Alaska this summer. That has been a dream of mine, to see Alaska, for many years. My hubby lived up there for a while as a kid, and doesn't necessarily see the need to go back. Sigh... But, we shall have to see what persuasion can be used to get him and our camper up there some year!

Enjoy! And no busting this year!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #37
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
To maybe get this back on track.

Bumala, I hope you have a blast driving up to Alaska this summer. That has been a dream of mine, to see Alaska, for many years. My hubby lived up there for a while as a kid, and doesn't necessarily see the need to go back. Sigh... But, we shall have to see what persuasion can be used to get him and our camper up there some year!

Enjoy! And no busting this year!
Omg don't sit around and think about it just do it. It's such an enjoyable trip and every time we went it was always different.
We've been there with truck and trailer, just the truck and the last trip I went alone with just a tent. So many people think that it's a gravel road up there but it's not. Years ago with our first beat up RV we would have 6 spares as we needed them as the roads were horrendous but now you can hardly feel a bump on the way up there.
It's one of the most peaceful trips that we've ever been on and everything changes with each trip.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #38
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Going on an Alaska cruise a year from August. Just don't have the time off to do a camping trip up there...yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #39
Bumala

We are really looking forward to our trip. Only three days. First stop is Donner summit. You know it's different seeing Alaska as a Tourist. I grew up there, in Palmer. We laughed at all the tourist watching the salmon spawning by the roadside. Now I think it would be kinda cool.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Watch the weather reports. Just had rain and snow and mud slides. Drive safe and enjoy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote