Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
msp2jxr

When I was a kid my grandfather had 64 Caddy that ran on propane. Lucky for us we didn't have any tunnels to worry about.
I do have one tunnel here in Minnesota to be concerned about. My understanding is the limits here are higher and most RV's meet the requirement and are able to pass through.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by msp2jxr View Post
When I was a kid my grandfather had 64 Caddy that ran on propane. Lucky for us we didn't have any tunnels to worry about.
I do have one tunnel here in Minnesota to be concerned about. My understanding is the limits here are higher and most RV's meet the requirement and are able to pass through.
(Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container.) Most trailers carry two 30lb containers so under these regulations are restricted from these bridges and tunnels.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #23
tanman32225

virginia laws are? Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 45 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum combined length for two-vehicle combination 65 ft. Riding is allowed in truck campers. Overnight parking in rest areas is permitted unless posted otherwise. RVs allowed in the HOV-3 (carpool) lanes if there are three or more occupants. In the Tidewater area, RVs are allowed in the HOV-2 lanes only if there are two or more occupants and the gvw is less than 10,000 lbs. Tunnel Regulations: Maximum height 13 ft 6 in. Maximum of two approved propane gas tanks 20 lbs. each. Tanks must be turned off when going through tunnels.
RV Safety Requirements: All trailers: safety chains. Trailers over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes, breakaway switch. State Driving Laws: Right turn on red allowed, unless posted otherwise. Wipers on/lights on. Front-seat passengers are required to wear seat belts; children up to 5 yrs. must be in child-restraint safety seats. Radar detectors not permitted.

Maryland laws are: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 40 ft; maximum trailer length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.6 ft.; maximum combined length for two vehicles 55 ft.; triple-towing allowed unless overall length exceeds 55 feet. Riding allowed in truck campers. Overnight parking in rest areas allowed unless posted otherwise.
RV Safety Requirements: Over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes, breakaway switch and safety chains required. Tunnel Regulations: Trailer hitch must be reinforced or braced to frame of towing vehicle. Safety chains must be attached to frame of towing vehicle and not to pintle hook. No propane tanks in tunnels.
State Driving Laws: Wipers on/headlights on. Right turn on red allowed, unless posted otherwise. At least two riders for carpool lane.

It appears you can take tanks one way but not the other.. hmmmm strange.
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #24
captbob

I looked this up when I was going through the area and found the limit was 100lbs, but when I just looked at the regulation I found this statement.

11.07.01.04. 04 Tunnel Restrictions.. A. This regulation does not apply to fuel contained in the fuel system of the transporting vehicle, or in the fuel systems of vehicles and equipment being towed or carried.B. Flames used for heating vehicles or loads shall be extinguished before the vehicle enters any tunnel or its approaches.C. The following classes of hazardous materials are prohibited from being transported through any tunnel or its approaches, as indicated:
captbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:48 AM   #25
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
This is copied directly from the Maryland State web page:

The Transport of Hazardous Materials Across our Toll Facilities

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.

Visit the Division of State Documents' website at www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/ to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

As stated above use I-695 as a get around. I prefer the western route (Towards Townsend) sp.??? seems shorter and less hills. This will only add about 12 miles to your trip. Always check with the governing authority for any highway restrictions and don't listen to folks that say "My friend does it all the time" or "I do it." If you have my kind of luck YOU WILL GET "In a heap of trouble for sure boy". JM2¢, Hank
I realize this is an old thread - while researching propane restrictions in preparation for our trip to N.J., read in the 'rules of the road' section in our Woodall's that "open propane cylinders are not allowed while traveling on open highways" in N.J. We always travel with the refer on gas. Can one of our N.J. members confirm this rule?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #26
gearhead

Good grief, do you have to have a law degree and library to drive through New Jersey? If they don't have a sign that an old blind man can read, I'm driving through there with the fridge on.
Or not driving through NJ at all.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

x2 ^^^^ NJ is way too "out there" for me on laws - I'll try to bypass if possible.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #28
Pull Toy

(HINT From a former LEO... it's a no brainer.)

They call them 30 pounders for a reason.... If it looks like a duck.... etc.

12 miles + 1 gallon of fuel = 20 minutes Detour and no hassle = GOOD DAY!

1 Inspection + 1 turnaround + One HEFTY fine + Unknown delay = Bad Day

(Also expect a bumper to bumper Safety inspection, jus because)

REALLY?

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote