Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
Duramike

Sensitive Smoke Detector

Hey everyone. Our RV is a 2018 Sprinter 334FWFLS 5er. We have an issue with the smoke detector in the kitchen area. This detector seems to be way too sensitive. It goes off when making toast, frying eggs, frying bacon, and even sometimes when warming items in the microwave. I don’t want to take it out of service for safety reasons. I thought about moving it out of this area but unsure if it is hardwired or battery. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Duramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
busterbrown

That's pretty typical of an RV smoke detector located near the cooktop surface and microwave. Ours has gone off plenty of times when making popcorn in the microwave or when cooking on our electric skillet. What remedied our sensitive detector was the installation of a MaxxAir fan in the vent opening next to the stove. Turning it on to the lowest setting has eliminated the problem. Others have relocated the detector farther away from the kitchen with similar results.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

The vast majority of RV smoke detectors are 9V battery operated. You can move it, just have to deal with the screw holes left over.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
rhagfo

They do make less sensitive smoke detectors for use in Kitchens. Go look at HD or Lowe’s.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Frank G

If you are looking at new smoke detectors we just installed some 10 year life, with NO battery change units. At the end of 10 years You just replace them. Picked them up at HD.

We turn on the kitchen fan when cooking, we always leave the small window open in the bedroom 24/7 these units have to breathe.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
Steveo57

Yep ours have always done that, especially when my wife is cooking... But the new one has a button on it that you can hit when it goes off to silence it for a while. Used to have to pull it down and take the battery out!
Old 02-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
SummitPond

We "uncouple" the detector from it's base and toss it on the little ledge behind the dinette cushion, then put it back in its place after we have finished cooking.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
We "uncouple" the detector from it's base and toss it on the little ledge behind the dinette cushion, then put it back in its place after we have finished cooking.
This ^ Except it just hangs open from the ceiling as a reminder to put the battery back before we go to bed.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
Duramike

Many fixes to choose from. The ceiling is so tall in the kitchen area of our 5er that a ladder is required to reach the detector. We will probably opt for a permanent fix due to this. May look for the less sensitive detector mentioned above. If that does solve the problem I will simply relocate to different area. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Number 4

I do think the current smoke detectors are more sensitive now. I have to take down the detector in the hallway every morning at home or when I open the shower door the steam will set it off! Didn't even know that was possible, be careful with those hot showers in your TT.
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #11
BulletOwner1

If it's hard wired I'd leave it in place, disable it, and install a 10 year battery operated one elsewhere.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #12
johnlewis

A smoke detector in the kitchen doesn't make sense, anyway. Their intent is to let you know there is a fire when you are sleeping. No one installs smoke detectors near the kitchen any more in bricks & sticks, because they are too easily tripped by cooking, and they aren't needed nearly as much to warn you of a fire while you are awake. I don't know why RV manufacturers think they need to install them in kitchens.
Make sure you have a smoke detector in your bedroom, as near the entry point to the bedroom as practical. Also, if you can, close the door to the bedroom (making sure the smoke detector is on the bedroom side of the door). The closed door means the fire won't get into the bedroom as quickly, giving you more time to get outside.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post
A smoke detector in the kitchen doesn't make sense, anyway. Their intent is to let you know there is a fire when you are sleeping. No one installs smoke detectors near the kitchen any more in bricks & sticks, because they are too easily tripped by cooking, and they aren't needed nearly as much to warn you of a fire while you are awake. I don't know why RV manufacturers think they need to install them in kitchens.
Make sure you have a smoke detector in your bedroom, as near the entry point to the bedroom as practical. Also, if you can, close the door to the bedroom (making sure the smoke detector is on the bedroom side of the door). The closed door means the fire won't get into the bedroom as quickly, giving you more time to get outside.
Smoke detectors are installed based on the RVIA codes that are mandated by the industry. If your RV has an RVIA sticker on the outside, then it is "supposed to meet" all RVIA building standards. That includes a smoke detector located within X feet (I think it's 10') of every gas appliance/heat producing device. That's why it's on the ceiling, usually "centered between the furnace and the stove"... That same RVIA standard requires that every exit be clearly marked. That's why there's a 2"x6" red EXIT sticker over the only door out of your RV.

I agree with you, there "should be" a smoke detector in each sleeping area, and if there is a closing door, one on the outside of the door leading into all sleeping areas. But, that isn't the RVIA standard, there is seldom a smoke detector in the bedroom, although many CO detectors are "dual purpose" and are actually CO/smoke detectors.

RVIA is better than "nothing" but parts of the RVIA code are much too slow to evolve. As an example, the recent "long overdue" requirement that tires have some capacity above the bare minimum to carry the trailer GVW. Smoke detectors are a part of that code, some think it should evolve others are satisfied with the current position on safety devices.

Anyway, don't blame Keystone directly (they have representatives on the RVIA board) but blame the industry that created the RVIA code for all to follow.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post

I want my smoke detectors outside my bedroom door, especially in the RV. If you close the door and then wait for the fire/smoke to get bad enough to get through the door and set off the detector you very well might not make it anywhere. It IS an RV and will burn quickly and my bedroom sits right beside my propane tanks - I want out as soon as possible. Plus, if you install it on the ceiling in the bedroom and then have to leave it far enough inside to be able to open/close the door it just made the situation much worse. Just something to think about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #15
snelson600

Sensitive Smoke Detector

For several years, I would just place a small fan aimed toward the detector when making toast. That worked well to disperse the smoke (unseen) from the detector. But then last year we installed a Maxxair fan (with a remote) where a skylight had been. Works like a charm!
snelson600 is offline   Reply With Quote