Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #61
Dave-Gray

John, your words and points are right on the weight of the matter. So often I see responses or advice freely given without asking the most important questions. Just because "Family A" has towed it for years does not mean "Family B" can safely do the same.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4, Dually, 6.7L Diesel, K&N cold air intake system, B&W Gooseneck with 5th Wheel Companion, Firestone Air Bags
SOB: 09 Toy Hauler with Trail Air Tri Glide Air Ride Pin Box.
Dave-Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:08 AM   #62
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Thanks John.

When I first joined, I figured I was good with the weights. After being
I did the only thing I can at this point. Better shocks, better tires on TT, weigh the rigs and everything that goes into them and ensure that the load is balanced (bought a tongue weight scale), check pressures.
It's all I can do.
Pretty much the same for me. Curious tho, How do you like those Bilstein shocks.. Im thinking about going to those instead of Monroe's or Rancho's

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #63
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
Pretty much the same for me. Curious tho, How do you like those Bilstein shocks.. Im thinking about going to those instead of Monroe's or Rancho's
I haven't towed with them yet, They were well reviewed by people that towed. I mainly got them for the day to day, and that has improved, I am looking forward to seeing how they do when hooked up.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #64
Ken / Claudia

John it was a good idea to start this thread. I have 2 points to add my thoughts.
I do not encourage anyone in face to face talk or on the web to do something that is illegal and or in my opinion something that is unsafe. None on here should encourage others on here to do anything unsafe or illegal. Even if they do it themselves. Anyone who prints I do it and it tows fine regarding overloaded, speeding etc. is very bad advice.
What they beleive is good may not be safe at all.
Other point is many newbies ask a question, but it is not the full question or right idea about their problem and I am glad some on here including me steer them to what really is needed to be asked or talked about.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #65
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
John it was a good idea to start this thread. I have 2 points to add my thoughts.
I do not encourage anyone in face to face talk or on the web to do something that is illegal and or in my opinion something that is unsafe. None on here should encourage others on here to do anything unsafe or illegal. Even if they do it themselves. Anyone who prints I do it and it tows fine regarding overloaded, speeding etc. is very bad advice.
What they beleive is good may not be safe at all.
Other point is many newbies ask a question, but it is not the full question or right idea about their problem and I am glad some on here including me steer them to what really is needed to be asked or talked about.
Ken,

To go "just a step further" on your comments, a few "heavy towers" (those who do it anyway, knowing their overweight) have enough experience to know their limits and, for the most part, avoid a situation that might cause a problem. When they tell a new owner, "Sure, you'll be OK, I do it all the time" they are making an assumption that the new owner has their same years of experience, know to never tow in winds above XX MPH, always tow at speeds lower than XX, allow double the expected distance from the vehicle in front of them, brace for every 18 wheeler that's about to pass you, tap the brake control to help avoid sway as that 18 wheeler passes, never steer against the sway and a host of other "I learned through the years how to make it work for me".... What the newcomer reads is, "I do it, you'll be OK" and when they get out on the highway with their family in the tow vehicle, get passed by an 18 wheeler on the right with a 30 MPH crosswind while doing the speed limit of 70MPH, well all HELL breaks loose and they damn near wind up in the ditch. Some actually do wind up "in the ditch" and I certainly wouldn't want it to be because of something I told them that I do "all the time".....

Just as nobody would want to be a passenger on a transcontinental 757 with a pilot who has only flown a Cessna 172 on his first flight, few of us ought to be suggesting that a "Cessna 172 pilot" would be OK towing something like a 757....

Sounds like you and I have much the same thoughts about experience levels, ability, equipment ratings and what we suggest to a novice. Once that novice has some experience, then they likely wouldn't be asking us that kind of question anyway.... Sort of like talking about advanced geometry to a preschooler ????? No insult intended, but when someone with no experience asks if they'll be OK with XXXX.... if we "treat them as an experienced RV'er" we might just be setting them up for failure.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #66
John61CT

And plenty of very experienced overloaders can end up pear-shaped too, just hasn't happened **yet**,

some are less risk-averse than others, which is fine when it's just your own life you're risking.

Then again just like cancer sticks it's a question of statistical probability not black and white., impossible to eliminate all the risks of humans driving, but the rules are generally well-founded, best to stay within them.
John61CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:09 AM   #67
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Good points all, even yours Paul. Although hopefully no one pulls a handgun in this discussion and then the thread won't get locked. I believe an sr22 is usually required for DWI, driving with no insurance or no license. No matter, my point was that we read fairly often that the insurance isn't required to pay if an individual was breaking the law and that simply isn't true. Virtually all accidents end with a ticket for some infraction, some more serious than others and though your insurance premiums may escalate as a result, seldom is cancelation in the future. The idea of being sued later for gross negligence is sort of a horse of another color; very possible but not part of the original point to be made.
And lastly, Paul, I believe if this forum was dedicated to blown fuses in three-way refrigerators or complaints about Keystone roof leaks we would see membership dwindle and we would have very few active members. Opinionated members, not unlike yourself, are an integral part of the glue that keeps this site running forward.
As Daniel's last words in There will be Blood, "I'm finished."
What do you think the best tires are for my trailer? I am thinking about Chinese LT tires... See we can talk about something other than fuses, Keystone roofs and Nor(semi)cold! bwhahahaha
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:00 AM   #68
Dreamersandtravelers

Difference in 250/350?

Just a thought. In researching various parts between SRW F250 & F350 there appears to be slim variations in suspension. Granted leaf springs & shocks definitely differ as do tire sizes. Many beef up suspension with airbags, torsion bars & improve load-rated tires. Many with 1-ton trucks also add airbags to improve handling with the extra weight.
My point is basically with proper upgrades 3/4 ton can carry comparable weights as stock 1-ton vehicles. It's a fine line of legality not negligence.
Furthermore, there is also a factory decal on hitch for max towing of 16000 lbs. That's a tremendous amount of stopping power - using tow mode! Don't know what a 350 says.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #69
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ken,

To go "just a step further" on your comments, a few "heavy towers" (those who do it anyway, knowing their overweight) have enough experience to know their limits and, for the most part, avoid a situation that might cause a problem. When they tell a new owner, "Sure, you'll be OK, I do it all the time" they are making an assumption that the new owner has their same years of experience, know to never tow in winds above XX MPH, always tow at speeds lower than XX, allow double the expected distance from the vehicle in front of them, brace for every 18 wheeler that's about to pass you, tap the brake control to help avoid sway as that 18 wheeler passes, never steer against the sway and a host of other "I learned through the years how to make it work for me".... What the newcomer reads is, "I do it, you'll be OK" and when they get out on the highway with their family in the tow vehicle, get passed by an 18 wheeler on the right with a 30 MPH crosswind while doing the speed limit of 70MPH, well all HELL breaks loose and they damn near wind up in the ditch. Some actually do wind up "in the ditch" and I certainly wouldn't want it to be because of something I told them that I do "all the time".....

Just as nobody would want to be a passenger on a transcontinental 757 with a pilot who has only flown a Cessna 172 on his first flight, few of us ought to be suggesting that a "Cessna 172 pilot" would be OK towing something like a 757....

Sounds like you and I have much the same thoughts about experience levels, ability, equipment ratings and what we suggest to a novice. Once that novice has some experience, then they likely wouldn't be asking us that kind of question anyway.... Sort of like talking about advanced geometry to a preschooler ????? No insult intended, but when someone with no experience asks if they'll be OK with XXXX.... if we "treat them as an experienced RV'er" we might just be setting them up for failure.....
Newbie weighing in (again)
We came to the RVing completely raw. I've done my share of towing boats and even drove a semi for a short time, but never something like a TT. We were advised that the trucks we were considering were marginal for what we wanted to tow.
Having taken the advice given here and also from the people who sold us our WDH hitch, we couldn't be happier. I think it would be offputting to be in a situation where I dreaded going from CG a to CG b because my rig was unstable or overweight. I think that would spoil the experience for me.
So, I'll just throw some kudos out there to John, Danny and all the others here who have advised me on weight, trucks, TPMSs, fridges, water regulators, EMSs etc...
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #70
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamersandtravelers View Post
Just a thought. In researching various parts between SRW F250 & F350 there appears to be slim variations in suspension. Granted leaf springs & shocks definitely differ as do tire sizes. Many beef up suspension with airbags, torsion bars & improve load-rated tires. Many with 1-ton trucks also add airbags to improve handling with the extra weight.
My point is basically with proper upgrades 3/4 ton can carry comparable weights as stock 1-ton vehicles. It's a fine line of legality not negligence.
Furthermore, there is also a factory decal on hitch for max towing of 16000 lbs. That's a tremendous amount of stopping power - using tow mode! Don't know what a 350 says.

Thanks for your perspective! Your comments should keep this thread alive for many many additional pages!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #71
John61CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am thinking about Chinese LT tires
I hear Sailun S637 series are well made
John61CT is offline   Reply With Quote