Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #21
waltheraustin

It was much better! The winds were really high though so it was still a little hairy at times due to 16-20 mph winds. I've got some adjusting to do but there was a big improvement. The shocks will help in a few weeks with the rougher ride from the E rated tires.

I can feel the wind on the truck but I don't have to compensate with the steering wheel. One semi passed and was really close to hitting us but that was the one time I puckered
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Great! I'm glad the tire upgrade improved things. Hopefully your next mod will make it even better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:37 AM   #23
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltheraustin View Post
I was wondering when a half ton hater would show up.

No doubt a bigger truck would help but I've driving this thing on some big trips and it does fine. I'm just wanting to firm it up a little more which would be what any 3/4 ton driver would also want to do, no?
You don't have to hate 1/2 tons just understand that 1/2 tons are not capable of much. You beef it up and your spending money hoping to get where you would be with a stock 3/4 ton. So in the end what have you gained? It seems the younger generation wants their trucks to ride like Cadillac so they buy 1/2 tons and then want it to do the work of a much bigger truck which from the start is built to haul a heavy load without the extra money spent beefing it up
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #24
smoore0449

As a truck driver, I have two suggestions. E rated tires are one. And, when you see a rig approaching, try to hug the solid white line on the right when the rig is about to pass. Distance between the two vehicles minimizes the vacuum effect that you feel when a commercial vehicle passes you.
smoore0449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #25
Bullet1928

Four wheel drive vs two wheel drive

This is a different question than the original but does have to do with tow vehicle capabilities. I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 and am planning to upgrade to a one ton next year. Other than picking a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, al.l are in the mix, what is everyone's opinion about 2 wheel vs 4 wheel drive? I tow a Cougar 311 RES
Bullet1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #26
smoore0449

Depends if you travel into a snow belt or not.
smoore0449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:30 AM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet1928 View Post
This is a different question than the original but does have to do with tow vehicle capabilities. I have a 2006 Ford F-250 6.0 and am planning to upgrade to a one ton next year. Other than picking a Ford, Chevy or Dodge, al.l are in the mix, what is everyone's opinion about 2 wheel vs 4 wheel drive? I tow a Cougar 311 RES

I buy nothing but 4x4s simply because you don't know when you may need the capability. Of course, that could be never. On the other hand it has come in handy in multiple situations when I hadn't planned on it. Will you ever camp in unimproved campsites? What about on a grade? Get caught in sleet or snow? You just never know and I've found that it's always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Watched a guy with about a 30' trailer camped next to me in a dirt space, after 2 days of rain, try to leave and just sink his 4x2. A 4x4 would have got him out....and did.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #28
FlyingAroundRV

At the risk of hijacking a thread ...
We bought a 2WD truck in preference to 4WD because;
Less is more. Fewer things to wear out and go wrong. Less weight in the TV means more payload capacity. Finally, 2WDs are cheaper than 4WDs and lower to the ground so easier to get in and out of. This last bit is important for the DW who is vertically challenged. I ran a mile from any truck that had a "lift kit" or other non-factory mods.
AND, We would NEVER take our TT off road. It's not designed nor built for it, so we don't need the offroad truck.
2WD truck for us "Simplicate and add lightness."
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #29
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
At the risk of hijacking a thread ...
We bought a 2WD truck in preference to 4WD because;
Less is more. Fewer things to wear out and go wrong. Less weight in the TV means more payload capacity. Finally, 2WDs are cheaper than 4WDs and lower to the ground so easier to get in and out of. This last bit is important for the DW who is vertically challenged. I ran a mile from any truck that had a "lift kit" or other non-factory mods.
AND, We would NEVER take our TT off road. It's not designed nor built for it, so we don't need the offroad truck.
2WD truck for us "Simplicate and add lightness."
My Silverado 2500 HD is 4WD and high off the ground. When I brought it home to show my wife, her first comment was "you know, my mother will never be able to ride with us because she won't be able to climb up into it." That convinced me that I made the right call!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #30
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
My Silverado 2500 HD is 4WD and high off the ground. When I brought it home to show my wife, her first comment was "you know, my mother will never be able to ride with us because she won't be able to climb up into it." That convinced me that I made the right call!
Hmmmm. My MIL has a hard time getting in my 2WD F-150. If I get an F-250...

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #31
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #32
Fishsizzle

We had a bad TT. I went E rated tires on truck (2015 F150). Up grades go Maxxis tires on the trailer. Bilstiens on the truck, Big Helllwig sway bar on truck, Firestone bags, . Had fastway 4 point hitch. Tried every which way with the hitch, moved cargo etc. Thing was still all over the place.

Ended up with a 2010 F350, didn’t help one bit. Got an 2017 F250 nada.

Took it in Bone stock empty to trade in 5ver, almost went off the road taking it in. Trailer was just bad. Built bad. Was the Christine of TT.

Biggest help of all was the sway bar. It really made the truck hug the road. I’ll put a big bar on all my trucks now.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 AM   #33
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
We had a bad TT. I went E rated tires on truck (2015 F150). Up grades go Maxxis tires on the trailer. Bilstiens on the truck, Big Helllwig sway bar on truck, Firestone bags, . Had fastway 4 point hitch. Tried every which way with the hitch, moved cargo etc. Thing was still all over the place.

Ended up with a 2010 F350, didn’t help one bit. Got an 2017 F250 nada.

Took it in Bone stock empty to trade in 5ver, almost went off the road taking it in. Trailer was just bad. Built bad. Was the Christine of TT.

Biggest help of all was the sway bar. It really made the truck hug the road. I’ll put a big bar on all my trucks now.
That does sound possessed!

The truck did really well even with high winds but new tires on the TT will hopefully help as well.

New shocks will be here this week so I'm expecting even better on the next go round
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:19 AM   #34
Retired Copper

All that you done is what I would have done and did do up to a point. IMO you will have a sweet spot somewhere with the set up and with each addon you will increase that sweet spot but there will be a point where you have done all you can do. It doesn`t matter what the tv is IMO. There will be a point that the outside forces just make the tv squirrelly. Speed and the outside forces are what I getting at. On a clear no windy day with everything dialed in you tt may be good and stable at xx mphs. When I was pulling the same size trailer at about the same weights 58 to 60 was the sweet spot with the F150. Semi`s and wind very little effect. Maybe 4 out of 10 passing semi`s would get me a push. At 63mph it was felt moreand a little uncomfortable. I have the same with the 250 the sweet spot is all the way up to about 73 mph before I begin to feel the same effects as the 150. 68 is a happy place no push no bump just smooth. Wind up to 10 to 20 not felt. Weather will effect this 68 and I ever aware of changes conditions.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #35
Bullet1928

Tire pressure

I have a Cougar 311RES fifth wheel. I was running Endurance tires ( E rated tires- 80 psig max ) but due to circumstances I had to put G rated tires on the trailer. ( 110 psig max ) The max trailer weight is 12,400 lbs. I am wondering what pressure I should run the tires on this higher rated tire. I have tried to find a tire load rating table I can understand with little luck. The tire dealer said to run 90 lbs and I should be good. Any help would be apppreciated.
Bullet1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #36
notanlines

Very first thing is to look on the back of your wheels and see if they are rated for G tires. If they are then run at the maximum listed on the sidewall of the tire. You'll get a number of recommendation from having each tire footprint weighed and then allow 15% additional required pressure.....blah, blah, blah, to running the maximum on the placard on the driver's side of the RV. That is not the way to go in my opinion.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #37
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet1928 View Post
I have a Cougar 311RES fifth wheel. I was running Endurance tires ( E rated tires- 80 psig max ) but due to circumstances I had to put G rated tires on the trailer. ( 110 psig max ) The max trailer weight is 12,400 lbs. I am wondering what pressure I should run the tires on this higher rated tire. I have tried to find a tire load rating table I can understand with little luck. The tire dealer said to run 90 lbs and I should be good. Any help would be apppreciated.
Increasing tire load capacity (going from an E to a G) and not inflating to the max sidewall psi is a waste of money IMO. It's the air pressure that supports the weight not the tire sidewalls.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote