Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Classifieds Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 04:04 AM   #1
glendar10

Wink Wanted

Looking for a fifth wheel to rent in Chicago area? Would like a rear kitchen in a 29 fit. Or so unit. Looking to use for two weeks late May into June. Have 2019 f250 tow. Need to try so better half can say if she likes it or not before we buy one. Looking at keystone 1/2 ton cougar 299rks she love this unit .
Hope someone know of a great rental place in Illinois/Chicago area
Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #2
notanlines

Glendar, I don't know if you have researched this topic, but rental of any RV for a couple weeks is going to be quite the pricey experience. Average size class A's run about $400 per day plus expenses (insurance, etc) and medium class C's are about $250 per day, same situation. I don't know anyone who has rented a 5th wheel, most people wouldn't have a suitable TV with appropriate hitch.
There is a company in central Illinois that we had experience with (parts/service) that rented 5th wheelers, but I can't remember their name. Google would have to be your friend.
Good luck with your search.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Many RV dealers would likely consider renting a "USED" fifth wheel that's on their lot for sale. I don't think any dealer would rent a new, on the lot, ready for sale RV of any kind. Once they rent it to you, it becomes a "used unit" in the view of most customers, so the value would follow that opinion.... I know that's not the "legal definition of a used trailer" (which requires licensing/registration) but buyers don't look at "legal" when they see grease stains and chipped porcelain on the stove burner grate or scratches on the wall behind the rocker/recliner, etc.....

That said, you don't indicate how your truck is equipped and whether you have a hitch installed or not. If you do not have a hitch installed and do not have the "puck system" to mount a hitch, then your truck will require a 'major modification" by installing the under bed supports, drilling holes in your truck bed and mounting hitch rails inside the bed. That's not something you'd want to do "to see if you like fifth wheeling"....

Lots to consider, but you might start by finding a dealership with a used trailer similar to the one you want to try and see if they might "bite at a rental"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
flrtrader

Try RVSHARE, And Outdoorsy...

We often rent our TT there and have had great results.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
glendar10

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Many RV dealers would likely consider renting a "USED" fifth wheel that's on their lot for sale. I don't think any dealer would rent a new, on the lot, ready for sale RV of any kind. Once they rent it to you, it becomes a "used unit" in the view of most customers, so the value would follow that opinion.... I know that's not the "legal definition of a used trailer" (which requires licensing/registration) but buyers don't look at "legal" when they see grease stains and chipped porcelain on the stove burner grate or scratches on the wall behind the rocker/recliner, etc.....

That said, you don't indicate how your truck is equipped and whether you have a hitch installed or not. If you do not have a hitch installed and do not have the "puck system" to mount a hitch, then your truck will require a 'major modification" by installing the under bed supports, drilling holes in your truck bed and mounting hitch rails inside the bed. That's not something you'd want to do "to see if you like fifth wheeling"....

Lots to consider, but you might start by finding a dealership with a used trailer similar to the one you want to try and see if they might "bite at a rental"...
Have puck system as truck was setup to tow a fifth wheel even tho Joe Cotton ford did a very bad job as payload on a f260 is only 2015 with a 6.7 diesel sb king ranch. Hardest part of this is finding something close to the Cougar 29 1:2 ton wit at least 2 slides. Have trailer package and all the electrical equipment even the cameras to back up just put sticker on a frame of TT and is help you back up.
Again thanks will try dealer used for something 25 to 30 ft. With 2 slides
Just to see if she likes camping after 20 years off.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
Frederick

I can assure you that 2 weeks will not even be close to showing the problems you will encounter pulling a 5er not even close look at the pages of problems on this forum and it will give you an idea what our getting into
Old 01-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Good Luck in your new adventure, I am sure it will interesting

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
I can assure you that 2 weeks will not even be close to showing the problems you will encounter pulling a 5er not even close look at the pages of problems on this forum and it will give you an idea what our getting into
What kind of problems do you foresee? I have been yanking a fifth wheel around since 1989 and haven't encountered any "show stopping" troubles yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.